Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Hi All,

Well like everyone is mentioning, we too in the USA in NYC the soon to be "Baked Big Apple" is bearing with the heat besides the other situations we are dealing with ex. CVirus-19.

We are unfortunately dealing with a AC situation at home. A new AC Unit installed was missing a drain hose when placed in and we are working to have this resolved but it may take time for it to be obtained and installed. So my DW is not happy with this as she has some respiratory concerns.

Unfortunately we are disappointed this year since our 4th of July Sailing on the QM2 was cancelled for this upcoming Monday. Oh how we were so looking forward to it since we had medical difficulties last year and missed that sailing. Yes, like many we would so busy now preparing with all that has to be done before a sailing. So many would be traveling to NYC for the sailing. We are blessed that we are only 12 minutes away from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and it easy for us each time from NYC.

More news that has been broadcasted this Morning in NYC....The New York Marathon held each November has been cancelled till next year for reasons of the Virus. I know many other Marathons in the Country has also been postponed.

The Macy 4th of July Fireworks Celebration is being altered due to the Virus would attract too many speculators. But there will be small displays of Fireworks in each borough each night starting this Monday to Friday for 5 minutes. Then the traditional Macy Fireworks display on the 4th will be held along with the other boroughs but short.

And the three Governors of NY, NJ and Conn. have placed a Travel Ban on any Travelers entering from those State with Rising Virus Counts to be Quarantined 14 days. This is being done since the Tri State Area worked so hard to lower the numbers dramatically.

USA & NYC is oh so busy.......

Keep Cool & Keep Safe......   

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

74 in San Bruno  Ca today. Normally we get fog in the summer but not much this year which makes going for a walk more enjoyable.  Got first hair cut this morning since Feb. feels good. Watching the stock go down. Tempted to buy more but I have enough.

watching Norwegian Lites and Canary Islands booked for late-next year. Prices remaining stable after initial increase in Princess Grill. About 1 k more than when I booked in April.Canary Islands remains the same in Balcony I booked. 

Although our state of Florida is certainly climbing in new cases (and making the news for it), we, personally, continue to practice safe social distancing and wear masks without complaint. Those of us in our circle of friends are all of the same mindset as well... so just know, no matter what is seen on the news about the Sunshine State, there are also people here who are working to be caring and responsible citizens during these unprecedented times.

We actually did a full and absolute quarantine for three weeks so that we could finally visit our quarantined elderly family this week. Very grateful for this special time with them. 

• Like 3

Well, the good news is the bowling club has reopened. The bad news is I now have to cut the green every second day instead of the once a week I have been doing to keep it under control. . 

Also, since we returned from Australia and went straight into lockdown all payments have been contactless , so last night was the first time I had to spend UK cash money since the middle of January. 

13 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Also, since we returned from Australia and went straight into lockdown all payments have been contactless , so last night was the first time I had to spend UK cash money since the middle of January. 

The downside of a contactless payment world - today I went to the bank to get some cash, after using a credit card exclusively since March.  And.....  I've forgotten my PIN.   Sheesh.

16 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

Although our state of Florida is certainly climbing in new cases (and making the news for it), we, personally, continue to practice safe social distancing and wear masks without complaint. Those of us in our circle of friends are all of the same mindset as well... so just know, no matter what is seen on the news about the Sunshine State, there are also people here who are working to be caring and responsible citizens during these unprecedented times.

We actually did a full and absolute quarantine for three weeks so that we could finally visit our quarantined elderly family this week. Very grateful for this special time with them. 

What a nice, positive post about observing responsible behavior during a pandemic.  Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 7:42 AM, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for letting us see Otis, he's gorgeous.

The warmest day of the year so far here, but we're still in the UK so cool compared to Texas and Florida !

Lots of lockdown changes for England only announced yesterday (not that you'd know that from reading some of our newspapers), still opening up more slowly in Wales. 

Mr HH has an in-person job interview on Friday so that should be interesting !

Stay safe everyone

Best wishes for Mr. HH and his job interview Friday. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, alc13 said:

What a nice, positive post about observing responsible behavior during a pandemic.  Thank you for sharing it.

Here, here. 

I look at the pictures in the British news of people on the beach at Bournemouth yesterday and the football supporters in Liverpool and I just wonder what they are thinking! Even in Cambridge the greens are chock full of large groups enjoying the sun each evening. It's as though everyone thinks - that's it, the virus is defeated. Yet we are still seeing higher numbers of infections than we had when we entered lockdown. I can't help thinking there is no way we will avoid a second wave. 

All the best to Mr HH today, and I hope things go well for Lanky lad's meeting as well.

Take care and stay safe everyone. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks for the good wishes.  Not the ideal outcome our office is closing so time to look for a new job.

I'm so sorry to hear that, best wishes for the job hunt.

Mr HH's interview didn't start too well, they couldn't get in the building they were supposed to be using so that put one of the interviewers in a bad mood !

Oh dear, so sorry to hear things have not gone too well for either of you. 

Lanky lad, exactly the same has happened to our son's partner. I'm afraid I think a lot of people will be unemployed at the end of this awful pandemic. It would seem it is causing a lot of businesses to reassess their needs and to slim themselves down. At least you get to enjoy the garden a bit longer!

Best of luck with the job hunting to both Lanky lad and to Mr HH (if needed).

Edited by Camgirl
  • Like 4

On 6/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, Lanky Lad said:

I have had an email from work and there is a meeting tomorrow which I have to attend.  

I'm assuming that's the meeting at which you were told that your office is closing. That's such a shame, and certainly not the outcome I'm sure you were expecting.

9 minutes ago, alc13 said:

What a shame.  So sorry, Lanky Lad.  

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I'm so sorry to hear that, best wishes for the job hunt.

Mr HH's interview didn't start too well, they couldn't get in the building they were supposed to be using so that put one of the interviewers in a bad mood !

53 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

Oh dear, so sorry to hear things have not gone too well for either of you. 

Lanky lad, exactly the same has happened to our son's partner. I'm afraid I think a lot of people will be unemployed at the end of this awful pandemic. It would seem it is causing a lot of businesses to reassess their needs and to slim themselves down. At least you get to enjoy the garden a bit longer!

Best of luck with the job hunting to both Lanky lad and to Mr HH (if needed).

20 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I'm assuming that's the meeting at which you were told that your office is closing. That's such a shame, and certainly not the outcome I'm sure you were expecting.

Thanks everyone.  

On the bright side, I have been with the company for 21 years so I will at least get a lump sum to keep me going until I find a new job.   Not a total surprise as the company was taken over a few years ago so we were expecting it at some point.

10 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks everyone.  

On the bright side, I have been with the company for 21 years so I will at least get a lump sum to keep me going until I find a new job.   Not a total surprise as the company was taken over a few years ago so we were expecting it at some point.

LL. It's one of those been there, done that moments for me. But the good news is that the job I took after that, was the one I was meant for and I stayed there until I retired, traveling the world, and doing meaningful things. So good luck to you. 

5 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

LL. It's one of those been there, done that moments for me. But the good news is that the job I took after that, was the one I was meant for and I stayed there until I retired, traveling the world, and doing meaningful things. So good luck to you. 

Thanks.  This might give me the push I needed to do something new.

Hopefully your company will have a meaningful consultation, how many people are affected ?

Sorry, got my union rep hat on !  I can't help myself.

It's not the end to furlough that anyone wants but I think there will be a lot more coming before it's over.

In other depressing news, our local beach made the news after some bad behaviour by people who'd definitely travelled more than 5 miles so now the car parks are closed again. 

At least we have Fish and Chips from the pub tonight.

Hope everyone is staying safe

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Hopefully your company will have a meaningful consultation, how many people are affected ?

Sorry, got my union rep hat on !  I can't help myself.

It's not the end to furlough that anyone wants but I think there will be a lot more coming before it's over.

In other depressing news, our local beach made the news after some bad behaviour by people who'd definitely travelled more than 5 miles so now the car parks are closed again. 

At least we have Fish and Chips from the pub tonight.

Hope everyone is staying safe

There are nine of us, plus seven from another department.   

We had another of our recurring virtual Friday happy hours this evening. This week found us interviewing each other on the stage of the Royal Court Theater. I have at least one more QM2 location up my sleeve, but after that I may have run out of shipboard locations in which to position us... I might have to resort to land-based locations!

One of the call's participants is in London, three of us are in Philadelphia. It was interesting to hear that the weather in London is almost identical to what we're having here: hot and humid!

On the Royal Court Theater stage.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/24/2020 at 8:42 AM, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for letting us see Otis, he's gorgeous.

The warmest day of the year so far here, but we're still in the UK so cool compared to Texas and Florida !

Lots of lockdown changes for England only announced yesterday (not that you'd know that from reading some of our newspapers), still opening up more slowly in Wales. 

Mr HH has an in-person job interview on Friday so that should be interesting !

Stay safe everyone

How did Mr. HH’s interview go on Fri.?

What type of work does he do?

1 minute ago, LewiLewi said:

How did Mr. HH’s interview go on Fri.?

What type of work does he do?

He's an electrician, the job is in the locomotive repair department of a steelworks. I work there already (in a different department).

It didn't start well when the building was still locked up ! He's not really sure how it went or if he is, he's not telling me !