Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

21 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I've finished work for a week from today, we can't do much but might manage a trip to a DIY store for some non-essential shopping from Monday ! Mr HH has booked a haircut, I might wait until the rush has gone and my fringe has recovered from my latest cut.

This thread has almost reached its first birthday, I don't think anyone expected us to be in a similar position a year later.

Thank you HH, watching this thread has been a bit of amusement in an otherwise mindblowing stressful year.   Will also create a new problem for me to stay upright in my Prada heels once dressed for dinner back on board,  watching fellow passengers and guessing their CC board identities

• Like 1

Thanks to you all for contributing to the thread, it wouldn't have been the same without you !

@Colin_Cameron that's really bad luck. 

@teabear no need to guess, just join the roll call and you can arrange introductions !

I'll have a look at the new itineraries, it doesn't look as if we're going to be going abroad for a while. We're starting to open up but some of our European neighbours are shutting down again.

• Like 2

This report is a few days old but the general point hasn't changed much, new variants and slow vaccination roll out.

BBC News - Covid in Europe: Vaccine suspension hits rollout as cases rise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56415249

This is more up to date

BBC News - Covid: France and Poland increase lockdown measures as infections surge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56466223

Hi everyone.

I had the Oxford vaccine on Thursday and the whole process was so quick and efficient that I was back in the car 5 minutes after getting out of it. My jab took place in a local community hall and everyone there was cheerful, friendly & welcoming. I felt like we were all taking part in a great national endeavour, albeit my part in it was very minor. I was pretty tired yesterday with the odd ache but today feel quite recovered. 

I read a piece by the well known UK travel writer, Simon Calder in today’s “i” newspaper about these planned round Britain cruises. Apparently, even though the cruises wont be leaving the UK and will be sold to British residents only, you will only be able to go ashore on the Princess ones if you take an organised ship’s excursion. I’m sure the idea behind this is to reduce the chances of someone bringing the virus onto the ship but it’s just not the kind of restriction that would make me want to book.  Looks like I will be contenting myself with trips to Cornwall again this year. 

I too have enjoyed reading & contributing to this thread over the past year, so thank you to @Host Hattieand everyone else who has shared their news, view, plans, ups and downs. In my first post, I think I said I was setting out to read the final 5 books in Winston Graham’s Poldark series (12 in total) as the UK locked down - well I finished the 12th book this week. I enjoyed all the novels tremendously and think it would be wonderful if they too were filmed for TV. (Both the 1970s series and the recent reboot stop at book 7.)

Although it has been a drab, overcast day here today it is the first day of astronomical spring for us with our clocks moving onto British Summertime next weekend. I love the spring - it’s the best time for gardening in my view - and just the sight of the daffodils, the new leaf buds and the very early Blackthorn blossom outside lifts the spirits! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

This report is a few days old but the general point hasn't changed much, new variants and slow vaccination roll out.

BBC News - Covid in Europe: Vaccine suspension hits rollout as cases rise

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56415249

This is more up to date

BBC News - Covid: France and Poland increase lockdown measures as infections surge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56466223

Thanks Hattie, very useful information. 

Apologies if I’m on the incorrect page here as I’m only just beginning to think about our October 18th 2021 QE Barcelona to Melbourne voyage. On again, off again in my mind! I dream. 

Has anyone seen if Cunard are selling a Southampton to Barcelona sector... now that they’ve cancelled all the Med cruises? Nothing on the Cunard website. Or will it go out with crew only? 
Thankyou

I'm starting to browse travel sites again, but Mr ALC will not go anywhere until masks are not required, so it's armchair travel for me for a while longer.  We do have our QV Japan trip in April 2022 to look forward to.  I'm hoping for something sooner, but it will depend on local restrictions.

Count me among those who've enjoyed this board for the past year.  Reading your daily ups and downs and amusing comments helped me stay connected to the outside world.  Really, we are a social species.  Thanks to all of you for sharing yourselves, and a big thanks to Host Hattie for starting the board.  Be well, everybody.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kynance said:

Although it has been a drab, overcast day here today it is the first day of astronomical spring for us with our clocks moving onto British Summertime next weekend. I love the spring - it’s the best time for gardening in my view - and just the sight of the daffodils, the new leaf buds and the very early Blackthorn blossom outside lifts the spirits! 

Ah, the sight of daffodils!  We're a little behind you here but even this makes me happyIMG_3177.jpg.52ae7e40d647a7aa2a4e9fc253a88fe8.jpg -

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yorky67 said:

Apologies if I’m on the incorrect page here as I’m only just beginning to think about our October 18th 2021 QE Barcelona to Melbourne voyage. On again, off again in my mind! I dream. 

Has anyone seen if Cunard are selling a Southampton to Barcelona sector... now that they’ve cancelled all the Med cruises? Nothing on the Cunard website. Or will it go out with crew only? 
Thankyou

QE cruises are cancelled up until 11th October so I should imagine IF cruises return to normal after that date they will probably announce a 7day cruise leaving Southampton and arriving in Barcelona and then fly home. They wont if they can make money for a short "fly home" cruise sail to Barcelona empty.

Majortom

Yes... hadn’t thought about a ‘fly home’ option. That would make sense. I’ll look out for it ..as we have the time right now and would be good to sail from Southampton, rather  than flying out to Barcelona, as planned right now. Thankyou. 

It's definitely Spring here, lots of daffodils and the birds are being very noisy. The sun has made an appearance here so it's almost like being on holiday ! We tried to recreate the Cunard experience with a pre-dinner cocktail. Probably should have put on some soothing music rather than watching England lose at rugby.

It's Census Day here.

I have done mine as well.

The magpies are destroying the tree in my garden. Taking the twigs they want for the nest and dropping the rejects on the lawn. The great tits have been back to look at the hole in the wall so that may be a nest site again this year.

We spotted two peregrin falcon on our walk through Cambridge city centre this morning. They nest on one of the buildings each year. One swooped down right above us, giving us a fabulous view of it. Spring is definately here 😊 

• Like 2

We completed our census form online last Sunday, which you were allowed to do, provided you updated your return if anything changed.  I figured nothing would change given the current situation! 

Yesterday a record breaking 873,784 vaccines were administered in the UK, meaning more than the half the adult population has received at least one jab. Congratulations 👏 to everyone involved in this magnificent effort. 

However, overseas travel to Europe this summer is starting to look more doubtful, perhaps understandably given the much lower level roll out of vaccines on the continent.  I am sure this will be very disappointing for many, if not devastating for those working in the travel industry and indicates that while the light at the tunnel is increasingly brighter, there is still some distance to travel towards it. 

• Like 4

On 3/19/2021 at 10:25 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

My 92yo MIL has been housebound since this all started, until she got taken into hospital about a month ago. The good news there is that hospital visiting may be allowed starting sometime next month.

It turns out that next month was too late.

49 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It turns out that next month was too late.

Colin, I read your post and gather that your MIL did not make it. I am so sorry for you and your Spouse. Your family have my condolences. This has been a rough year for us all.