Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

On 1/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, LewiLewi said:

Just had second Pfizer shot. My hubby gets his second shot next week. We are not about to make any real changes in our lives. We will continue mask wearing, social distancing, etc. till everyone has had their second shots. We will just be able to breathe a little easier and start thinking about what cruising we would like to do in the future. I hope that we will be able to go back to cruising the way it was pre pandemic. I know it is a very important and enjoyable part of our lives.

I hope that all of you will be able to get vaccinated in the very near future.

Congratulations on your second shot, LewiLewi!  Mr ALC's mother lives in Sarasota and she's been unable to get on a vaccine list, despite being nearly 90.  Do you have any tips to offer?

18 hours ago, alc13 said:

Congratulations on your second shot, LewiLewi!  Mr ALC's mother lives in Sarasota and she's been unable to get on a vaccine list, despite being nearly 90.  Do you have any tips to offer?

It was like winning the lottery when I was able to get a date and time for my 1st vaccination on line. We live in Palm Beach County, Southern FL. Our friends have spent hours and days on line and on the phone trying to get an appt. for their first shots. Many have been able to get them at this point. I would recommend having Mr. ALC’s mother register with the Sarasota Dept. of Health, they usually have a vaccination list that people can sign onto. Also, if she or a friend can go on the computer, there are websites which are offering the vaccine, like Publix supermarkets as well as local health centers. Good luck.

10 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

It was like winning the lottery when I was able to get a date and time for my 1st vaccination on line. We live in Palm Beach County, Southern FL. Our friends have spent hours and days on line and on the phone trying to get an appt. for their first shots. Many have been able to get them at this point. I would recommend having Mr. ALC’s mother register with the Sarasota Dept. of Health, they usually have a vaccination list that people can sign onto. Also, if she or a friend can go on the computer, there are websites which are offering the vaccine, like Publix supermarkets as well as local health centers. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply!  Sounds like she is doing what she can, and boy has she struggled with it.  She finally got a spot in the Sarasota County system this week and is number 42000 in line.  They are apparently vaccinating ~5000/week, so she only (!) has 8 more weeks to go.  She says this is all she has available to her in Sarasota County.

I have my second shot in another 8 days.  I'm happy to benefit from the process in my local healthcare system, of course, but do wish others who are in more urgent need had easier access.  At least the rollout is happening now, though.

Still waiting for my first shot in South East Texas. My local Medicare Advantage Plan has been a real slug in this process. My final payment for my July 22, 2020 westbound from Hamburg is due on 23 March.

With the slowness of the vaccine roll out here and in Europe, I am growing more certain that there will be little to no international travel to the UK and Europe from the US in July and I  am about to conclude that my voyage isn't going to happen in 2021. 

It is disappointing in that it will be a ten day trip with another visit to Le Havre in France which I was looking forward to, as well as a lot of OBC. 

But on the other hand, there are signs of an early spring here, buds on most trees and the grass is greening up.  I finished my tree pruning last week and will spend this week on clearing up last years annual growth. We have had more than 10 inches of rain this January and that means free water as well as growth. 

I need to have my tree service come and remove a couple of branches from an Oak tree in the front garden that is effecting the growth of a near by Pecan, and I need to have the dead palm fronds removed from my Washingtonian palms around the pool. February will be busy. 

I found, rather rediscovered, a Mexican Restaurant I went to when I first moved to the area and had a wonderful meal there Saturday late afternoon. Food and Service excellent, and not crowded. After the super spreader experience at my former usual restaurant I was about to go into Mexican Food Withdrawl, but I don't have to now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

Thanks for your reply!  Sounds like she is doing what she can, and boy has she struggled with it.  She finally got a spot in the Sarasota County system this week and is number 42000 in line.  They are apparently vaccinating ~5000/week, so she only (!) has 8 more weeks to go.  She says this is all she has available to her in Sarasota County.

I have my second shot in another 8 days.  I'm happy to benefit from the process in my local healthcare system, of course, but do wish others who are in more urgent need had easier access.  At least the rollout is happening now, though.

I am so very sorry that it is such a struggle for her...

It was certainly a mad scramble for us trying to get appointments for my family and my husband's family in GA and SC... Luckily they had both the Publix and the Walgreens doing them as well as the health departments, and through the businesses (not their county health departments) was where we eventually found success for our family.

We are certainly hearing about the appointment problems in FL since we live here in the state... it is not a consistent rollout at all... and there are many differences county to county.

They need to offer more options for our senior citizens- we obviously have many here. 8 weeks seems way too long to wait for a 90 year old for the first step in vaccine protection. Boo hiss.

I'll keep my ears open for Sarasota vaccine information if I hear or read any and will let you know if I do.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

I am so very sorry that it is such a struggle for her...

It was certainly a mad scramble for us trying to get appointments for my family and my husband's family in GA and SC... Luckily they had both the Publix and the Walgreens doing them as well as the health departments, and through the businesses (not their county health departments) was where we eventually found success for our family.

We are certainly hearing about the appointment problems in FL since we live here in the state... it is not a consistent rollout at all... and there are many differences county to county.

They need to offer more options for our senior citizens- we obviously have many here. 8 weeks seems way too long to wait for a 90 year old for the first step in vaccine protection. Boo hiss.

I'll keep my ears open for Sarasota vaccine information if I hear or read any and will let you know if I do.

You are so kind - thank you for your words of encouragement! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Still waiting for my first shot in South East Texas. My local Medicare Advantage Plan has been a real slug in this process. My final payment for my July 22, 2020 westbound from Hamburg is due on 23 March.

Big Mike, did you not get an email from Cunard about shifting final payments till 30 days out?

We have a Late June booking, and we’re very relieved to get the final payment extension.

1 hour ago, DWhit said:

Big Mike, did you not get an email from Cunard about shifting final payments till 30 days out?

We have a Late June booking, and we’re very relieved to get the final payment extension.

Sorry Bigmike, I thought your post was about a July 2021 trip when I first read it.    

40 minutes ago, DWhit said:

Sorry Bigmike, I thought your post was about a July 2021 trip when I first read it.    

No actually my trip is 22 July 2021 ( It's the end of January, and I am still forgetting to advance my year). I will contact my T.A. directly. Cunard communicates with her and she with me. So maybe a reprieve for me. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Edited by Bigmike911

On 1/31/2021 at 4:32 PM, DWhit said:

I spoke to my Travel Arranger today and she called Cunard. You are correct with the uncertainty of voyages happening at all, Cunard now allow the final payment to be one month out. That gives me an additional two months grace. Thank you for mentioning it to me. 

2 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I spoke to my Travel Arranger today and she called Cunard. You are correct with the uncertainty of voyages happening at all, Cunard now allow the final payment to be one month out. That gives me an additional two months grace. Thank you for mentioning it to me. 

Glad I was able to share some useful info.  That's the beauty of these Cruise Critic Boards, everyone benefits from everyone else's info.  I hope your trip works out for you and hope maybe to bump into you someday on the high seas.

The weather here has been miserable the last couple of days. Snow, followed by rain, which turns it to slush, followed by freezing and more snow, then more rain,. You get the picture. So it’s family tree time again.

I know families tended to be larger in the past than nowadays but it looks like my great-great-great-great-grandfather was one to take things to extremes. 22 children and 112 grandchildren!

I’m fairly sure I’ve found all the children, at least the ones that survived infancy, but equally sure there are still several grandchildren to be tracked down. How on earth do you keep track of over a hundred grandchildren? 

Wife number three produced child twenty two a month before he died at the age of eighty four. There was 63 years between the oldest and youngest children. 41 years between the oldest grandchild and youngest child. The oldest great-grandchild was 21 years older than the last child and (I haven’t found exact dates but it looks like) the first great-great grandchild was born the same month!

I wonder how many of his descendants were alive at the same time as himself?

With some more bad weather I may be able to unearth some more details.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:52 PM, Host Hattie said:

This is how vaccinations are being dealt with in my local area.

We had some snow starting at lunchtime but then it warmed up and melted.

20210131_142607.jpg

I found  the NHS definition of Critically Vulnerable here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/whos-at-higher-risk-from-coronavirus/

It looks similar to the US CDC's list of conditions which place people at increased risk, (except that the US doesn't have a higher risk level such as Critically Extremely Vulnerable):

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Down Syndrome
  • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
  • Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
  • Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 kg/m2 or higher but < 40 kg/m2)
  • Severe Obesity (BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2)
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Smoking
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus

The vaccine rollout in this area is going well and hopefully we might start giving it to people over 65 soon. If all goes to plan I will have had my second dose in time for the July 21 cruise (if it goes ahead).

No more snow here, but a chance of some at weekend. 

Still nothing for me, but yesterday I was able to book a vaccine appointment for a years long friend who is a cancer survivor. His memory is not good, so I have taken the responsibility for reviewing his emails. Yesterday, there was an invitation from the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston for a vaccine for him. I booked it and will drive him to the appointment late Saturday afternoon.

Not only is he a cancer survivor but also has diabetes, and heart problems. He is 78 and wants to go to California to visit his 98 year old dad. Getting this vaccine makes it possible for him to do so. Knowing he will be able to do that, is a spirit lifter for me, and I can wait semi-patiently for mine. 

After complaining to my Dr about the lack of communication and apparent effort by my Medicare Advantage Plan, the plan is now sending out weekly progress reports. At least they are making some effort.

• Like 2

Second vaccine shot now completed, and based on past experience I've cleared my calendar for tomorrow so I can spend the day prostrate with fatigue and clutching my poor cramped belly.  I'm told that being well-hydrated helps with side effects so I'm drinking lots of water.  Fingers crossed on that.

Vaccinations in general are proceeding with fits and starts in this country.  What a wonderful day it will be when we achieve herd immunity across the globe.  In the meantime, mask up!  I've started to see public service ads promoting best practices - we should have been doing that all along.  If I ruled the world...

• Like 4

My parents, aunt, and grandfather will have their second vaccine this weekend.

I am considering it as a Valentine's Day present for each other and the world.

My husband's grandfather will have his second vaccine at the end of the month... and his mom and dad will have their first shot also by the end of the month.

So, in our little bubble, we are finally seeing some progress.

BUT

Again, in the States things are all over the place with the vaccination appointments. People are still having many problems getting appointments. Luckily we are hearing of more pharmacies and places getting vaccines soon. So that is good for the future.

I long for the time that we will all be able to travel again... I look forward to discussions about the dress code and embarkation lunches... I look forward to merely getting to look forward to trips...

Until then, everyone stay safe.

Happy Valentine's Day to you and your loved ones!

• Like 2