Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

I met my other half at work too! We worked together for about 3 years - I thought I was in love with someone else, it didn’t work out and then I went on a work trip to Canada and had an epiphany,  got over the other guy and came back and realised how I felt about the bloke who was to become my other half (we haven’t made it down the aisle yet but I fancy a civil partnership - he doesn’t know that though!!). 

Anyway, I got promoted and left our team for another job in the same building and a few months later we got together.  The rest, as they say, is history, and we’ve been together for nearly 16 years. We still work in the same building, albeit on different floors and I mostly listen to him moaning about his job, so it’s all fine really as I don’t particularly want to talk about my mine.  ☺️

So that’s how it happened for us and now you know a secret that the maybe-at-some-point, “Mr Kynance”, doesn’t know! ❤️

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alc13 said:

Oh, a deer got to a newly planted Rudbeckia a couple of nights ago.  Do I need to glue chili peppers to the remaining leaves?  Fortunately the rest of the new plantings were untouched.  Fingers crossed.

One thing you might try, is to dust the leaves generously with chili powder. Do it in the morning when the leaves are damp with dew. You might have to do it several times. It has worked for me. The problem is I have automatic sprinklers and every other day it washed off, so that is why I fence now.

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

No need to apologise about Europa 2, how was it ?

It was wonderful.  The ship was brand new, for one thing.  It mostly had a lavish feel that we hadn't really experienced before - an example being heaps of caviar on caviar nights.  The only downside was that it is a German ship, and although it  operated as a bilingual cruise some functions were not really available to the English speakers.  Most of the German passengers spoke English, though, so we never felt isolated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

One thing you might try, is to dust the leaves generously with chili powder. Do it in the morning when the leaves are damp with dew. You might have to do it several times. It has worked for me. The problem is I have automatic sprinklers and every other day it washed off, so that is why I fence now.

I'm on it!  Thanks for the tip.

Deer hunting season here is in November.  We're told to wear bright orange vests or jackets when we are outside.  Someone also told me to wear a hat, because my hair is now pretty much all white, and hunters could mistake me for a white-tailed deer.  The deer seemed to disappear from around our house around the middle of October last year; I think they knew what was up.

I was just thinking about the World Cruise that we were supposed to be on this Jan. 2021 on the Queen Victoria from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton. We have cancelled our reservation, but the ship is still listed as sailing as of now. I can’t imagine that they would actually sail because of the pandemic, but also that anyone would want to sail at this time. It is still seven months away, but short of a miracle cure, I don’t see this cruise happening.

I wonder if we would ever feel completely safe cruising for 100 days around the world again. I am glad that we were able to enjoy three World Cruises on Cunard and Holland America over the past few years.

Our village shop keeper is booked on Queen Victoria for the World Cruise, it would be her first cruise ! 

We had some warm sunshine earlier but it's raining again now. We're waiting for our food delivery from the pub, Chicken Katsu curry for me, I thought I should try something new.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

We went to do our weekly Waitrose shop in the nearby small town of Thatcham today and on the way back to the car my other half noticed a few people had Costa takeaway cups. I walked over to the store to see if there was a queue and there was only one other customer inside. I ordered a couple of drinks to go, gushing to the barista “I can’t tell you how much I have been looking forward to this!”  

Although it was quiet, the store looked very well organised to cope with a queue - the door was open, there is hand sanitiser and a clear, one way system with 2 metre distance markings.  All the sugar & stirrers are behind the counters, which have Perspex fronts. Apparently it has been quiet since they re-opened but I will definitely return. Costa is my favourite chain for the coffee itself, they pay all their taxes in the UK and committed to paying their staff in full for at least  2 months before the furlough scheme was announced, so I want to support them. 

I had no idea that drinking takeout coffee in a car park in the sunshine could produce an endorphin rush but it really made my day. It’s probably been the most pleasurable hot beverage I’ve had since ordering a latte at the Chart Room bar on QV, during the first sea day of our last cruise.  😊

• Like 4

I love their raspberry and almond bakes !

We had thunderstorms forecast today but it's been lovely and Mr HH is just lighting the barbecue.

I have a complaint though ! For as long as I can remember our Sunday morning routine has included listening to "The Archers" omnibus edition. They ran out of new episodes about 6 weeks ago so we had 3 weeks of "classic episodes" and now we're suffering with the characters talking to themselves. It's dreadful ! I know with everything happening in the world it's a pathetic thing to complain about but I don't understand why a radio programme couldn't have done a better job. On the other hand we watched the first 2 episodes of "Staged", Michael Sheen and David Tennant in lockdown and loved it.

Stay safe everyone, especially if you're in an area where your numbers are going in the wrong direction.

• Like 2

@Host Hattie - I’m an occasional listener to The Archers and caught one of the episodes you’re referring to and agree they could have done something else. I know the format is to do with understanding the characters’ feelings but “Staged” is a brilliant example of what you can do quickly using something like Zoom. I was really excited when I heard David Tennant & Michael Sheen we’re going to make this show and it has lived up to my expectations.  I’ve seen both of these actors on stage and in various TV & films they have done and they just have “chemistry”. At long last, apart from my Poldark repeats, I have something else to enjoy watching in lockdown since we finished watching Bosch. (Mind you, I should probably put lockdown in quotes for now, as it is definitely slipping where I live). 

I am not in a rush to go shopping on Monday when shops re-open in England, but I think I will be heading back to Costa for another latte and a tuna melt. 😊

Take care everyone and have a good week

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 8:54 AM, LewiLewi said:

I was just thinking about the World Cruise that we were supposed to be on this Jan. 2021 on the Queen Victoria from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton. We have cancelled our reservation, but the ship is still listed as sailing as of now. I can’t imagine that they would actually sail because of the pandemic, but also that anyone would want to sail at this time. It is still seven months away, but short of a miracle cure, I don’t see this cruise happening.

I wonder if we would ever feel completely safe cruising for 100 days around the world again. I am glad that we were able to enjoy three World Cruises on Cunard and Holland America over the past few years.

LewiLewi,

I share your concerns. We are still booked on a segment (Ft.Lauderdale to San Francisco) of the Jan. 2021 Queen Victoria World Cruise. Will Cunard proceed with this huge commitment, will there be an available vaccine and/or treatment, will ports of call be open and will the onboard experience still be enjoyable. We need the answer to all 4 of these questions to be YES before we will set sail. And while there are still 7 months before departure, our final payment is due on September 20th, just 3 months away. For us, that will be decision day. I just can't see sending Cunard a check for U$10,000 if it looks like we won't be sailing. At this point, I put the odds of this cruise happening for us at 50/50. Encouragingly, the Oxford University - AstraZeneca vaccine effort seems to be making great progress. The fact that they are starting to ramp up production, with a goal of 400M doses ready by September, even though they have just started Phase 3 testing, says a lot about how confident they are. China may even be ahead of this schedule though they may drag their feet a bit on sharing. So for now, we are going to stay the course and keep our fingers crossed. The good news is that the MG has come out of winterization and started right up. Even though we no longer have places to go, we are still enjoying getting out for afternoon drives with the top down. Well, that's not exactly true, there is the weekly curbside pickup at the wine store. If only they sold Pol Acker in the US. That and the scones Dee has learned to make would go a long way while we wait to cruise on Cunard again. 

Jack

• Like 4

Retired from the Health Care Profession but still well involved, I think Cruise Lines first have to get a handle on fully understanding this Virus. Also, how to handle it when it would occur with the regular Flu season. A regular Noro attack to a sailing ship is disturbing enough to the on board population.

I think we as the information being posted, will be wearing masks for quite some time possibly until next spring and possibly summer of 2021. It is the best possible first line of defense. Since certain Viruses and this particular Virus is so unstable still not knowing much about it. The year before last Flu Shot only covered 10% of what was expected. We are still anticipating the effect of the Vaccine for the Virus and how it will interact with the Flu Vaccine. Also how those that were effected by the Virus will need to defend it.

Granted being an avid Veteran Cunarder we were not happy when they labeled Cruise Ships Floating Petri Dishes.

Having a sailing rebooked from this June to next June 2021, we hope and pray that this situation will be solved and we can return to cruising once again. If precautions must continue, then we will make a decision or have faith in this is the way it will be.

Hello everyone from Kirwee NZ it has been a beautiful day here 22deg C  not to bad for half way through the first month of Winter but we have been told it will all turn to Custard for the weekend high of 9deg. Anyway after 24 Covid free days we have been told we now have 2 new cases in  people returning home from UK they were allowed out of quarantine on compassionate grounds .We have now been told no more exemptions will be given. They were on a flight from UK via Doha via Brisbane then Auckland so they could have picked it up anywhere. It sure is a petty nasty bug. Hope everyone is well Regards Allison

• Like 1

Gosh, how frustrating erniebernie. I hope it has been stopped before it spreads again. 

Our non essential shops reopened yesterday to long queues! Not my idea of fun, I won't be rushing down to go shopping any time soon.

It's another lovely sunny day here, so far. We are still going for our walks first thing in the morning. However, we overslept slightly today and it was already getting a bit hot for walking round! Almost felt like we were on holiday!!

Back home now and my husband is working away upstairs. 

Just hoping and praying that the numbers of infections and deaths keep coming down, whilst watching with alarm as China has another outbreak.

Keep on staying safe everyone.

@erniebernie sorry that your Covid free status has been ruined by people from the UK but hopefully your track and trace system will prevent onward transmission. 

Cases and deaths are still going in the right direction here but we're a long way from eradication. We'll find out on Friday what lockdown changes there will be in Wales. 

I'm not very confident about being able to hold Mr HH's birthday party in just over 5 weeks.

Apparently there was a question about the cruise industry at a daily briefing at No 10.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has thrown his government’s support behind the cruise industry, as it continues to wade its way through what are some very choppy conditions.

“Like all industries, the cruise industry is going to have to go through – in the short-term at least – a period of self-reinvention to make sure it is COVID-secure,” Johnson replied.

“I have no doubt that it can do it. It’s a great British sector and we will support it in any way we can.”

Johnson’s show of support has been applauded by Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) UK and Ireland’s director, Andy Harmer.

“As the prime minister has said, the cruise industry is a ‘great British industry’. The industry generates £10 billion to the UK economy each year. It is also a resilient industry.

“We are currently working closely with the government, health authorities and ports to develop even more enhanced health protocols as we plan for the future resumption of operations. We look forward to playing our part in the country’s economic recovery.”

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article/we-will-support-it-in-any-way-we-can-uk-prime-minister-backs-cruise-industry/

Edited by Ray66

It's been pouring down here most of the day, some of the puddles on my way home were really quite deep. Some valley towns were flooded overnight and I think there were more floods during the day.

I have my first Community Council meeting via Zoom this evening, we last met properly in February. I'm predicting a car crash but we'll see !

Happy Friday everyone, our Community Council went pretty well last night considering it was our first attempt.

We've had some relaxation of restrictions in Wales, from Monday non-essential shops can open and house viewings are allow for empty properties. The 5 miles guideline is still in place but might be lifted by early July. No household bubbles so we can still only meet people from different households outside unless they're work colleagues, delivery drivers in which case it's fine to share an office !

Have a good weekend everyone and stay safe.

I am lucky that I live in England where we can bubble. 

As my August cruise has been cancelled, I have changed my days off so that I am off for three days.  I don't know if I will even be back at work but better safe than sorry.

The plan is now for a road trip starting on Saturday and ending in Southampton on Tuesday to match up with the hotel I had booked. 

We continue to do plenty of baking during this time.

Father's Day in the US is on Sunday- so I have made bread for my father and grandfather as presents... we are a bread loving family (low carb is just not our thing), and I am the only living person in my family who makes it from scratch now. In my family, you don't get much better than a present of homemade bread.

Several years ago, my sweet husband gave me a birthday present of bread baking classes at a true cooking school. I learned so much there- and I have continued improving my skills since then.

There are many things that I have hated about this pandemic in regards to my work and to missing travel- but what I have loved has been making bread and learning new skills and recipes in the process. I am definitely a better bread baker since all of this began... and I can be grateful for that.

• Like 3

Philadelphia is slowly reopening. Restaurants with outdoor seating resumed this week. Many more services, such as hair salons, will be able to open in the next week or two. From what I've seen on the news, many folks in other areas assumed the virus was vanquished when things reopened. So far it seems to me that folks are behaving properly here: keeping their social distance, wearing masks, etc. I hope that continues. And I hope everyone here is staying safe.

We had our weekly happy hour last week, but I was too busy to do one of our QM2 backdrops for that call. I had the time this week, so we returned to the Queen Mary for our happy hour: this week in the Laurent Perrier Champagne Bar. I apologize if we blocked anyone who was trying to enter the lounge via the main entrance: we set up our table right in the entrance!

Untitled Project (Time 0_29_43;15).jpg

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Philadelphia is slowly reopening. Restaurants with outdoor seating resumed this week. Many more services, such as hair salons, will be able to open in the next week or two. From what I've seen on the news, many folks in other areas assumed the virus was vanquished when things reopened. So far it seems to me that folks are behaving properly here: keeping their social distance, wearing masks, etc. I hope that continues. And I hope everyone here is staying safe.

We had our weekly happy hour last week, but I was too busy to do one of our QM2 backdrops for that call. I had the time this week, so we returned to the Queen Mary for our happy hour: this week in the Laurent Perrier Champagne Bar. I apologize if we blocked anyone who was trying to enter the lounge via the main entrance: we set up our table right in the entrance!

Untitled Project (Time 0_29_43;15).jpg

Bravo, Well done Frank. I think I liked it better when it was the Veuve Cliquot Champagne Bar, but that is a personal taste. 

23 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I think I liked it better when it was the Veuve Cliquot Champagne Bar

I don't recall it, from when it was the Veuve Cliquot. And it doesn't appear that I have any photos, from when it was that incarnation. I must not have spent much, if any, time there. I do think the current design is very attractive, though. And I have spent time there under the current nomenclature.