The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

Enjoying some crisp, summery Napa Sauvignon Blanc this evening here in the virtual Explorer’s Lounge. Counting down the 45 days until we’ll be having a glass in the real thing. Skál! 🥂

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, deec said:

But Twitchly,  you will be leaving Michigan at our BEST time of the year!

I know! Can’t be helped. 

I must say, though, the weather here this past week has been pretty spectacular! Sunny, 70s and low 80s, low humidity, breezy … perfect. Just like September, in fact! 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

I know! Can’t be helped. 

I must say, though, the weather here this past week has been pretty spectacular! Sunny, 70s and low 80s, low humidity, breezy … perfect. Just like September, in fact! 😄 

<Jumping for joy> Living due east of you, I hope that weather is heading straight for us.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 2:08 AM, Azulann said:

celebrating my granddaughter"s 20th birthday

Nice to bump into you again in the lounge. Surely you meant to say your daughter's 20th birthday 😁 DW and I are both fine and trust that you are. We too became grandparents at the end of last year, also a little girl.  

We are only a few weeks away now from our next Viking cruise and even have another TA booked for 2024 - Buenos Aires to Barcelona. It will be hard to match the fun we had on that San Juan to Barcelona crossing but still very much looking forward 12/13 sea days. Each time I try to count them I come up with a different number 🤪

Life spins by so fast and I'm sure those 300+ days to your next cruise will go by in no time.

Now, I wonder what the bartender can do with Maker's Mark, apart from an old-fashioned, I'll just go and ask.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, photopro2 said:

DW and I are both fine and trust that you are. We too became grandparents at the end of last year, also a little girl.

Congratulations on becoming grandparents.🥂 I am sure your granddaughter is the love of your life. As a great photographer, I know  she will have lovely pictures at every age. Now you need more room in luggage to  pack the cutest gifts you will find for her on your travels! I know I  always found something typical of the country I visited for gift giving to the little ones when I got home.  

Look forward to your   posts and pictures about your upcoming cruise. Your 2024 TA will be  heavenly.

Life is good even in these trying times, especially when this virtual lounge is open for quick visits .

Cheers!

Patti 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Nice to bump into you again in the lounge. Surely you meant to say your daughter's 20th birthday 😁 DW and I are both fine and trust that you are. We too became grandparents at the end of last year, also a little girl.  

We are only a few weeks away now from our next Viking cruise and even have another TA booked for 2024 - Buenos Aires to Barcelona. It will be hard to match the fun we had on that San Juan to Barcelona crossing but still very much looking forward 12/13 sea days. Each time I try to count them I come up with a different number 🤪

Life spins by so fast and I'm sure those 300+ days to your next cruise will go by in no time.

Now, I wonder what the bartender can do with Maker's Mark, apart from an old-fashioned, I'll just go and ask.....

Lion's Tail

Photopro2 and Azulann,  good to see you two again in the the Virtual Explorers Lounge.  It’s amazes me how you both seem to fondly remember our shared Trans Atlantic cruise a number of years afterward. We too think back on that particular cruise as one of the best, if not the best one we have experienced. We attribute it to the number of relaxing sea days, great fellow cruisers, the wonderfully attentive Viking Sea crew and officers, and not the least, the most successful Meet and Mingles (the 1st one at the beginning and the 2nd on our last night at the suggestion of the ship’s hotel manager). It all made for great memories.

Patti, we are hoping to be flying into MSP on the 17th of next month for our Viking Mississippi River cruise, but it is looking somewhat “ify”. Viking has had to cancel at least 2 months of the ships initial cruises, so it has not gone into service yet. The 1st cruise that has not been cancelled yet is the August 27th short cruise from St. Louis to MSP with 2 more similar ones before our 15 day MSP to New Orleans. We are checking what our alternatives will be if it is cancelled.

photopro2,  we are booked for the same cruise as you are (Buenos Aires to Barcelona)aboard the Viking Jupiter but one year earlier beginning March 13, 2023. This will be our 3rd attempt at this 22day adventure. Both previous bookings have been cancelled for one reason or another.

Just time enough to get a Jack Daniels on the rock before heading back to our cabin and a good night’s sleep rocked gently by the ship’s motion through the seas. I bid one and all bon chance and adieu!

Senior Gators (Richard and Margie)

• Like 3

Can’t remember if I mentioned this already, but I’ve been lately enjoying a fabulous, summery take on my usual gin and tonic: add muddled strawberries and muddled mint leaves, with a wedge of lime. A local dive makes this in a tall glass with ice, and I’m addicted! Perfect on a hot, sunny day. 🍓

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Can’t remember if I mentioned this already, but I’ve been lately enjoying a fabulous, summery take on my usual gin and tonic: add muddled strawberries and muddled mint leaves, with a wedge of lime. A local dive makes this in a tall glass with ice, and I’m addicted! Perfect on a hot, sunny day. 🍓

Add a splash of St. Germaine!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Next year we will be leaving Michigan for three weeks in July and we live on a lake!

We’d be happy to look after your house while you’re gone! Always happy to do a neighbor a favor. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

In July we would gladly travel up there.  It will only be around 110 here.  And why do all the great longer cruises sail in our Winter?  Winter is the only reason to live here.....😎

I think you almost answered your own question…not everyone lives there!😂

• Haha 1

Since this is the only place I know where anyone might understand my excitement….

We usually book cruises relatively last minute, but last week we realized that because we already had one cruise booked (October 2022 Hong Kong to Bangkok) that Viking would delay their usual one year in advance final payment to six months before. We have been planning to take their cruise from Reykjavik to Bergen to celebrate Mike’s 60th next summer but hadn’t booked it because we didn’t want to tie up that much money for that long.

We looked when they first offered the $25 deposit promo in celebration of their 25th Anniversary but since final payment would be due in September 2022 we had elected to wait until after our October cruise.  But when we realized last week that we could book now and not pay the balance until January, we jumped. So now for the first time in a very long time we have two cruises on the books and for the first time two showing up in Viking’s online system, MVJ!  I wasn’t sure how MVJ would work with two, but since it does we just need another one booked! 😂

8C89E3B1-5918-4582-98B0-92AF589C4FDC.jpeg

• Like 13

On 8/7/2022 at 12:36 PM, Clay Clayton said:

So now for the first time in a very long time we have two cruises on the books and for the first time two showing up in Viking’s online system, MVJ!  I wasn’t sure how MVJ would work with two, but since it does we just need another one booked! 😂

8C89E3B1-5918-4582-98B0-92AF589C4FDC.jpeg

I’ll enjoy booking early since half the fun is the anticipation and planning! And we don’t give each other big gifts so we often find a little way to celebrate special occasions with a small gift to remind us of the upcoming adventure. Books, bag tags,  a meal at a restaurant with the cuisine of the country we will be visiting… 

Have fun!