Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

17 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I got an email from my Dr, telling me to call to make an appointment to receive my first shot. By the time I got through they told me the first shipment had been reserved. I will have to wait for the next allotment, expected in the first week of January, but I see a long wait. At least the queue is forming and beginning to move. So progress.

Here in Florida, there is much consternation about if and when we receive a vaccination. Not enough vaccine is available for a large elder population, and all of the phone numbers given out by news agencies to call for an appt. are busy with the large number of callers trying to make an appointment. Yesterday after the first hour of calls, it was announced that the vaccine was no longer available. Our doctor’s have no idea when they will be getting the vaccine, and so it goes. I have little hope that we will be vaccinated anytime soon. 

A strong line of thunderstorms passed through last night. On several occasions shutting down the satellite TV signal for a few minutes. But, any free water is welcomed. The New Year Fireworks lads and lasses were not able to be out and conduct their 'war games' so that was nice. No doubt they will make up for it tonight.

Preparations are underway to celebrate New Years Eve with our Brit friends as we hear Big Ben strike 12 at 6 pm local. In bed by 10 hunkered down for the fire works 'battle'.

Good Brexit to our British Friends, Happy New Year to all of those who have posted on this thread in 2020. Have faith, 2021 will be a better year.  God Bless us all. 

• Like 3

That's pretty, we had a few flakes yesterday but not enough to stick.

Happy New Year everyone, we stayed up watching a couple of films, toasted Big Ben with a glass of bubbly and enjoyed the fireworks/drone display, especially as I wasn't expecting it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

That's pretty, we had a few flakes yesterday but not enough to stick.

Happy New Year everyone, we stayed up watching a couple of films, toasted Big Ben with a glass of bubbly and enjoyed the fireworks/drone display, especially as I wasn't expecting it.

We toasted Big Ben as well - and thank you folks for that.  It’s good to be able to formally acknowledge the New Year without having to stay up to an absurd hour just to make sure the certain event does, in fact, happen.

• Haha 2

A slightly belated happy new year to everyone! As I said to friends & family, good riddance to 2020 & welcome to 2021.

My other half & I had a quiet but enjoyable Christmas - our turkey joint for six was enough for lunch, two rounds of rolls and a final “hurrah” of turkey toasties on the 27th. We do still have some mince pies, Christmas cake and rather a lot of chocolate to keep us going.  Fortunately, I am pretty disciplined so the chocolate will probably last for several months more. 😊

I am right at the bottom of the UK priority list for the vaccine with my OH somewhat further up, so I am wondering whether I can make the chocolate stash last until I get my jab! 

The family of a friend of mine was sick with Covid right over Christmas - my friend herself seems to have suffered most with a very upset stomach & complete loss of appetite. Obviously it was horrible to have the thing and those symptoms at any time, but it must have felt especially miserable over the festive period. I don’t think she was particularly surprised to catch it as she has school-age children and both she & her husband can’t do their jobs from home - plus their London borough had the highest infection rate in the UK until it was recently overtaken. 

I have just been reading that another “beast from the east” weather system is heading to the UK, bringing very cold weather & snow.  If that is the case, it is not heading to West Berkshire because I can see nothing in our forecast over the next week or so. Snow looks lovely when it has just fallen and if you don’t need to get anywhere but I imagine, given our struggle to cope with just a few inches of the stuff, the UK & devolved governments are keeping their fingers crossed the snow heads elsewhere so it does not impact rolling out the vaccination programme. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kynance said:

I have just been reading that another “beast from the east” weather system is heading to the UK, bringing very cold weather & snow.  If that is the case, it is not heading to West Berkshire because I can see nothing in our forecast over the next week or so. Snow looks lovely when it has just fallen and if you don’t need to get anywhere but I imagine, given our struggle to cope with just a few inches of the stuff, the UK & devolved governments are keeping their fingers crossed the snow heads elsewhere so it does not impact rolling out the vaccination programme. 

No snow in our forecast for the next week either, despite being in the east!

I'm also late to the party. Happy New Year to everyone! It has been really fun and very interesting hearing how things are in the various places being posted from around the world.

Take care and stay safe, everyone. There is hope for an end to all this on the horizon.

• Like 3

I'm impressed with your chocolate rationing skills @Kynance, Mr HH and I bought each other the same box from Hotel Chocolat. His is unopened, mine has 3 left !

He's back at work again, I'm watching Bridgerton. I'm back working from home on Monday, back on site on Thursday.

I can't decide whether to book another cruise for later in the year to give us something to look forward to, although that didn't work out so well last time !

A local photographer posted this shot of sunrise on New Year's Day.

FB_IMG_1609595847015.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

England is now back in full lockdown, just as the news seemed to be getting better.  This is not a good time to be looking for a job, but the search goes on.

I hope the job market in your specialty opens up.  I feel so fortunate in being past any need for revenue producing work except for the occasional expert witness/consultancy gig- and now am currently "on lay off" in the volunteer education field. 

Edited by navybankerteacher

17 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

England is now back in full lockdown, just as the news seemed to be getting better.  This is not a good time to be looking for a job, but the search goes on.

LL be of stout faith. The new year is here. Vaccines are being administered and the world will open again. I know it's not fast enough for most of us, but it will happen. Stay healthy and have hope. You are not in this alone. 

17 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Keep your hopes up, Lanky Lad.  I think there are many of us on this thread who are rooting for you to find a job soon.  Looking forward to your victory lap.

It's a shame your employer couldn't have kept you furloughed, good luck with the hunt.

My first couple of days working from home have been OK, although Biggles decided yesterday that what I really needed was him to bring a small bird into the house ! I think it survived after I got it away from him.

Back on site on Thursday. It'll be my first time out of the house/garden since 19th December.

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks everyone I will keep looking and update you all when there is any news.

On the bright side at least I don't have to get up early and go to work in the snow.

And as someone who hates snow. that is a very good thing indeed. 

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You don't know what hating snow is -- you have conceded to it by migrating -- I have to deal with the damn stuff every @#$%^&*() winter.

Maybe you should migrate to Asian countries like Singapore, which are hot, bright and sunny throughout the year.

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Maybe you should migrate to Asian countries like Singapore, which are hot, bright and sunny throughout the year.

The problem is that relocating to someplace that is consistently hot is simply trading one type of discomfort for another.  At least in climate zones like Connecticut’s the Spring and Fall are close to ideal, and most of Summer is    fine - just a few days too hot/humid - but most of the time from April through early November neither heating or air-conditioning is needed.    I stay here, because for most of the year it is pretty good - that does not mean I have to like Winter and the mess that comes with it.  

In most years, we escape to St. Maarten in January, perhaps a cruise in Frbruary and several weeks in March-April to the Gulf Coast of Florida.  The two-house “snowbird” approach does not appeal - but picking the right spots for a couple of times when Connecticut is not desirable works for us.

Covid mucked that up starting in March 2020.

But, back on topic: snow sucks - and winter should be declared obsolete.

Edited by navybankerteacher