Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

I finally got my invitation for my first shot, Moderna on Friday, 12 March. It is going to be drive through at the local football stadium in the Woodlands. I was about to give up hope.

With the Moderna you get the second a month (according to Moderna) after the first. It is unclear if that is four weeks from the date of the first one so either the 9th or 12 of April.

Then one week to develop full immunity, and I am going to celebrate by going to Popeyes for a spicy chicken breast and fries. I haven't had one since February of 2020. I will take small pleasures at this time in life. 

12 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I finally got my invitation for my first shot, Moderna on Friday, 12 March. It is going to be drive through at the local football stadium in the Woodlands. I was about to give up hope.

With the Moderna you get the second a month (according to Moderna) after the first. It is unclear if that is four weeks from the date of the first one so either the 9th or 12 of April.

Then one week to develop full immunity, and I am going to celebrate by going to Popeyes for a spicy chicken breast and fries. I haven't had one since February of 2020. I will take small pleasures at this time in life. 

The second Moderna shot is 28 days after the first shot. Also, allow 2 full weeks after the second shot for full immunity. Enjoy your Popeyes chicken breast.

12 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

We hit the drive-through at local Chick Fil A — that, and delivered New Haven apizza, constitute our “dining out”.

50 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

We hit the drive-through at local Chick Fil A — that, and delivered New Haven apizza, constitute our “dining out”.

I could have done take away, but by the time I got home it would be cold. There is nothing worse than greasy cold chicken and fries. So, I will wait. Interestingly I got a second invitation to my first shot, for tomorrow, and I will take it. Bird in hand is worth two in the bush. I am in the process of canceling Friday.

3 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I could have done take away, but by the time I got home it would be cold. There is nothing worse than greasy cold chicken and fries. 

We got an air fryer for Christmas in 2019... that solved the cold fries and chicken problem

Come home with the takeout and pop them in the air fryer for a few minutes... they are perfect!

2 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

We got an air fryer for Christmas in 2019... that solved the cold fries and chicken problem

Come home with the takeout and pop them in the air fryer for a few minutes... they are perfect!

Thanks NLG, I might just try that. Can I do it with a convection oven too, I already have two of those?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Thanks NLG, I might just try that. Can I do it with a convection oven too, I already have two of those?

An air fryer is, essentially, a counter-top convection oven.  Being more compact, the air fryer might be a bit quicker, but the convection oven should work as well.

• Like 2

An eventful day here news wise.

Bad news, my July cruise on QE is cancelled.  I will see what is on offer, hopefully something on the same dates as I have booked a short trip before hand.

Good news I have a new job starting on 29th March. Just over a year since I was put on furlough so I am going to call it my gap year.

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Good news I have a new job starting on 29th March. Just over a year since I was put on furlough so I am going to call it my gap year.

Good News indeed. Congratulations.

My first year of retirement was going to be my gap year, but it's now heading towards two.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Bad news, my July cruise on QE is cancelled.  I will see what is on offer, hopefully something on the same dates as I have booked a short trip before hand.

LL congratulations on your new employment. Best wishes for a long and successful career with the new employer. If your July cruise is canceled, my 22July must be right behind. And I was making progress, I got my first Moderna jab today.  In four weeks the second and then a week later I should be good to go. The questions is Where?

44 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

LL congratulations on your new employment. Best wishes for a long and successful career with the new employer. If your July cruise is canceled, my 22July must be right behind. And I was making progress, I got my first Moderna jab today.  In four weeks the second and then a week later I should be good to go. The questions is Where?

All cruises in July have been cancelled.

8 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Sorry you lost your cruise - but it cannot come as too much snow f a surprise.  I hope something good comes up to fill the slated time.

Congratulations on the new job - hopefully something you really want to do (and well paid) - I recall the relief I felt when, 8 months after accepting “early retirement” (from a 32 year career) I landed a somewhat lower paying, but much more enjoyable slot in my field — with none of the politics which had increasingly tainted my old job.

Congratulations on the new job Lanky Lad. I hope it goes well for you. Sorry to hear you have had yet another cruise cancelled though.

And it's good to hear you are getting your vaccination Host Hattie. 

As Frankp01 says, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it won't be too long now before we can all get back to cruising again. And it will feel so good and so special when it happens.

One cruise cancelled (again) but my first shot today (got a call yesterday afternoon asking if I could get to the GP at 8.45am this morning)..

Waiting now glued to the screen for the UK cruises to appear..

This morning I found an e-mail from my travel agent telling me my 22 July Westbound T/A is canceled. Disappointing but not surprising. I had a lot of OBC on that voyage and my T/A is going to see if she can get some transferred to my August '22 voyage. 

By the way, no issues from my Moderna Vaccination yesterday, feeling good. I can see a tiny light at the end of the tunnel. 

My vaccination was very easy this morning, a moment of chaos in the car park but the whole thing was very well organised, in and out in about 3 minutes and then 15 minutes waiting in my car before I drove home. They gave me my second appointment, same time, same place on 28th May.

We have some relaxation of our restrictions starting tomorrow, we can travel locally and meet as a group of up to 4 from 2 different households outdoors.

We should be able to travel further in Wales from March 27th.

Have a good weekend everyone

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

My vaccination was very easy this morning, a moment of chaos in the car park but the whole thing was very well organised, in and out in about 3 minutes and then 15 minutes waiting in my car before I drove home. They gave me my second appointment, same time, same place on 28th May.

We have some relaxation of our restrictions starting tomorrow, we can travel locally and meet as a group of up to 4 from 2 different households outdoors.

We should be able to travel further in Wales from March 27th.

Have a good weekend everyone

28th May, that is a long time between doses. I too did the drive through process. It was very smooth. I got there at 2:15 yesterday for a 3:00 appointment, and they processed me on through, so I got home by 3:00pm. Mine is Moderna Jab and I go back four weeks later on 8th April.

And Cunard accepted my offer to move the Large OBC from the canceled crossing this year for my August crossing next year. The carrot I dangled was to pay next year in full today and they went for it. So they are happy and I am happy. Now only 16 months to go. 

• Like 1