Alaska Cruises Suspended Through July 1st by Celebrity. Princess to Follow?

Guindalf

Just received a call from a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner, acknowledging we had recently cancelled our Alaskan cruise and wanted to know if we had any questions regarding any of the current situations.  After asking about turn-around time for processing, she said they are trying to give worst case scenario timeframe, however don't anticipate it to be that long, dependent on individual situations.  She did say for some of the earlier cancellations around the beginning of March that she is now beginning to see some turn-around for those cancellations.  I stated I would rather them take the time and process it correctly the first time, and again it depends on how complicated the individual cancellation is.  I do feel better about the whole process and she did assure me even though I couldn't see all of my booking, that she could and everything done to an account is traceable.  This would've been our first cruise with Princess, so unfamiliar territory with them, but was surprised that they did reach out to me and my daughters.  For now, they have restored my faith in them!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What writing?  

Not sure if you are asking this seriously or not ... 

But, in case you are asking in sincerity 'the writing on the wall' meaning:

clear signs that a situation is going to become very difficult or unpleasant

Edited by Cruise Raider

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not sure if you are asking this seriously or not ... 

But, in case you are asking in sincerity 'the writing on the wall' meaning:

clear signs that a situation is going to become very difficult or unpleasant

IMO everyone sees things differently.

I like to look at the positive things that may come out of this.

The 7 people here on CC that hate Princess are all that I am seeing

I am waiting for some facts. 

Too much speculation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

IMO everyone sees things differently.

I like to look at the positive things that may come out of this.

The 7 people here on CC that hate Princess are all that I am seeing

I am waiting for some facts. 

Too much speculation.

I understand.  The only writing on the wall I am referring to is that the early season Alaska cruises will most likely be canceled.  Other than that, I am staying positive about all things cruising and actually hope some good comes out of this.  

I don't hate princess as a matter of fact I am platinum and called them today to secure a plan b cruise in case princess can't pull off a miracle and sail in June.  They were the pioneers of Alaska cruises so if anyone could pull some special deals it could be them....but if the health situation is not better and princess cancels June for safety I stand behind them and I have a plan b. they were very nice on the phone this is not their fault and I feel for them with all the people I am sure that are calling in yelling. 

• Like 1

Seattle, AK and Canada have closed their ports indefinitely or in Canada's case July 1.  Until all three relent and open their ports, no one is sailing to AK.  I believe Princess is watching these happenings before announcing when and if AK cruises will start this year.  It is better to say the situation is being monitored than to set a specific date when the cruises will start only to be modified again.   It is not only confusing but getting pax hopes up and then having to cancel is not a great idea.   Princess is going to have to make a decision of course by May but most likely will be a system wide statement.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Seattle, AK and Canada have closed their ports indefinitely or in Canada's case July 1.  Until all three relent and open their ports, no one is sailing to AK.  I believe Princess is watching these happenings before announcing when and if AK cruises will start this year.  It is better to say the situation is being monitored than to set a specific date when the cruises will start only to be modified again.   It is not only confusing but getting pax hopes up and then having to cancel is not a great idea.   Princess is going to have to make a decision of course by May but most likely will be a system wide statement.  

I think they will announce their decision on Monday, along with Carnival and Holland America ... although, just speculation on my part.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 2:15 PM, Cruise Raider said:

I think they will announce their decision on Monday, along with Carnival and Holland America ... although, just speculation on my part.  

And now, I also posted this on another thread but no announcement about the early Alaska sailings as of yet from Carnival or Princess, although  Carnival and Holland both announced a further suspension of operations until the second week of May.  

Of note, Holland did also release the following statement:

Transport Canada has suspended the cruise season across Canada until July 1, 2020. 
We will be evaluating our Alaska and Canada & New England cruises scheduled within this time frame and will share more information as soon as we have it.

So, the wait continues ... no news yet!  Maybe they are hoping this latest round of US national guidelines will ease the restrictions ... I'm not so hopeful it will.  

Hopefully someone can answer this...

Today is the final day to cancel our 5/23 in order to get everything but $200/cabin back, which will be applied as FCC. We actually cancelled last week.

If Princess eventually cancels the 5/23 cruise, have we given up our rights to claim the $200 back as a refund? It's very doubtful we would cruise by end of next year.

26 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

Hopefully someone can answer this...

Today is the final day to cancel our 5/23 in order to get everything but $200/cabin back, which will be applied as FCC. We actually cancelled last week.

If Princess eventually cancels the 5/23 cruise, have we given up our rights to claim the $200 back as a refund? It's very doubtful we would cruise by end of next year.

My understanding is Anything we would normally "lose" would be in FCC.  So cancelling now gets you your deposit in FCC. There is a cancellation schedule on the updated booking from Princess.  There is a 50/50 money back and FCC date. Then a 75/25 amount, at 75% in FCC and 25% in cash back. I believe Princess gives up to 48 hours before cruise to get 100% FCC for cruises through July 31, 20.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

33 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

My understanding is Anything we would normally "lose" would be in FCC.  So cancelling now gets you your deposit in FCC. There is a cancellation schedule on the updated booking from Princess.  There is a 50/50 money back and FCC date. Then a 75/25 amount, at 75% in FCC and 25% in cash back. I believe Princess gives up to 48 hours before cruise to get 100% FCC for cruises through July 31, 20.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html

I understand that. But if the cruise gets cancelled before departure, then you are entitled to a full refund.