Royal Caribbean Terminal 10 in Galveston delayed a year?

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Wonder why they couldn't refit the old Houston cruise terminal, it essentially has hardly been ported by cruise ships at all and what a waste.  If they can port out of NOLA, why not Houston.  That is a commercial port, it should be big enough for Oasis class.

The Houston port is horrible. Nothing wrong with the facility, it just has no support in the form of hotel, restaurants etc . The port is prone to Looong fog delays.That is not a mere inconvenience. Most of the passengers arrive by plane or tour bus. In the event of a 24 hour delay ( not unheard of at that port) the passengers have the choice of returning home or finding a 100$ cab ride into Houston to await instruction. If you came by car you cannot get into the parking lot because it is full from the inbound ship. NOLA is bad from an 8 to 12 hour river trip before the ship can open, but at least if a ship is fogged out the passengers can at least find lodging. At the Houston port there is nothing around for miles and miles.

Doug

40 minutes ago, spunks said:

NOLA is bad from an 8 to 12 hour river trip

Yeah, that's what I said, but if they can do that why not HOuston.  I agree the parking lot is very small and no other lots around, but as far as fog is concerned, we have had several fog impacted cruises out of Galveston as well...once on Navi we were kept outside the harbor for 3 hours waiting to come in...another we didn't leave until 2:00 in the morning before departing.  That year RCCL treated everybody to a meal stipend on account of the fog.

40 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Yeah, that's what I said, but if they can do that why not HOuston.  I agree the parking lot is very small and no other lots around, but as far as fog is concerned, we have had several fog impacted cruises out of Galveston as well...once on Navi we were kept outside the harbor for 3 hours waiting to come in...another we didn't leave until 2:00 in the morning before departing.  That year RCCL treated everybody to a meal stipend on account of the fog.

Again...this works out of Galveston or NOLA, but NOT out of that port in Houston. If you bus from Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio, you are out of luck if the ship is delayed. You cannot just stay on the bus. They would have to take you somewhere and "dump " you as they have to have the bus somewhere else. Where would that be? If you came by car you at least could drive the 30 or so miles back to a hotel in Houston. If you flew into Hobby orHouston Intl....good luck. The Port of Houston PAID Princess $1,000,000 per year just to sail from there and at the end of the contract Princess fled.

I did ncl out of houston one time and thought yuck but never heard others felt the same. It is in the middle of nowhere.

Rcl issue seems to be lack of money. If they dont have cash to borrow for Galveston why would they have it for another port. Any port would require some funds imo to make it oasis class ready. 

If they dely allure again and expect me to slide into liberty, I'd probably cancel. Its baloney to expect you to keep doing that. Even $100 obc wouldnt make up the cost difference to me. 

...though it occurred to me yesterday if terminal delayed another year because of covid ...I'll probably have a whole lot of other complaints. 

3 hours ago, spunks said:

If you bus

Does anybody bus anymore????  I lived in San Antonio for 45 yrs, we drove to Galveston almost every one of our 25 cruises.  I'm more than familiar with the situation there.  It was just an idea that RCCL could invest in it like they did for places like CoCoCay and eventually make it convenient.  And we stayed in hotels the night before everywhere between Houston and Galveston and on island...there are plenty of places to stay there.   Anyway sailing from Galveston is on the back burner as well so its a moot point.

Edited by BecciBoo

Did a Princess cruise out of Bayport (Houston), due to fog overnighted the first night at the port, and had to return early due to fog/weather.

Terminal itself was nice, but too small.  Waiting to check in we were put in a tent.  Not a good start!

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Does anybody bus anymore????  I lived in San Antonio for 45 yrs, we drove to Galveston almost every one of our 25 cruises.  I'm more than familiar with the situation there.  It was just an idea that RCCL could invest in it like they did for places like CoCoCay and eventually make it convenient.  And we stayed in hotels the night before everywhere between Houston and Galveston and on island...there are plenty of places to stay there.   Anyway sailing from Galveston is on the back burner as well so its a moot point.

Are you serious?....Have you seen all the bus's lined up at the port of Galveston on embarkation? I am not talking Greyhound....tour bus's....They come from Austin, San Antonio, Dallas....etc. We once took 3 bus's from our Del Webb in San Antonio alone.

9 hours ago, spunks said:

Are you serious?....Have you seen all the bus's lined up at the port of Galveston on embarkation? I am not talking Greyhound....tour bus's....They come from Austin, San Antonio, Dallas....etc. We once took 3 bus's from our Del Webb in San Antonio alone.

Never noticed since we drive...thought they were tour buses yes, But not from outside of Houston, thought just from the mainland over.  A lot of them are RCCL charters for the hop over from Hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat related:

The Port of Galveston is talking with Norwegian Cruise Line about a memorandum of understanding for a long-term strategy beginning in November 2023.

NCL had a 'Texaribbean' cruise program from Houston years ago but the line has never sailed from Galveston. Norwegian Prima is now set to call in fall 2022 for three visits.

This led Seatrade Cruise News to earlier ask NCL President and CEO Harry Sommer if the line was looking at Galveston as a potential new homeport.

The Port of Galveston today indicated that's the case.

NCL has six 142,500gt Prima-class newbuilds coming between 2022 and 2027.

New Royal Caribbean terminal

The fall 2023 timing for the start of a possible agreement with NCL dovetails with the completion of Royal Caribbean Group's planned $100m cruise terminal to accommodate the first Oasis-class ship in Texas. 

Galveston recently granted Royal Caribbean an extension for that facility because the company needs more time to arrange financing. Under the current terms, completion is required by the end of July 2023, however the goal is to substantially finish the terminal by fall 2022 when Allure of the Seas is scheduled to begin homeporting. Under its extension, Royal Caribbean is off the hook for paying rent there until, latest, fall 2023.

Norwegian Prima will first arrive at Galveston in October 2022 on a 12-night voyage from New York that includes stops at Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao. It will sail two short Western Caribbean round-trips: a three-day cruise on Oct. 27 and a four-day cruise on Oct. 31.

Galveston seeks long-term strategy with Norwegian Cruise Line (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Thanks 1

My Galveston groups are all excited that a ncl ship is doing a ta from miami to Galveston with some new ship coming out. Word is ncl is looking for a space for regular cruises. I'd guess its dependent on terminal 3 getting done by rcl to have enough berths to fit ncl in too. Right now disney carnival and rcl share. 

The ta I think is scheduled oct 2022. The ncl prima.

Edited by firefly333

• 3 months later...

2021 Groundbreaking Event

The Port of Galveston hosted a groundbreaking ceremony on Saturday, Aug. 14, to mark the start of construction on Royal Caribbean International’s new $125 million cruise terminal, set to host the Allure of the Seas in late 2022.

Rodger Rees, Galveston Wharves port director and CEO, emphasized the economic growth opportunities that this terminal and its partners bring to the region as he addressed elected officials, port partners and community members.

“This new cruise terminal is a game-changer. This much-anticipated project will bring 800 new jobs, $1.4 billion in local business services revenue, $5.6 million in state and local taxes, and incredible business development opportunities," said Rees.

The Allure is set will sail seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries starting November 2022. 

Currently, the port is home to Royal Caribbean’s Independence and Liberty of the Seas, the largest cruise ships homeported in Galveston, the only port in Texas hosting cruise ships. 

“We are excited to celebrate this special milestone for our new state-of-the-art terminal, which will have a stunning, bold architectural design and technological advancements that will significantly enhance the experience for our guests,” said Joshua Carroll, vice president, Destination Development, Royal Caribbean. “We appreciate our strong relationship with the Port of Galveston and the local community, and look forward to the growth of cruise tourism in the region.”

The construction project will generate an estimated 400 Texas construction jobs and 400 local operations jobs, according to a statement. The161,300-square-foot terminal will cover 10 acres at Pier 10 in the easternmost area of the port on Galveston Island. The port will build and operate a 1,800-space cruise parking lot at the terminal.

The program also included remarks by industry leaders, U.S. Congressman Randy Weber, Texas Rep. Mayes Middleton, City of Galveston Mayor Dr. Craig Brown and City Councilmember Marie Robb.

The port signed a long-term contract with Royal Caribbean for the new facility in December 2019. Through the public-private partnership, Royal Caribbean will build the terminal, then lease it from the port for the initial term of 20 years with four 10-year options.

Galveston and Royal Caribbean Break Ground on New Cruise Terminal - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:20 PM, Biker19 said:

Somewhat related:

The Port of Galveston is talking with Norwegian Cruise Line about a memorandum of understanding for a long-term strategy beginning in November 2023.

NCL had a 'Texaribbean' cruise program from Houston years ago but the line has never sailed from Galveston. Norwegian Prima is now set to call in fall 2022 for three visits.

This led Seatrade Cruise News to earlier ask NCL President and CEO Harry Sommer if the line was looking at Galveston as a potential new homeport.

The Port of Galveston today indicated that's the case.

NCL has six 142,500gt Prima-class newbuilds coming between 2022 and 2027.

New Royal Caribbean terminal

The fall 2023 timing for the start of a possible agreement with NCL dovetails with the completion of Royal Caribbean Group's planned $100m cruise terminal to accommodate the first Oasis-class ship in Texas. 

Galveston recently granted Royal Caribbean an extension for that facility because the company needs more time to arrange financing. Under the current terms, completion is required by the end of July 2023, however the goal is to substantially finish the terminal by fall 2022 when Allure of the Seas is scheduled to begin homeporting. Under its extension, Royal Caribbean is off the hook for paying rent there until, latest, fall 2023.

Norwegian Prima will first arrive at Galveston in October 2022 on a 12-night voyage from New York that includes stops at Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao. It will sail two short Western Caribbean round-trips: a three-day cruise on Oct. 27 and a four-day cruise on Oct. 31.

Galveston seeks long-term strategy with Norwegian Cruise Line (seatrade-cruise.com)

Could one speculate that either Allure or an Oasis class ship will be in Galveston July 2023 based on this article?

4 minutes ago, FPP777 said:

Could one speculate that either Allure or an Oasis class ship will be in Galveston July 2023 based on this article?

Our TA from Barcelona in November 2022 is supposed to end in Galveston, which starts out their winter season from there.  Or so it still lists as such anyway.  😮 

Don't really care where the TA ends up.  My last cancelled TA was supposed to end in Miami.  Now it is Galveston.  Still have to fly back from somewhere.  😉 

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, FPP777 said:

Not sure that an O class ships over the summer makes sense for Galveston but we'll know for sure sometime after November when the itineraries start coming out.

15 hours ago, BLiles1961 said:

We've been looking at cruises out of Galveston for next November, and it does show that Allure will be the ship for seven night sailings. Woohoo!

We will be bring her in to you from Barcelona mid November next year.  Will wave to you as we come in.  😉 

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure that an O class ships over the summer makThey will es sense for Galveston but we'll know for sure sometime after November when the itineraries start coming out.

OH they will fill it, no doubt about that,  We will even welcome driving down from Arkansas now that we live there.  Now if the City of Galveston and the hotel industry can get their act together and do ONE night stays instead of forcing you to pay for a 2 night stay and waste money!  And get a couple car rental places in there so you can fly into Houston and rent a car to go over to island that will stay open on Sunday!  These issues have to be met to make it attractive.