Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Camgirl said:

My husband is currently working from home. He is thinking he is going to be doing that long term. Possibly to the end of the year or even beyond. 

I think this virus might change the way a lot of people work with lots more working from home than before.

It amuses me, it's only last year I was trying to negotiate more home working for staff and getting nowhere. Now we know it actually works reasonably well for some people I can imagine it'll last a while here as well.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

I live in Wales, no driving to exercise here.

IMG_20200521_110234.png

The summary wording is "should be avoided unless there is a good reason for doing so".  The detailed guidance talks about "in general" and "no journey of any significant distance" but doesn't rule out driving to exercise completely.

Reading between the lines, you are allowed to drive to exercise but they don't want everyone driving to the Snowdonia National Park and similar to do so.

We live in Palm Beach County, Florida and restrictions are being lifted even though the number of COVID cases continue to rise in our county. People are out and about, sadly the majority are not following guidelines, wearing masks, in public places. Streets are becoming more crowded with people, walking, talking, dining and socializing and not staying apart from each other. I am worried that we will again have a greater than usual rise in cases.

My husband and I remain at home, do not go to restaurants, do not go to hair salons and do not congregate with groups of people. We are walking in our neighborhood, with masks when other people are around, and generally remaining vigilant. My husband spends time with his orchids and I spend a good deal of time reading and working for my political party, by phone and internet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It amuses me, it's only last year I was trying to negotiate more home working for staff and getting nowhere. Now we know it actually works reasonably well for some people I can imagine it'll last a while here as well.

Yes, Mr camgirl tried and was told "no" even to a day or so working from home. How times have changed!

LewiLewi, it sounds like you are taking sensible steps to keep safe to me. And that can only be a good thing.

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Yes, Mr camgirl tried and was told "no" even to a day or so working from home. How times have changed!

LewiLewi, it sounds like you are taking sensible steps to keep safe to me. And that can only be a good thing.

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Fortunately people in Wales seem to be following the spirit of the regulations rather than "reading between the lines".

I wish people in England were behaving more like the Welsh! I can't help thinking it will only lead to another spike in infections. And that would be a tragedy. 

• Like 1

A few more places and businesses are opening in Florida with restrictions and modifications. We are not personally ready to try them all at this time, but are interested to see how they go.

We are continuing to practice social distancing while enjoying hiking or riding bicycles at our recently opened Florida State Parks. This has seemed like a great solution for us- be outside, get exercise, and to explore all while maintaining safe distances.
Although we have been exclusively cooking this whole time, we do plan to pick up some carry out from some favorite local restaurants soon- we want to support them.

We had a separate cancellation for a resort where we were waiting on a refund because of the pandemic... and it took until today- just one day shy of 60 days- for that refund to come in. So, certainly things are taking time with travel refunds... but that came through around 60 days.

Hope you all are well and finding joy where you can.

C9ACD465-FF32-4336-A62A-0D08C52EA9F3.jpeg

• Like 3

I am luck enough to have a garden but I can also I am within walking distance of the countryside.   I can understand why people who live in cities want to travel.  Maybe I am greedy, but I don't want to share my countryside visit with thousands of others even when things were "normal".

17 hours ago, Camgirl said:

I wish people in England were behaving more like the Welsh! I can't help thinking it will only lead to another spike in infections. And that would be a tragedy. 

I really hope not, it's an interesting experiment for us to watch what's happening "next door".  To be honest most of the things I'm really missing won't be allowed for a while anyway, going on holiday being the main one. We usually have something planned and all my Facebook memory reminders of holidays aren't helping ! With all the terrible things happening elsewhere it seems really self indulgent to be sad about missing holidays but hopefully this is a safe space for those thoughts.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up, Bank Holiday Monday and then our Anniversary on Tuesday. I went for 2001 vintage port in the end, I might save the Krug for his *0 birthday in July. We're still hoping to be able to have a party for that but time will tell.

Have a good weekend everyone and thanks for telling us how things are where you are.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am luck enough to have a garden but I can also I am within walking distance of the countryside.   I can understand why people who live in cities want to travel.  Maybe I am greedy, but I don't want to share my countryside visit with thousands of others even when things were "normal".

I know what you mean Lanky Lad - my other half and I prefer our favourite spots when they are quiet too. We are very happy for others to share them - when we are not there! ☺️

My OH & I both work for the same large, national organisation and were told this week about the 4 phase plan for returning staff to our buildings - apparently the estate can only safely accommodate staff whose work and circumstances fall into phases 1 & 2, so the rest of us should expect to continue working from home for 6 - 12 months at least. However, we have also been told that the impact of the changes will be long term and that we won’t be going back to the old ways of working, which means it looks as though the freedom and flexibility to work from home is here to stay for many of us.  Most of us belong belong to at least one of the trades unions which cover our sector and from my perspective, there seems to have been really good engagement with them on the whole which has benefited both sides.

We’re coming into a long weekend here in the UK with a bank holiday on Monday. I also have Tuesday off. The weather forecast for west Berkshire continues to be set fair though we could really do with a good downpour to repair some of the damage my OH did to the lawn when he scorched the grass with too much weed killer. 🙄

I am planning to vary my shopping routine today - going to visit a nearby M&S food hall for a few treats then do our normal Waitrose shop tomorrow because I will also have a John Lewis parcel to collect. We are also thinking of trying a takeaway tonight from a local pub as a change from pizza. 

The radishes and salad leaves I have been growing are ready to eat now so I regard this as a small triumph over the garden predators which have got there before me in the past!

Enjoy the weekend wherever you are!

@Host Hattie - have a very happy anniversary on Tuesday and enjoy the port!

I’m in the same boat as you - most of things I am missing won’t be an option for a while (haircuts!, visiting the coast, going out for coffee or a nice meal, cocktails in the Commodore Club 😊) - but agree we all have these thoughts and it’s ok to air them.  I did some “venting” on our weekly work team call on Wednesday - it was quite spontaneous but I am one of those people who will usually say “I’m fine, thanks” even if I’m not, if someone says “how are you?”. I hasten to add it was nothing to do with the lack of cocktails(!) but it turned out to be helpful because some other colleagues then felt they could off-load too. A problem aired is a problem shared and all that. 

• Like 2

Yesterday, Thursday is my usual shopping day. I also had errands, drop clothes at the cleaners, visit the bank, and I went to Trader Joe's the specialty grocer. Once again lines and limits. The large super was also very busy. I think this has more to do with the Memorial Day holiday on Monday, rather than a big change in shopping habits. 

We are well into 'summer' by temperature and humidity. 90f (32c), but the good news is that the pool is now 85f (29.4) I know you Brits think that is way too warm, but with arthritis that comes with 'maturity' cold water is not a pleasant swim. I do deep water aerobics and the water temp where one can move about with out pain is wonderful. Some scientists say that warm weather will help diminish the spread of the virus. I hope that is so. two weeks into the re-opening and there has not been a spike in cases, other than those that have resulted from an increase in testing which was expected. Hospitalizations are down significantly which is probably a better measure. Effective today restaurants in Texas can have 50% capacity for dine in, as we move into phase two of the re-opening. 

Monday and Tuesday I will spend the day listening to HRH The Prince of Wales who is doing two programs on Classic FM 8:00 p.m BST, 2 pm CDT here. He is quite right about the ability of classical music to diminish stress and anxiety which we have by the ton these days. I have a lovely steak to toss on the grill, Monday along with a baked potato and a nice salad. Not the Queens Grill, but then not bad either. Best wishes to Brits on your Late May Bank Holiday, and to my fellow Americans have a wonderful Memorial day. 

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 3

Host Hattie, I hope mr HH will be able to celebrate his *0 birthday in style by July. Mr Camgirl celebrated his 60th just over a week ago. We were meant to be in Norway on QV with friends. I have to say though, I think he had a very good day in the end. We ended with a surprise online quiz with about 40 of his family joining in. He wouldn't have seen them otherwise.

I agree with the list of things I miss most. I really want to go to the coast, have fish and chips there and walk on the sand in the sun. I would love to go and sit in the garden of a quaint country pub for a drink. And I really miss just going to a cafe or being able to go for a meal out. I have now booked a cruise in October 2021 using our fcc from the cancelled cruise, in the hope that we will be able to go by then. A hugely long way off but a cruise to look forward to I hope!

And I do feel guilty for missing these things so much when others have lost family members. We are very lucky in so many ways but it doesn't stop us being human and thinking of the small things that matter to us as well as the bigger things that are affecting the world.

• Like 3

I am thankful that at present, I don't have anything more to worry about than my next cruise.  The thing I am missing most is visiting my friend who I have not seen since March.  

My June cruise (not with Cunard) has been cancelled so now booked for July 2021.  I have cancelled the hotels and trains.  So far Premier Inn as the only ones to have processed a refund.  They were very quick so a big thank you to them. 

We had home grown potatoes today, not very big, but lovely.  

I've heard from my London friend (and in messages here) that it's been in the 70s in the UK. Here in Philadelphia we've had temps in the 60s (18 centigrade), which is very unusual. I think we might finally be heading to a warm spell this week.

In this week's installment of "We wish we were on board the QM2, but we'll settle for this", we shared a nice bottle of champagne at a table for two in The Verandah. We would have worn our tuxes, except the black of the suits got confused with the green screen backdrop, and our suits esentially disappeared! Shades of red appears to be the best color to wear.

Verandah - Table for two.jpg

• Like 3

It's been a chilly, windy day here, good for drying washing but not much else.

It's supposed to improve over the next couple of days.

I watched a couple of sessions of the Hay Festival online which were very enjoyable. The BBC journalist mentioned in passing returning to the US on Queen Mary 2 so there was a tenuous Cunard connection.

Mid day on the Memorial Day Holiday. Last night, the Memorial Concert from Washington, usually with thousands on the Mall, was done remotely with bands and artists in distant locations like Nashville. Rene Flemming did sing a couple of songs from a roof top over looking the Capitol building. Some of the concert was from earlier years using video recordings made in 2015 and later. 

Yesterday, it was very rainy in my part of Texas (southeast) with 1.6 inches, and an incredible lightening storm always fun to watch from the safety of the screened porch and the air has been cooled to a moderate 80f (27c) and with the moisture out of the air more comfortable. Showers expected this evening and tomorrow. I collect my Bearss Lime and Meyer Lemon trees from the nursery tomorrow and put them in pots to replace trees that had gotten too root bound to grow in the pots.

I had planned to grill steaks today, but yesterday forgot to put my rack of lamb in the wine marinade with herbs de Provence in the refrigerator. So I did so this morning and will roast it tonight and leave the steaks frozen until next Sunday.

I live in a forested community in a semi rural part of the area with private roads. Today, the neighborhood entertainment committee staged a "graduates' parade with the kids graduating from high Schools, middle schools and elementary schools riding in decorated golf carts throughout the neighborhood. It was fun to watch and a fire engine led the parade. That will suffice for formal graduation events this year. 

I understand that the U.K. is instituting 14 day quarantines for visitors, starting 1 June. That puts my plan to have a flying visit to London in July for a pal's 50th birthday on permanent hold. Fortnums to the rescue with a bottle of Le Grande Dame.

sent for the occasion. 

And so we begin another week and soon another month, with the economy gradually creaking back into operation, stores, restaurants and bars opening with social distance limitations. Sadly many of these business owned by individuals will never re-open. But there is a feeling that we are moving forward. 

Some shops and outdoor markets here in England will open in June, with other shops opening later in the month.   No news yet on when pubs will be able to re-open. 

Edited by Lanky Lad

4 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Mid day on the Memorial Day Holiday. Last night, the Memorial Concert from Washington, usually with thousands on the Mall, was done remotely with bands and artists in distant locations like Nashville. Rene Flemming did sing a couple of songs from a roof top over looking the Capitol building. Some of the concert was from earlier years using video recordings made in 2015 and later. 

Yes, we watched the concert last night too... and thought they did a good job despite the differences.

We watch and love the concert every year.

Still no news on when the lockdown will be lifted in Wales, we've had a lovely couple of days, today was due to be cloudy but has turned out to be lovely so far.

The port was well received, I was amused that Mr HH has been the one to go out shopping and I got a bottle of chocolate wine out of one of our cupboards ! He's doing something up a ladder at the moment but once that's finished we'll be opening the champagne.🍾

I have received email confirmation that I will get refunds for the rail tickets for June so that is good.  But still nothing from Holiday Inn about when I can expect a refund from them. 

It has been cloudy here all day, but clear now so off to watch the ISS pass overhead.

14 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I have received email confirmation that I will get refunds for the rail tickets for June so that is good.  But still nothing from Holiday Inn about when I can expect a refund from them. 

It has been cloudy here all day, but clear now so off to watch the ISS pass overhead.

When I cancelled my Holiday Inn Express hotel booking I was told refunds would be from head office within 14 days since then was told being paid by individual hotels by Manager when it reopens on 15th May which it didnt it is still closed. It does say on their website that refunds can take up to 90 days.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Yesterday, it was very rainy in my part of Texas (southeast) with 1.6 inches, and an incredible lightening storm always fun to watch from the safety of the screened porch and the air has been cooled to a moderate 80f (27c) and with the moisture out of the air more comfortable. Showers expected this evening and tomorrow. I collect my Bearss Lime and Meyer Lemon trees from the nursery tomorrow and put them in pots to replace trees that had gotten too root bound to grow in the pots.

I had planned to grill steaks today, but yesterday forgot to put my rack of lamb in the wine marinade with herbs de Provence in the refrigerator. So I did so this morning and will roast it tonight and leave the steaks frozen until next Sunday.

I live in a forested community in a semi rural part of the area with private roads. Today, the neighborhood entertainment committee staged a "graduates' parade with the kids graduating from high Schools, middle schools and elementary schools riding in decorated golf carts throughout the neighborhood. It was fun to watch and a fire engine led the parade. That will suffice for formal graduation events this year. 

I understand that the U.K. is instituting 14 day quarantines for visitors, starting 1 June. That puts my plan to have a flying visit to London in July for a pal's 50th birthday on permanent hold. Fortnums to the rescue with a bottle of Le Grande Dame.

sent for the occasion. 

And so we begin another week and soon another month, with the economy gradually creaking back into operation, stores, restaurants and bars opening with social distance limitations. Sadly many of these business owned by individuals will never re-open. But there is a feeling that we are moving forward. 

I watch the Memorial day concert every year. Considering the covid they did a good job. It has been rainy and clouds for days here in Minnesota. Cannot finish my planting but the tomato plants in pots seem to be doing fine. We are still mostly on lock down here. Our governor is doing things slowly which is ok with me.

Need new glasses but will have to wait. For sure need a haircut but that will have to wait some more time. 

Watching the launch of the Space X but bad weather there so that may not happen.

Aside from missing all the events I attend all my volunteer work is not happening. Last event I volunteered for was 2/22 and anxious to start helping again.

Am very anxious to get back on the QM2 for our New England Canada cruise since we canceled the 9/11 one and daughter says no we cannot go on the 10/9 one cause of the covid-. So I will just be depressed.

Lots of problems here in Minnesota. Enough said.

Cruising has to start sometime or what is the point of life???????????? We have cruised for 48 years, many lines and ships there is nothing better than being on a ship.

Stay safe out there.