Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

12 hours ago, techteach said:

@Ray66 I don’t think I agree with you. The masts are wrong and it’s a much smaller ship. What about the dericks, I think that’s what they’re called, aren’t on a cruise ship ocean liner.

The way I got to "Antonia" is that someone on Ebay is selling a postcard with the exact same  picture as on your poster and they are calling it The Antonia. On the reverse of the postcard it says:

The Antonia was launched in 1921 for the London- Canada run. Operated the Liverpool-Glasgow-Belfast- Canada routed from 1928-1939. Requisitioned during the war and never returned to Cunard service. Broken up in 1948.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put a link on to the Ebay advert so I'd better not.

• Like 1

Enjoyed watching the sunrise in Vancouver… awaiting our Alaska sailing on QE.

We will be sailing tomorrow, and we are looking so forward to it.

Today we relax in Vancouver, go hiking at the Capilano Bridge Suspension Park, eat good food, and wait for Queen Elizabeth. 
Can’t wait to be on her again.

• Like 7

Today is apparently International Cat Day - I’ve just observed a neighbour’s cat enjoying the nepeta (cat mint) in our garden as part of her festivities. Unfortunately we have yet more miserable  weather so I think most of our local felines will be curled up somewhere warm, dry and cosy. For the many cats and their human friends who frequent this board, have a purr-fect day!  😻

• Like 5

Another day on the water in New England on the Thames River in New London, CT:

Closest anyone can get to a nuclear sub under construction, US Coast Guard training barque Eagle, some serious security around submarine station. IMG_3633.thumb.jpeg.d271ef681370716220b1650e782f7d56.jpeg

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3599.jpeg

• Like 2

I have been reflecting on a round trip I took in 2015 from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Back. We had a day on Maui, and the ship was tendered to and from Lahaina. When you first got ashore there was an enormous Banyan Tree, now we are told it was (or maybe is) the largest in the islands. Banyans have the habit of creating support for long branches by dropping roots down and creating new trunks. 

We walked along Front Street and had lunch at the Lahaina Yacht Club a favorite eatery of mine over the years on a deck over looking the pacific teeming with whales.  On either side of the street were shops and one story shopping centers selling all kinds of Hawaiian gifts, including shirts from Hilo Hatties.

Now it is all gone, and the terrible fire has taken the lives of 100+ people and probably many more. The historic Hawaiian Royal Capitol is mostly gone. I feel very sad. 

I took a picture of the Banyan Tree and it is here

LahainaMaui001.thumb.JPG.c97bd6cba5fb5b3193e407100cc2a0c4.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I have been reflecting on a round trip I took in 2015 from Los Angeles to Hawaii and Back. We had a day on Maui, and the ship was tendered to and from Lahaina. When you first got ashore there was an enormous Banyan Tree, now we are told it was (or maybe is) the largest in the islands. Banyans have the habit of creating support for long branches by dropping roots down and creating new trunks. 

We walked along Front Street and had lunch at the Lahaina Yacht Club a favorite eatery of mine over the years on a deck over looking the pacific teeming with whales.  On either side of the street were shops and one story shopping centers selling all kinds of Hawaiian gifts, including shirts from Hilo Hatties.

Now it is all gone, and the terrible fire has taken the lives of 100+ people and probably many more. The historic Hawaiian Royal Capitol is mostly gone. I feel very sad. 

I took a picture of the Banyan Tree and it is here

LahainaMaui001.thumb.JPG.c97bd6cba5fb5b3193e407100cc2a0c4.JPG

I should have noted the voyage was on Queen Victoria.