Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

A very happy Easter to everyone. Who would have thought we would still be in this situation for a second Easter? Stay safe everybody.

Host Hattie, I am very interested that you are just setting up a holiday let, as my sister and I are hopefully embarking on the same in the near future.

We have been renting out my Mum's old house for the last 10 years. The last tenants left on Friday. We are now going to sell the house and, hopefully, buy a holiday let on the north Norfolk coast instead. The rent money from the house paid for our cruises, so it has turned out to be a perfect time to do this. However, now we are actually about to start the long process, it suddenly seems very scary!

I hope all goes well setting your house up, and that you fill it with lots of people enjoying their holidays.

Obviously, we won't be getting that far this year. We have to sell the house first, then find and buy the new one. But, hopefully, we will be joining you in the holiday letting buisiness (on a very small scale!!) one day.

• Like 2

Easter greetings to everyone from a very sunny but chilly west Berkshire. We had frost on the cars & ice in the bird baths this morning. Last year I think I started a thread-within-a-thread when I posted a photo of Hotel Chocolat Easter eggs. This year, however, we’ve changed direction in the Kynance household: I gave my other half a box of Niederegger marzipan mini eggs & 2 Cadbury’s creme eggs and he gave me a Waitrose No 1 chocolates selection and some wine!! 

My OH grows many miniature trees in pots in our garden and I fetched one in last week - a pear I think - to decorate for the season. Apparently searches on Sainsbury’s website for “fake” Easter trees were up 977% this year on last, probably due to people wanting to try to replicate the festive feeling from Christmas. I always have a real tree at Christmas and I’m so pleased with my Easter tree that I think this will become a new tradition for us. 

Anyway, here is a photo taken a couple of days ago before the daffodils were replaced with tulips. 

3BEE4AD0-352E-494B-82EE-5A37CA169718.jpeg

• Like 3

Happy Easter to all.  A dull and cool day here, but maybe it will improve as the day goes on.

It's looking like the great tits will be nesting in my wall again this year so that's good. 

I have enjoyed my first week back in the world of work, but I am glad it was only four days.  Another four day week next week so a nice way to ease myself back into working full time.

There is talk here of allowing trips to some countries so my September cruise on QV may still take place, if not I will have to see what else is on offer.  All being well I will be on a ship in July, but I would really like a longer trip on a Cunarder before the year is out.

• Like 3

Happy Easter everyone, thanks for the reminder @Kynance. I'm glad your first week went well @Lanky Lad, good timing to start with 4 day weeks.

How exciting @Camgirl, I think you have my real world email address, if not drop me a line at the Host Hattie address and we can swap stories.

Hopefully things will be back to normal by the time you're trying to set something up because buying a house full of new furniture while the shops are closed and you're not there full-time is a bit of a trial !

IMG_20210404_152828464.jpg

On 3/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, majortom10 said:

Cunard are apparently doing these UK residents only  for sale on March 31st and up to 12nts in duration so it seems a long time if they are not stopping at ports and doing excursion only visits.

We are booked for September with 5 port stops all being well. The initial cruises will be organised excursions only but may change subject to government guidance. We’re really looking forward to visiting the Scottish lochs and Titanic museum in Belfast.

On 3/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Colin, I read your post and gather that your MIL did not make it. I am so sorry for you and your Spouse. Your family have my condolences. This has been a rough year for us all. 

I wandered lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,

Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Ok not a lake but the local church yard.

20210404_151838.jpg

20210404_152040.jpg

Edited by Lanky Lad
  • Like 7

17 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Happy Easter everyone, thanks for the reminder @Kynance. I'm glad your first week went well @Lanky Lad, good timing to start with 4 day weeks.

How exciting @Camgirl, I think you have my real world email address, if not drop me a line at the Host Hattie address and we can swap stories.

Hopefully things will be back to normal by the time you're trying to set something up because buying a house full of new furniture while the shops are closed and you're not there full-time is a bit of a trial !

IMG_20210404_152828464.jpg

That would be great! However, I had a look and can't find you in my contacts. And I can't work out how to get your HH email! Sorry to be daft!

We have just got in from our daily walk which included snow showers! We were sitting out in the garden in the sunshine yesterday. British weather!

My gardener and I worked in the back garden this morning. Trimming Sago Palm fronds which have died. And doing general clean up of dead bits. The Ferns are showing signs of recovery, so that is good. The Gunnera Manicata I planted this year is growing nicely, in spite of the best efforts of the plant shipper's efforts to destroy the plant by plastic taping four of six fronds causing them to break. 

The rest of the garden is in various stages of recovery  from the spring freeze three weeks ago.Everything seems to have it's own recovery schedule so I have not done any wholesale plant removals, yet.

This afternoon I am sitting on my screen porch listening to the Classic FM's Hall of Fame. and we are in the last hour. Soon the victor. Will it be the Lark Ascending This year? We will soon know. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

This afternoon I am sitting on my screen porch listening to the Classic FM's Hall of Fame. and we are in the last hour. Soon the victor. Will it be the Lark Ascending This year? We will soon know. 

Yes, it was The Lark - for a record 11th time apparently, though I prefer Vaughn Williams’ Variations on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, which was number 3. 

2 of the 3 pieces I voted for made the top 300: Pachelbel’s Canon and Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No.1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kynance said:

Yes, it was The Lark - for a record 11th time apparently, though I prefer Vaughn Williams’ Variations on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, which was number 3. 

2 of the 3 pieces I voted for made the top 300: Pachelbel’s Canon and Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite No.1.

I was rooting for the  Lark. It has to be my favorite piece of music, classical or otherwise. It is so peaceful and promising. Just what we need these days.

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts.

Back home again now, just in time for the return of the snow. The ground was already white when we woke this morning and it’s hardly stopped all day. Tomorrow is looking like more of the same. 

Scotland has has also now moved from “Stay at Home” to “Stay Local”, but as far as we’re concerned I don’t see it making any significant difference. We’re not planning on rushing out anywhere.

19 hours ago, Kynance said:

I have ask what the third one was.

Many years ago I was lucky enough to hear the Lark live at the Royal Albert Hall as part of the BBC proms.  Magnificent. 

Finlandia, Ma Vlast and Scherazade for me.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

I have ask what the third one was.

Many years ago I was lucky enough to hear the Lark live at the Royal Albert Hall as part of the BBC proms.  Magnificent. 

Finlandia, Ma Vlast and Scherazade for me.

It was Anne Dudley’s title music to Poldark. I’ve voted for it every year since the reboot first aired but I don’t think it has ever made the top 300 though it is often played on Classic FM. 

I like your choices too, Lanky Lad.  It’s so difficult to choose three, though, as I find my mood often dictates what my favourites are. 

Cunard’s live classical performances are certainly something I have been missing - I always make a point of catching them on sea days.  

• Like 1

Well, as of 1 pm local time today 12th April, I have had my second Moderna shot, and in two weeks, I will be as immune as I am likely to be. So far no issues with shot number two.

I will continue to be masked at places that request a mask, but otherwise, it will be history. I feel like I have climbed a mountain and now can leisurely amble down the other side back to life as we once knew it.

I am one happy camper. 

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

Congratulations on your second shot Bigmike.  Hopefully you will be able to get back to normal later in the year when enough people have had theirs.

Thank you LL, so far about 20% of the population of the state have had either two shots of the Pfizer or Moderna, and the One Shot Johnson and Johnson, and another 30% have had one shot. So we are making progress. The process I went through was a drive through and I must say extremely well  executed. They should be able to vaccinate four or five thousand people each day at that particular location, so the numbers should climb rapidly now. 

It  is unfortunate the the foul-up in the Baltimore facility has put a big dent in the J&J product---- and that a number of US states are seeing a new surge - apparently the "UK variant".   What is really sad is that some local authorities are calling for more vaccine (which will take weeks to show impact) rather than tightening down venues.  It is pure political cowardice -- they would prefer to blame vaccine shortage to taking politically unpopular steps.