Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

33 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

NBT, Well, it's supposed to be 70 on Sunday, and this weather will be a bad dream, except for a bunch of zapped plants.  Some of the palms can handle temps in the low teens and single digits, but not many. It is going to be an ugly summer while some recover and others get dug up and tossed.

My stepdaughter in Houston is still without power -- it seems the windfarm equipment were never intended to function in such conditions.  I hope no heavy damage was done.  It was weird seeing all the commercial buildings in the downtown area brightly lit - surrounded by a huge blacked-out residential outer region.

Morning all - I hope you’re managing to keep safe, warm/dry/cool depending on where you are and what the weather is throwing at you. Here we have returned to milder, wet weather - pretty much a resumption of the weather we have “enjoyed” all winter. 

However, spring is on the way at least, with snowdrops, crocus, daffodils and tulips emerging in the garden. We are feeding a variety of avian visitors and it appears that the large sparrow colony living on the other side of one fence has made it through the winter. We have noticed fewer collared doves and more starlings though. Starlings only used to visit in the spring around nesting time, making their presence felt by using our cars as their latrines... My other half really detests them for this reason - and because they gobble up all of the meal worms we put out for the robins - but there doesn’t seem to be a way to get rid of them without losing the other birds too.

Life has settled into a form of resigned endurance mixed with acknowledging the positives that we normally all take for granted. We have a week in a cottage in Cornwall booked for mid-April but I am not very confident restrictions will have been lifted by then. In positive news, however, my other half & I managed to get out teeth checked out at the weekend and they seem to have come though 21 months without visiting a dentist unscathed.  Best of all, my OH has his first vaccination on Friday and two close family members had theirs yesterday. From what I have read recently, I might get mine before the end of next month rather than in April. Something to look forward to! 😊

I am happy that we live in southern Florida, especially now. The weather has been warm and mostly sunny. All of our orchid plants are starting to bud and are opening; the colors are gorgeous. The bougainvillea is at it’s most beautiful period. We continue to enjoy our patio every day, look at the lake, and look forward to being on a cruise ship again.
My hubby will be celebrating his 90th birthday next week, but we are not able to celebrate it like we would really want to. No big family gathering or special party preparations. Just us and two friends, distancing and having lunch outdoors on our patio. I have ordered a birthday cake.

We are thankful that we are healthy, have hopefully gotten through this pandemic and will hopefully, cruise again.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

My stepdaughter in Houston is still without power -- it seems the windfarm equipment were never intended to function in such conditions.  I hope no heavy damage was done.  It was weird seeing all the commercial buildings in the downtown area brightly lit - surrounded by a huge blacked-out residential outer region.

This is a remarkable storm. For the first time since 1895, we have had a day where the temperature didn't go above freezing any time during the day on the coast. The power generation in Texas is designed to provide plenty of electricity for our Hot summers, not apparently for the once in a decade winter storm.

And it is clear that the relentless push for wind power, and the  generous tax revenue it gets has put us in the position where we are dependent on wind for 25% of our generation power. And that is a problem when the wind farms freeze up with out back up sources to fill in.

The fact that the Texas Grid which was Isolated from the national grids during WWII for security reasons and has only minimal connectivity to the rest of the country is another issue to be dealt with. 

At home we have been switching from Street Power to Generator power as required but Monday evening the natural gas pressure that the generator relies on was in short supply causing the generator to operate in a very sub optimal nature. 

And naturally the weakest link is the internet. When street power goes down so does the internet. We likely have one more night of freezing temps, which will cause the roads to be impossible as it is raining buckets right now. Then by the weekend we will be in the 70's again and this will be an ugly memory as will my yard with a lot of zapped palm trees and other delicate plants. 

Well gardening has been a pleasure for me during the pandemic, and it looks like I am going to get all the pleasure I can stand. 

By the way the Houston Mayor got a lot of flack from the buildings downtown being aglow and he has asked the owners to turn off the lights. Unfortunately some are fully occupied Hotels where refugees from the cold have gone for heat, so there will still be some glowing towers for the time being. 

Edited by Bigmike911

The situation in Texas sounds grim, it's making the news here so it must be bad. Mr HH worked in a coal fired power station briefly and they had to generate during our "Beast from the East" winter storm as the gas powered stations failed. I hope things improve for you soon, what's the forecast like ?

It's damp and grey again here after a few cold days last week.

Our numbers are all going in the right direction, lots of vaccinations, few cases. We haven't had a case reported since the end of January in our local area 🤞.

Mr HH has an appointment for his first injection at the beginning of March.

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

The situation in Texas sounds grim, it's making the news here so it must be bad. Mr HH worked in a coal fired power station briefly and they had to generate during our "Beast from the East" winter storm as the gas powered stations failed. I hope things improve for you soon, what's the forecast like ?

It's damp and grey again here after a few cold days last week.

Our numbers are all going in the right direction, lots of vaccinations, few cases. We haven't had a case reported since the end of January in our local area 🤞.

Mr HH has an appointment for his first injection at the beginning of March.

Congrates to Mr HH. The forecast is for above freezing days, freezing nights for the next three, then into the mid 60s days and above freezing nights. I am on generator now, but the Internet magically re-appeared, so near by is back on street power. Only 48% of CenterPoint customers have street power. Centerpoint is the local distribution network. In Texas electricity was deregualted about 20 years ago. Generators, distributors and retailers are separately owned. Retailers sell power to retail customers and buy from Generators. It has value when everything works as the customer can shop for price. I have a fixed price contract to buy at $.11 per KWH, Right now it is costing my retailer $6.00 to buy the same KWH. Eventually it sorts itself out. 

The major fly in the ointment has been wind power. There is a tax subsidy to promote 'green energy' and the Texas Grid buys 25% of its power from wind producer and the wind farms are frozen. Some of the other natural gas and nuclear plants failed because of frozen pipes or frozen water supplies. Those are gradually coming back on line. And to make matters worse, some of the natural gas pipelines relied on electric pumps to move gas and with out power no gas is moving. Monday evening was particularly bad for natural gas. My back up generator runs on natural gas and at the end of the day was gasping for fuel. Lights were flickering and I was unable to get sufficient power to get my sat receiver and tv to even start. 

This has been a very bad storm, and far more wide spread than our usual Hurricanes. But this too will pass. 

On 2/17/2021 at 3:44 AM, Kynance said:

Life has settled into a form of resigned endurance mixed with acknowledging the positives that we normally all take for granted. 

Well said.  I'm feeling the gloom these days, and a reminder of the positives is a good antidote.

• Like 1

It looks like we have power again, and internet. So things are beginning to return to normal. Freezing again tonight and likely Friday PM, but the weekend starts to warm up.

There will be a lot of work to do this spring and summer to clear out dead plants. 

NBT has your Daughter gotten her power back yet?

We have had the call we have been waiting for. We will both receive our first injections on Tuesday morning. So relieved! And very pleased as we are 'just' 60 and 59. 

I hope anyone who has not been 'done' yet gets the call very soon.

Keep safe. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

We have had the call we have been waiting for. We will both receive our first injections on Tuesday morning. So relieved! And very pleased as we are 'just' 60 and 59. 

I hope anyone who has not been 'done' yet gets the call very soon.

Keep safe. 

Great news Camgirl. 

I think I will have to wait until April for my turn. The numbers in England are coming down, but it could go quicker.

21 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Great news Camgirl. 

I think I will have to wait until April for my turn. The numbers in England are coming down, but it could go quicker.

You never know, Lanky Lad, we are in England (Cambridge) as well. I wasn't expecting to hear so early either. Hopefully your turn will come sooner rather than later too. 🤞

Great news @Camgirl, we had our 3 week review of our restrictions. Not much changes although the youngest children are going back to school on Monday and 4 people from 2 households can meet for exercise ! Neither of those will make any difference to me but we should get more changes in 3 weeks time 🤞

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Great news @Camgirl, we had our 3 week review of our restrictions. Not much changes although the youngest children are going back to school on Monday and 4 people from 2 households can meet for exercise ! Neither of those will make any difference to me but we should get more changes in 3 weeks time 🤞

It would appear that the UK has made good progress, both on the lock downs and vaccinations. All of my UK friends have had at least one shot. All of this will help getting us back to 'normal'. And the weather is sunny and 10 c (back to -4 tonight) and then the nicer weather begins. Most of the snow and Ice is gone. I was amazed at how dirty the snow was. It left muddy streaks on my vehicles. I cannot find anything good to say about cold weather, ice and snow. Sorry to our friends in colder climes, but it is definitely not for me. 

A damp day here today but mild.  

I don't mind cold weather, but we get enough here to be prepared for it. It's a nasty shock when you are not used to it.

The big test in the UK is to get the second doses out whilst still giving people their first ones.  I am sure it can be done.  My mum is getting itchy feet now she feels safe to go out, but until the lockdown is eased there is nowhere to go.

We have started looking at cruises once again. We will probably consider a cruise that is roundtrip Miami because we will not have to fly. Crystal has announced vaccination requirements for all passengers and crew to be in effect when they begin their cruise schedule. I hope other cruise lines follow. Still wonder if people will have to mask, social distance, etc. on board. I don’t think we will enjoy cruising until it is relatively “normal” again.

We will wait and see what happens over the next few months.

41 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

We have started looking at cruises once again. We will probably consider a cruise that is roundtrip Miami because we will not have to fly. Crystal has announced vaccination requirements for all passengers and crew to be in effect when they begin their cruise schedule. I hope other cruise lines follow. Still wonder if people will have to mask, social distance, etc. on board. I don’t think we will enjoy cruising until it is relatively “normal” again.

We will wait and see what happens over the next few months.

Problem is for Crystal and many other cruise lines is getting the crew vaccinated as many if not all come from poorer countries who are lagging behind in vaccinating their country.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Problem is for Crystal and many other cruise lines is getting the crew vaccinated as many if not all come from poorer countries who are lagging behind in vaccinating their country.

The cruise line paying for crew members to be vaccinated is the obvious answer.  When done on a fairly large scale, the cost per shot is not that great and should be seen as part of the pay package.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The cruise line paying for crew members to be vaccinated is the obvious answer.  When done on a fairly large scale, the cost per shot is not that great and should be seen as part of the pay package.

But its getting countries who are prepared to sell vaccines to 3rd parties before vaccinating their own people. Certainly cannot see it happening in the UK there would be uproar. Cannot see vaccine manufacturers selling to private companies as they cannot keep up with demand to supply to countries already purchased.

Edited by majortom10

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

But its getting countries who are prepared to sell vaccines to 3rd parties before vaccinating their own people. Certainly cannot see it happening in the UK there would be uproar. Cannot see vaccine manufacturers selling to private companies as they cannot keep up with demand to supply to countries already purchased.

Things are likely to come together - cruising is not likely to start until the bulk (if not all) of passengers have received vaccine - by which time the countries which are now consuming huge amounts of available vaccine will drastically reduce their demand - while simultaneously new supplies, from streamlined production and additional manufacturers, will be coming on line.   In the UK specifically, once all residents interested in receiving the vaccine have had their shots, the makers will be actively seeking new markets. 

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Things are likely to come together - cruising is not likely to start until the bulk (if not all) of passengers have received vaccine - by which time the countries which are now consuming huge amounts of available vaccine will drastically reduce their demand - while simultaneously new supplies, from streamlined production and additional manufacturers, will be coming on line.   In the UK specifically, once all residents interested in receiving the vaccine have had their shots, the makers will be actively seeking new markets. 

Crystal has acknowledged that it may be difficult for crew to get the vaccine by June, when it plans to begin sailing ocean vessels again. Before the crew is able to be totally vaccinated, they will adhere to strict testing, etc. Once the vaccine is available to crew members, they will then be required to get vaccinated. Also, 81% of Crystal passengers polled agree with this vaccination policy.

5 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

Crystal has acknowledged that it may be difficult for crew to get the vaccine by June, when it plans to begin sailing ocean vessels again. Before the crew is able to be totally vaccinated, they will adhere to strict testing, etc. Once the vaccine is available to crew members, they will then be required to get vaccinated. Also, 81% of Crystal passengers polled agree with this vaccination policy.

Makes sense - however it may turn out that booking might lag a bit, inspiring Crystal to step up efforts to get crew vaccinated.  

7 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

Personally, I would not rely on testing to feel safe.  That is the procedure used in the Trump White House, where numerous people became infected anyway.  High-accuracy tests have a time lag before results are known, during which people can be exposed to the virus, and instant tests return occasional false negatives.  As much as I am longing to travel again, I'll wait until the end of the year at the soonest

We have been told all being well things should be normal in England by mid June. I am not sure what that will mean for cruises though. 

Hotels will not open until mid May.  A problem as I was booked for the end of April and first 2 days in May. Yet another trip to cancel.