Did Crown Princess violate federal law today?

LMaxwell

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

https://www.porteverglades.net/zaandam-update/

If you want to operate on facts and have an open mind, you may consider what Broward County is asking for.  It's not for me to convince you to spend money in Florida.  But I think for adults to have a discussion you have to do it on the basis of facts 

Why? Did they, or did they not, want to deny access to medical attention to passengers and crew? I can, and do make decisions on how to spend my money any way I want to.

• Like 2

To such huge corporations its only the matter of price. They got enough money to get away with anything. They understand the consequencies, the only exactly the results of their actions.. and they still commit them cause they simply got enough money to pay all the corresponding fines if they ever occur. Also being a huge tax payer, noone in the government is really intrested in closing their office. 
Simple things.. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Greater concern are the 800 passengers off Grand Princess who stated that would NOT subject themselves to testing and left the ship.  Those who were tested had a ten percent infection rate.  So 80 people went to the 4-winds to infect those en route home, family and friends once home.  Very selfish and very disconcerting that any "cruiser" would act in such a despicable way.

They were all quarantined for 14 days AFTER disembarking the ship. With no symptoms after a 14 day quarantine, tests are not necessary. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

Everyone knew (anyway it was all over internet) that Coral had sick passengers

Screenshot_20200401-021453_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d417e511cb01b0007d6b274a9c0f8eb4.jpg

If it was a sick Crown crew member then where should they have been medevac from ? 

Had you clicked on the article rather than simply reading the headline and assuming, you'd have found that the four dead are on Zaandam, and the article makes NO mention of illnesses onboard Coral Princess.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

If HAL or Princess wants to take their operations elsewhere good luck; they are locked into multi-year contracts with the Port and what alternative ports are they going to base out of to attract US customers to cruise in the Caribbean?  

Port Canaveral, Miami, Tampa...

And why would Ft. Lauderdale want them if they're so despicable anyway? 

53 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes they do.  Celebrity did not announce any sick people onboard when porting; but passengers and crew were medevac out with the passenger being confirmed COVID 19.  A family member of the passenger contacted the news and told them that Celebrity had announced NO SICK onboard and let everyone debark normally.  It was then local news agencies that broached the subject and Celebrity is refusing to comment

No, they don't.  Show me anywhere where it says that the ENOA stated no illnesses, and what notification was given to "public health officials" (whether fed, state, or local) as to the nature of the ill passenger, and whether or not the statement that the ship was "cleared" by these officials was based on a false statement or document.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

The cause is not known at the moment, but either way the ship did not follow protocol and violated Federal Law.  

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/62863/MSIB 20-001 COVID-19 Cruiseship Medical Capabilities_Signed.29Mar20.pdf

There is the public memo published by the Coast Guard 

And this linked document shows that the ship did not make an accurate ENOA, or violated the law in any way?  Would still like to see a statement from the USCG, not an elected politician before I make a conclusion.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Trump should send these ships to a naval base and prepare in advance. The federal government can take control of the port. 

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/feds-could-force-port-everglades-to-accept-cruise-ship-with-sick-passengers-experts/2213693/

The federal government already has control of the port.  If the USCG COTP says the port is closed, or the USPH/CBP says the ship is to be quarantined, then that trumps all state control.  If, however, the federal government says that the ship will enter under quarantine, and ill people will be evacuated, then it is up to them to determine the procedures and protocols to be followed.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

To such huge corporations its only the matter of price. They got enough money to get away with anything. They understand the consequencies, the only exactly the results of their actions.. and they still commit them cause they simply got enough money to pay all the corresponding fines if they ever occur. Also being a huge tax payer, noone in the government is really intrested in closing their office. 
Simple things.. 

Before condemning someone for something, usually best to hear both sides, especially if the only thing presented is only part of one side (i.e. no corroboration from USCG).

• Like 6

Agree. I personally don't think any cruise line will knowingly would jeopardize anyone's health , lie or mislead anyone. They are in the business of having people enjoy life and happiness. I would think they are doing everything possible that they can in accordance with all laws. Whether they are maritime or any government.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And this linked document shows that the ship did not make an accurate ENOA, or violated the law in any way?  Would still like to see a statement from the USCG, not an elected politician before I make a conclusion.

The Broward Commissioners meeting from yesterday is public record and available.  Admiral Burke was caught flatfooted by this by the Port Director who also spoke on behalf of the CDC and USCG. I will look for the video link for you so you may watch for yourself. 

So getting back to the original question I posed in the topic:  Did Princess violate Federal Law by failing to notify these entities of its intentions to medevac crew off the ship? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

11 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The Broward Commissioners meeting from yesterday is public record and available.  Admiral Burke was caught flatfooted by this by the Port Director who also spoke on behalf of the CDC and USCG. I will look for the video link for you so you may watch for yourself. 

So getting back to the original question I posed in the topic:  Did Princess violate Federal Law by failing to notify these entities of its intentions to medevac crew off the ship? 

Don't doubt that the meeting is public record, but I would still like to hear from the USCG directly, not someone who is "speaking for them".  Sorry, video does not work on our limited bandwidth on the ship.  Which Admiral Burke are you referring to?

So, again, in absence of a copy of the ENOA, or a statement from the USCG COTP Miami, I will hold on whether or not they violated any law.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Don't doubt that the meeting is public record, but I would still like to hear from the USCG directly, not someone who is "speaking for them".  Sorry, video does not work on our limited bandwidth on the ship.  Which Admiral Burke are you referring to?

So, again, in absence of a copy of the ENOA, or a statement from the USCG COTP Miami, I will hold on whether or not they violated any law.

Fair enough; if a transcript become available I will provide to you. 

33 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, he is a representative for Carnival Corporation now 

Ah, that Admiral.  Then I can see why he would be "caught flatfooted" by an accusation from the Port Director.  Perhaps because it isn't correct.

• Like 3

Customs & Border Protection has the final say as to who, what and when anyone or anything enters the U.S. The USCG provides collected information to CBP.

There are provisions for compassionate situations but the Governor has ultimate say over the port operations during a State of Emergency!

Edited by weberman

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Fair enough; if a transcript become available I will provide to you. 

I listened to just about all of it and did not hear Admiral Burke speak. Can you give me the time stamp to be able to find it. The 7thy Coast Guard District Commander gave the port order not to let the ships into US watters.

Also now the sheriff's office has authority.

5 minutes ago, weberman said:

Customs & Border Protection has the final say as to who, what and when anyone or anything enters the U.S. The USCG provides collected information to CBP.

There are provisions for compassionate situations but the Governor has ultimate say over the port operations during a State of Emergency!

That is correct. I might me mistaken but did he not say those ships are not allowed to dock in Florida. That is inhuman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CBP has jurisdiction over who lands in the US.  The Governor of a state can determine whether or not a dock or terminal, on land, can be used to embark/disembark people.  Congress has granted jurisdiction over all navigable waters in the US to the USCG, so the USCG COTP has the final say as to whether a ship can enter a port or not.  Whether that ship is granted clearance to use a dock or not, is up to the local port authority, under the Governor.  As long as the ship is in the water, it is under USCG jurisdiction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I listened to just about all of it and did not hear Admiral Burke speak. Can you give me the time stamp to be able to find it. The 7thy Coast Guard District Commander gave the port order not to let the ships into US watters.

Also now the sheriff's office has authority.

I listened to the whole meeting and Burke spoke a couple of times.  The video is several hours long and you would have to listen to the whole thing again or fast forward a couple of minutes at a time to find his answers.  He was indeed caught off guard regarding the Crown, stated that he was there to provide the truth but he could only provide what "his" people had told him.  A county commissioner had the Pres. of Broward Health on the phone and refuted what Burke had been told.  So one or the other was wrong.

However I do have a PDF of the 7th District Commander order regarding ships in S. Florida.  I have attached it.

Coast Guard.pdf

Edited by bluesea321
  • Thanks 1