Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

22 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Lanky Lad. I am thinking of coming down to Southampton a couple of days before I sail in August 2022. I would like to visit some local sights perhaps Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. I believe you have stayed in a hotel or hotels in Southampton and I seem to recall that you said one would shuttle you over to the Dock to catch the ship. Can you tell me the name of the hotel? Others can also recommend hotels as well. I will be coming down from London on the train, so I will take a taxi to the hotel, and I won't need parking. Thank you very much.

I have stayed in a few hotels in Southampton, but not used a shuttle service.  From what I know at lot of the hotels that offer a shuttle are out of town. You might be better going for a hotel in the city. The Holiday Inn, Grand Harbour Hotel and one of the Premier Inns are handy for all of the terminals and the Isle of Wight ferry.    There is a very large choice in Southampton for all budgets.

21 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I have stayed in a few hotels in Southampton, but not used a shuttle service.  From what I know at lot of the hotels that offer a shuttle are out of town. You might be better going for a hotel in the city. The Holiday Inn, Grand Harbour Hotel and one of the Premier Inns are handy for all of the terminals and the Isle of Wight ferry.    There is a very large choice in Southampton for all budgets.

Thank you LL. I have narrowed it down to the Holiday Inn near the Red Funnel Ferry Terminal and the Southampton Harbor Hotel and spa closer to the cruise terminal and for my interest walking distance to the Solent Sky Museum.

The Holiday Inn is better priced but the restaurant is not very appealing, The Southampton Harbor is more expensive, but has a very attractive sixth floor harBar with a terrace overlooking the marina.

I think both are good choices, although I am leaning more to the Southampton Harbor. I can check in (or leave my bags if I am earlier than their usual check in) and walk to the Museum for a quick two hour walk through. 

The next morning I can taxi to the Red Funnel and take the ferry to Cowes, and a bus directly to Osborne. 

Has anyone had any experience with the Southampton Harbor Hotel and Spa? 

2 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Thank you LL. I have narrowed it down to the Holiday Inn near the Red Funnel Ferry Terminal and the Southampton Harbor Hotel and spa closer to the cruise terminal and for my interest walking distance to the Solent Sky Museum.

The Holiday Inn is better priced but the restaurant is not very appealing, The Southampton Harbor is more expensive, but has a very attractive sixth floor harBar with a terrace overlooking the marina.

I think both are good choices, although I am leaning more to the Southampton Harbor. I can check in (or leave my bags if I am earlier than their usual check in) and walk to the Museum for a quick two hour walk through. 

The next morning I can taxi to the Red Funnel and take the ferry to Cowes, and a bus directly to Osborne. 

Not stayed at the Southampton Harbour Hotel , but the location is good and the food is very good...yum.The views from the Harbar on 6 are wonderful, where there is a pizza and bbq area, plus cocktail bar.(not to be confused with the Grand Harbour Hotel now called the Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour) 😊

I would not bother with a taxi from the Harbour Hotel to the Red Funnel terminal as it's within easy walking distance. There are plenty of places to eat in Southampton for dinner although breakfast is a bit more limited so would could be better taken in the hotel.

17 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I would not bother with a taxi from the Harbour Hotel to the Red Funnel terminal as it's within easy walking distance. There are plenty of places to eat in Southampton for dinner although breakfast is a bit more limited so would could be better taken in the hotel.

Are you taking about the Southampton Harbour Hotel in Ocean Village or what was the Grand Harbour Hotel, now known as the Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour, which is not as ‘Grand’ as it used to be. The Leonardo etc is on West Quay Road a busy road opposite the Red Funnel terminal.

http://www.streetmapz.co.uk/southampton.html

You may have to jiggle the map to see the area that you need.

4 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Yes and to put it bluntly I would never stay there again. In my opinion, vastly over-priced. The room was so hot, we couldn't sleep plus there were many other bad points for us, lifts not working etc. But other people presumably like it so maybe we just had bad luck.

21 hours ago, turnip eater said:

Are you taking about the Southampton Harbour Hotel in Ocean Village or what was the Grand Harbour Hotel, now known as the Leonardo Royal Southampton Grand Harbour, which is not as ‘Grand’ as it used to be. The Leonardo etc is on West Quay Road a busy road opposite the Red Funnel terminal.

http://www.streetmapz.co.uk/southampton.html

You may have to jiggle the map to see the area that you need.

I was talking about the "Grand" Harbour Hotel or what ever it is call now. Apologies for any confusion. 

I have stayed several times at the Grand Harbour, though not recently.

However, we have only had afternoon tea at the much newer Harbour Hotel. I agree that the Harbar area, which is where we ate, looked really good and the position of the hotel is great, overlooking water, though I don't think you can see the ships from the hotel. The food we had there was very good. However, we have never stayed as the prices have always been so high. 

On the other hand, we stayed once at the Holiday Inn. I know a lot of people like it, but we will never return there. We had an awful room with an uncomfortable bed. And the food, both evening meal and breakfast, was truly dreadful. I have stayed in many other Holiday Inns, but this was the worst. However, as always, it is quite possible we were just very unlucky on that occasion. If you choose a room with a view of the water, this is the best hotel for seeing the ships come in from.

4 hours ago, Camgirl said:

I have stayed several times at the Grand Harbour, though not recently.

However, we have only had afternoon tea at the much newer Harbour Hotel. I agree that the Harbar area, which is where we ate, looked really good and the position of the hotel is great, overlooking water, though I don't think you can see the ships from the hotel. The food we had there was very good. However, we have never stayed as the prices have always been so high. 

On the other hand, we stayed once at the Holiday Inn. I know a lot of people like it, but we will never return there. We had an awful room with an uncomfortable bed. And the food, both evening meal and breakfast, was truly dreadful. I have stayed in many other Holiday Inns, but this was the worst. However, as always, it is quite possible we were just very unlucky on that occasion. If you choose a room with a view of the water, this is the best hotel for seeing the ships come in from.

Thanks CamGirl. My impression looking at food and drink was that the Southampton Harbor Hotel was head and shoulders above the Holiday Inn. And an uncomfortable bed for my old bones would be a deal breaker, so I guess I will book Southampton Harbor, but it's not until August 2022, so there is plenty of time to look around. As for the room cost, it is not more than staying in London for two additional days, so that is a wash for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It's another sunny day and hospitality venues can open for outside service in Wales today. Happy days !

Happy days indeed. I noticed at the super duper market which has made masks optional, there were fewer masks to be seen. In Texas, 25%+ are fully vaccinated and an additional 35%+ have had one shot. Now that the J&J single dose has been "Un-Paused" I expect the see the numbers climb fast.

But of course the virus is still around and causing devastation in other parts of the world. Our news is reporting on the terrible situation in India.

Mr HH has been called back into work this evening so no drinks outside the pub for us.

had my second jab on Sunday, as did my husband. All good.

Wherever I holiday, cruise or not, I always like to try local food, so today I decided to make something from the US - Snickerdoodles! Love the name, they are a biscuit/cookie with ground almonds and rolled in cinnamon sugar and yes, they are as yummy as they sound.  

20210428_134132.jpg

43 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

had my second jab on Sunday, as did my husband. All good.

Wherever I holiday, cruise or not, I always like to try local food, so today I decided to make something from the US - Snickerdoodles! Love the name, they are a biscuit/cookie with ground almonds and rolled in cinnamon sugar and yes, they are as yummy as they sound.  

20210428_134132.jpg

Those look and sound wonderful.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 7:30 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Yes! If you have not already booked elsewhere, this is by far the best. Wonderful location and the food is excellent.(Well, it was 12 months ago or so before lockdown).

7 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

Yes! If you have not already booked elsewhere, this is by far the best. Wonderful location and the food is excellent.(Well, it was 12 months ago or so before lockdown).

Thank you Lady L. The Southampton Harbor Hotel looks like the winner. 

I am looking at the You Tube Channel for the Southampton Ocean Cruise Camera. Queen Mary 2 is tied up at the Cruise Terminal and she looks great. She took my breath away, seeing her in real time looking very snappy. 

No doubt she is taking on supplies, and will soon head down the Solent to her secret anchorage. I will continue to watch the channel to watch her depart, wishing I was aboard heading some where fun. 

Here is the link. 

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I am looking at the You Tube Channel for the Southampton Ocean Cruise Camera. Queen Mary 2 is tied up at the Cruise Terminal and she looks great. She took my breath away, seeing her in real time looking very snappy. 

No doubt she is taking on supplies, and will soon head down the Solent to her secret anchorage. I will continue to watch the channel to watch her depart, wishing I was aboard heading some where fun. 

The Southampton VTS schedule shows QM2 will be spending a couple nights in Southampton. Her current scheduled departure time is listed as 01-May-21 17:00.

I'll be looking to see if there will be a separate live stream starting 17:00 Saturday with commentary by the "Captain" who runs the Solent Ships Youtube channel as he has done with other recent cruise ship departures.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 10:17 AM, bluemarble said:

The Southampton VTS schedule shows QM2 will be spending a couple nights in Southampton. Her current scheduled departure time is listed as 01-May-21 17:00.

I'll be looking to see if there will be a separate live stream starting 17:00 Saturday with commentary by the "Captain" who runs the Solent Ships Youtube channel as he has done with other recent cruise ship departures.

There was a channel up when the P&O Arcadia left todaym narrated by the "Captain". I presume there will be one tomorrow. By the way the comment section of the Ocean Cruise Terminal says the departure will be 14:00. So it could be earlier than previously indicated. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

There was a channel up when the P&O Arcadia left todaym narrated by the "Captain". I presume there will be one tomorrow. By the way the comment section of the Ocean Cruise Terminal says the departure will be 14:00. So it could be earlier than previously indicated. 

Yes, that's the same sort of live stream I'm anticipating for QM2's departure. I've noticed several different departure times mentioned for QM2 in the comments section of the "Cruise Cam" stream. The latest one I'm seeing from one of the moderators states 16:00. Southampton VTS which is generally authoritative on such matters is now also showing a 16:00 departure time, although that's always subject to last-minute scheduling changes especially when they don't have to worry about any pesky passengers.

Edited by bluemarble