Royal Caribbean Terminal 10 in Galveston delayed a year?

27 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Then they should switch Capital Projects' funding source from RCL to Port of Galveston.

I don't know of any Airlines building their own terminals at the airports...

It's a Public Private Partnership. The Cruise Lines have been providing funding all over the world for projects . .   

5 minutes ago, BSocial said:

whoa, what makes you think the Port has the funds for this huge project?  

This is a partnership with Royal.  Port Contributes infrastructure work around pier 10.  RCI builds the new terminal #3.  RCI pays a lease.  It’s a win-win for both, even with a year’s delay. 

Remember, the Port is also losing money currently from lack of ship calls (passenger taxes) and parking fees.   

@ssb may have posted the original contract details when it was originally signed last December.     Perhaps he can find and post the revised contract details after the Wharves meeting tomorrow, 

Thanks BSocial . The more important information will be from meeting tomorrow . I will provide update .

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ssb said:

It's a Public Private Partnership. The Cruise Lines have been providing funding all over the world for projects . .   

Port Canaveral picks up almost all the cost for their terminals. Just finished 163 million terminal for Carnival.

I believe Carnival chipped in 50 million

But they guarantee 14 million in port fees

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ssb said:

whoa, what makes you think the Port has the funds for this huge project?  

Whoa,  what makes you think the Cruise Line has the funds for this huge project TODAY?  

At least Port Authorities has access to Municipal Revenues Bonds capital funding...

We're booked on Allure B-2-B in early 2022. Not interested in the other ship options for Galveston. I wonder what RCCL'S position will be if we choose to cancel (non-refundable) if they can't deliver an Oasis class ship for that timeframe.

5 minutes ago, STEVE-O said:

We're booked on Allure B-2-B in early 2022. Not interested in the other ship options for Galveston. I wonder what RCCL'S position will be if we choose to cancel (non-refundable) if they can't deliver an Oasis class ship for that timeframe.

Typically this would be treated as a redeployment. You will get

1. a couple sailings to choose from and some OBC or

2. just some OBC to move to any other cruise or 

3. The option to cancel and receive a full refund including those on non refundable deposits. 

You must  wait for Royal to cancel the cruise.  If you cancel it you will get nothing and pay any penalties associated with the cancellation. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Whoa,  what makes you think the Cruise Line has the funds for this huge project TODAY?  

At least Port Authorities has access to Municipal Revenues Bonds capital funding...

Galveston Wharves

The public agency that operates the public port is officially known as the Board of Trustees of the Galveston Wharves, so designated by the City Charter as set forth and adopted on October 17, 1940. The wharf and terminal properties purchased by the City of Galveston were set apart and designated as a separate utility of the city - thus the name "Galveston Wharves." 

Port of Galveston is an enterprise type business,  not a municipality.  Income  is derived only from revenues of Wharves Operations. It has no taxing authority therefore no tax base supporting operations Or capital funding . 

2 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Yes, Port Canaveral issues bonds.

Municipalities with taxing power issues General Obligation bonds.

Houston airport systems & Harris County toll road authorities, Special projects (bridges, stadiums, etc...) are not Municipalities, but do issue Municipal Revenue Bonds. Port of Galveston bonds are revenue bonds...

• Thanks 1

Just to answer a question posted above, yes, airlines do pay for terminal construction.  Often times it is a split public-private partnership, but many are built predominantly with airline money.  Examples would be Terminal 8 @ JFK paid for by AA, LGA terminal (D I think) paid for by Delta, etc.  Usually, those are exclusive-use terminals where the airline and it's partners are the only users.

20 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Then they should switch Capital Projects' funding source from RCL to Port of Galveston.

Roger Rees ex Port Canaveral's chief financial officer and also was one of Port Canaveral's two deputy executive directors ,

appears to not agree with you. He is now  the port director/chief executive officer in Galveston . 

Edited by ssb

1 hour ago, ssb said:

Roger Rees ex Port Canaveral's chief financial officer and also was one of Port Canaveral's two deputy executive directors ,

appears to not agree with you. He is now  the port director/chief executive officer in Galveston . 

That sounds good for Carnival

Apologies, but what happened at the wharves meeting, or is that tonight?

Edited by John&LaLa

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That sounds good for Carnival

Apologies, but what happened at the wharves meeting, or is that tonight?

Wharves meetings occur in day .

And discussion will be in Executive Session !

Hopefully there is some release of information by Port, but if negotiations are still on going , we may not find out for while .

If Royal is wanted in Galveston , Port will really have no option but to grant a reasonable extension  .

Apologies also , but expound on Carnival comment ???? Thanks .😃    

22 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Here in Houston, both Southwest(Hobby) and United(Bush) built new terminals recently.  

https://hub.united.com/united-houston-new-terminal-c-2567373000.html

https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/airports-municipalities/news/11182222/southwest-begins-construction-of-new-terminal

23 minutes ago, nessy48 said:

You can watch the wharf meeting from yesterday online.  https://portofgalvestontx.new.swagit.com/videos/51447

I have not watched it yet, but my goal is to have it on today when I make some macarons later, hopefully we will know.  Once I hear an answer either way, I will update.  

Looks like the executive session where they discussed The terminal issue was private and not recorded

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Looks like the executive session where they discussed The terminal issue was private and not recorded

Damn, well thanks for checking!  Saves me time later!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Others are saying Allure is still open for booking on Royal's site,

in spite of Royal's request for terminal extension . 

Considering that,  could Allure "possibly" still be coming November 2021 ?

First thought to ponder 

We have cruised into and out of Rome a few times on Voyager Class Ships.

A tent was used for the terminal in Rome.  

So guess a tent or two could possibly be used in Galveston 2022 for the Terminal at Pier 10.

Allure can be used in the port channel , even if with additional changes required.

Galveston in general is completing all work at Pier 10 and other road improvements in area.

Second thought to ponder  

In 2022 Already greatly improved and expanded Terminal # 2 with additional tenting (if needed) could possibly be used for Allure .

This while Terminal # 3 being built at Pier 10 not interfering with construction .   

Supporting information

Class /       Overall Length Ft* /      Draft Ft
Voyager /         1021 Ft /                    29 Ft
Quantum /       1142 Ft /                     29 Ft
Freedom /        1112 Ft /                    29 Ft
Oasis /             1181 Ft /                    31 Ft

Entire Galveston Port Channel
“Narrowest”  Width 1200 (it is much wider)
Minimum Depth 45

And there is turning basin 

* not at waterline and relative to turn around

2 hours ago, ssb said:

Others are saying Allure is still open for booking on Royal's site,

in spite of Royal's request for terminal extension . 

Considering that,  could Allure "possibly" still be coming November 2021 ?

First thought to ponder 

We have cruised into and out of Rome a few times on Voyager Class Ships.

A tent was used for the terminal in Rome.  

So guess a tent or two could possibly be used in Galveston 2022 for the Terminal at Pier 10.

Allure can be used in the port channel , even if with additional changes required.

Galveston in general is completing all work at Pier 10 and other road improvements in area.

Second thought to ponder  

In 2022 Already greatly improved and expanded Terminal # 2 with additional tenting (if needed) could possibly be used for Allure .

This while Terminal # 3 being built at Pier 10 not interfering with construction .   

Well, they are also still selling May 17, 2020 out of Barcelona, and I'll bet that aint happening either.

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2020 at 4:50 PM, John&LaLa said:

Port Canaveral picks up almost all the cost for their terminals. Just finished 163 million terminal for Carnival.

I believe Carnival chipped in 50 million

But they guarantee 14 million in port fees

If Carnival chipped in 50 million which just under a third of the construction cost, then I would not consider Port Canaveral picking up almost all of the cost.

I think in these type of situations the guarantee of port fees is for five years.