Future Cruise Credit

kengleong29

Dont be deceived by Celebrity's claim of full credit on cancelled cruises.  We had booked two suite cabins on Equinox for March 14-21, 2020.  Cancelled 3 days before departure because of their cruise with confidence claim. The ship actually did not sail because of gvernment recommendation/order.  Finally got an email today with the stated amount of the future cruise credit but less the taxes and port fees.  So, Celebrity is keeping those fees even though they did not sail and would not be liable for those fees!!!  So we lost a total of about $800.

Update on previous posting.  Finally got thru to Celebrity.  Was informed that the taxes and fees will be credited to my credit card.  So their clsim of full credit for the bookings is valid.  They should have clarified this matter in their email for the future cruise credit notification.

• Like 1

In the Celebrity email with the future cruise credit, the fine print states:

All guests are responsible for taxes and fees where applicable.

So to me it implies that they not responsible for those fees which is very deceiving.  When I called them, they said otherwise and that the amount will be credited to my CC as posted by jalves.

What they are sayingg about taxes and fees on/in the FCC relates to any future cruise you book.  The FCC covers cruise fare, less the deposit but it does not cover taxes and fees.  Taxes and fees from your current cruise will be refunded to you. I had an occasion to have to cancel one cruise 5 days before departure because I was in the hospital and they refunded my taxes and fees, the rest has to be claimed on my insurance.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kengleong29 said:

In the Celebrity email with the future cruise credit, the fine print states:

All guests are responsible for taxes and fees where applicable.

So to me it implies that they not responsible for those fees which is very deceiving.  When I called them, they said otherwise and that the amount will be credited to my CC as posted by jalves.

You misinterpreted this sentence. This actually means that when you apply your FCC to a future cruise, it will be applied to the cruise fare only and that you will be responsible for paying for taxes and fees.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

What they are sayingg about taxes and fees on/in the FCC relates to any future cruise you book.  The FCC covers cruise fare, less the deposit but it does not cover taxes and fees.  Taxes and fees from your current cruise will be refunded to you. I had an occasion to have to cancel one cruise 5 days before departure because I was in the hospital and they refunded my taxes and fees, the rest has to be claimed on my insurance.

Exactly. The future use of the FCC and the refund of the taxes and port fees for the cancelled cruise are two entirely different issues.

8 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

What happens if the future cruise fare costs less the FCC? Do you lose the difference? 

Please read the FAQ in the appropriate section on this link.  Either Cruise with Confidence or Cruising Suspension.  They are quite good and answer many questions including this one.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

Please read the FAQ in the appropriate section on this link.  Either Cruise with Confidence or Cruising Suspension.  They are quite good and answer many questions including this one.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

Thank you for the information. My cruise is next fall, outside the window of Cruise with Confidence and final payment isn't due until June. I want to cancel, even if Celebrity doesn't cancel the cruise. I booked it as nonrefundable deposit. For $100 pp I can apply the deposit to another sailing in the future, but I don't know if there are restrictions for when that cruise can be and if I can make a reservation for that cruise, and then change my mind and move apply the credit to another cruise. I assume I would be able to apply it to a less expensive cruise than the one I originally, but I'm not sure. 

This post is about FCC issued for remainder of deposit when cancelling a NRD booking prior to final payment.   Not applicable to FCC from CWC or Cruise Suspension FCC.

In the T&C for the NRD it states that it expires 1 year from issue and doesn't mention sailing date.  This is similar to a FCC I was issued last summer for a cruise Celebrity canceled.  In that case you had to apply the FCC to a new reservation before the expiry but the sailing could be beyond the expiry.   If you cancel that new reservation prior to the expiry then it can be used again before the expiry date.  If you cancel after the expiry the value of the FCC is lost.  I believe there will be much confusion in the future with FCC's and you should try to get something in writing before you cancel that you can apply the FCC for the balance of your deposit before the expiry to a cruise sailing after the expiry if that's in fact what you want to do.

Yes you can apply it to a less expensive cruise.   I assume that the new cruise (minus taxes/fees and deposit) will be more than your FCC.   If not any balance will be lost.  FCC can only be applied to "Cruise Fare" not Taxes/Fees and can't be used for deposit.

If you have a cruise in mind you could always just change this existing reservation to the new ship/sail date for the $100 pp change fee.  No FCC involved.

Non-Refundable Deposit: To qualify for the lowest available cruise fare, guest must choose a non-refundable deposit. Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”)in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date

Edited by wrk2cruise