What Needs To Happen For Me To Regain Confidence In Cruising-A Comprehensive Approach

Cruiseathoning

My family loves the Princess brand and we look forward to the day we can sail again.  Unfortunately, I think we will have to see some significant progress with the current epidemic, before the majority of people feel comfortable cruising again. It will be a slow process, but I am confident that day will come again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

There is a CC member by the username of Pescado Amarillo who has spent the last 10 winters on Princess ships so she obviously loves cruising and below is what she posted on a similar thread.  I agree with her (except the last point perhaps).

I will cruise on Princess again, if all of the criteria below occur:

• a COVID-19 vaccine is developed;
  • the stock market recovers somewhat;
  • Princess survives this;
  • Princess returns to me all the cash (not FCC) they owe me; and
  • Princess keeps some non-Royal Class ships in its fleet. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2741398-will-you-book-another-cruise-on-princess/page/8/

Pretty much me in a nutshell except for that last item. 

On the refund front - I called Princess yesterday because we had cancelled a cruise for November 2020. We had a $520 deposit on it. We cancelled it 2 weeks ago and had yet to see any money from it. I was told 60 days but when I noted that I was originally told 5-7 days, she put me on hold and came back to tell me she pushed it through and I will have it in a few days and not 60. 

The supposed reason for the 60 day refund is because they have so many refunds to go through which is complete BS of course. When I cancel a cruise and am owed a refund, they press a button and a computer sends the refund. This isn't Charles Dickens and 1855. They dont have a group of people going through the refunds one at a time. Quite obviously they've decided to sit on the money for 60 days. I suppose they want to hang on to the cash for as long as they can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

ECCruise--- we were supposed to be arriving in NC. next week to take delivery of an RV and put it on site in a Sylva RV park--The RV park and all the hotels are closed so we can't travel and Southwest will not refund our money for the flight. Such ethical people!!!

Maureen.

Southwest's policy is to allow you to use the cancelled fare on a future flight within twelve months of the original booking. No, they won't refund but you don't lose the money (unless you decide not to fly with them again).

Might your plans be doable later?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Southwest's policy is to allow you to use the cancelled fare on a future flight within twelve months of the original booking. No, they won't refund but you don't lose the money (unless you decide not to fly with them again).

Might your plans be doable later?

No. We will be driving up in the summer. I will try and see if they will let us use the money for our daughter instead. The point is that if state law says do not come and closes the state for hotels and most other businesses then the airline should not keep my money. 

2 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

No. We will be driving up in the summer. I will try and see if they will let us use the money for our daughter instead. The point is that if state law says do not come and closes the state for hotels and most other businesses then the airline should not keep my money. 

Hopefully they will let you do that because of circumstances regarding the virus and the state laws with which you're dealing. Their current policy is to hold the money for whomever originally purchased the fare - non-transferable. Good luck with all of this mess!

One thing I'd like to see changed is how the silverware is done in the main dining room. When we first started cruising it was on Princess and we were disgusted to see the handling of the silverware. They lay it out on the table like you are dining with the Queen of England. Then after each course they pick up the unused silverware and put it back in the box to put out for someone else. I started picking up my unused and putting it on the plate. I also talked to them about this. Eventually we only used the buffet where the silverware was wrapped in napkins. I think this may be the reason the Princess cruises have been so afflicted by this virus. I would see people at other tables handle their silverware and put it back in place like it was unused. Also talking and coughing all over the silverware. Then the crew would remove it if they thought it was unused and put it back in the clean box.

That being said we haven't cruised much in the last 10 years so maybe they had changed this process. But if not then it has to change.

Regarding washing hands before entering buffet.  What about the people who wash their hands, but then eat and lick their fingers while still getting food in the buffet?  It is useless to wash your hands and then lick your fingers between eating fries!!  All of their germs are on the next serving utensil waiting to attach to the next person's hands.   

So, saying that, all buffets, every item needs to be served by staff, because some people just don't get it. 

Once I saw a 5 year old rubbing a serving spoon thur his hair, over and over.  Dad said no and put it back into the rice!!  I got the spoon and told the staff, but, what if I hadn't?   

Princess sets out cups and other items in the buffet at breakfast.  This needs to stop.  If it looks like the cup is unused, they leave it for the next person.  It is left there for people to sneeze on, touch, etc.  

Lots of things to improve.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

I will cruise on Princess again, if all of the criteria below occur:

• a COVID-19 vaccine is developed;
  • the stock market recovers somewhat;
  • Princess survives this;
  • Princess returns to me all the cash (not FCC) they owe me; and
  • Princess keeps some non-Royal Class ships in its fleet. 

I know there are some posters who will add: reimbursement for the coffee cards they hold

that no longer have value.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

One simple thing that needs to change is the ridiculously inadequate "Health form" that we all fill out when we check in. No one checks these forms and what is the point? No one is going to risk being turned away so they lie about their coughing/diarrhea etc!  I have always thought this form was a joke.

Every one should be checked with the thermometer before being allowed into the check in line. Not just during this crisis but always.

Secondly, on board EVERYONE must wash their hands before entering the buffet or any other restaurant. Mandatory, not just expecting people to do the right thing. An officer should be stationed at every doorway to enforce it. The crew member with the sanitizer should not have to deal with uncooperative cruisers.

These two improvements will prevent a lot of the sickness on board cruise ships.

Maureen.

We haven't seen the health forms used for a few years prior to our cruise in February this year.

On the ships I have been on n the last couple of years, there has been a hand-washing station at the entry to the buffet with a staff member making sure everyone used it. If someone started to walk by, they would politely refer them to the sinks. It would probably be more difficult to have hand-washing stations at the entry to the dining rooms.

59 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I know there are some posters who will add: reimbursement for the coffee cards they hold

that no longer have value.

Coffee 'cards' are no longer a card but added to your on-board folio. It can only be used on the cruise on which it is purchased.  

2 hours ago, Level six said:

Regarding washing hands before entering buffet.  What about the people who wash their hands, but then eat and lick their fingers while still getting food in the buffet?  It is useless to wash your hands and then lick your fingers between eating fries!!  All of their germs are on the next serving utensil waiting to attach to the next person's hands.   

So, saying that, all buffets, every item needs to be served by staff, because some people just don't get it. 

Once I saw a 5 year old rubbing a serving spoon thur his hair, over and over.  Dad said no and put it back into the rice!!  I got the spoon and told the staff, but, what if I hadn't?   

Princess sets out cups and other items in the buffet at breakfast.  This needs to stop.  If it looks like the cup is unused, they leave it for the next person.  It is left there for people to sneeze on, touch, etc.  

Yuk. I have never seen anyone eat and lick their fingers while in the buffet queue. The incident with the 5-year-old and the spoon required the father to speak to a staff member and have the spoon replaced. He is the one at fault. I haven't seen cups or other items set out on the tables in the buffet. Maybe that is done on some ships, but not on any I have been on.🙂

This is what I would like to see before I return to cruising:

1. A guarantee that if the cruise ends in a port different than the one that it was planned to end at the cruise line would, at its expense, get you to the planned port, or return you to your home of record. This would be for any reason, instead of just the mechanical failure as it is now.

2. Would guarantee the maximum time (10 business days) for processing a refund in case of a cancellation by either party (cancellation terms would apply).

3. Develop a plan for dealing with a URI outbreak, similar to the plans they have developed for dealing with Noro.

4. Similar to Noro treat URI infections on board at cruise line expense

5. Include medical checks as part of boarding process, in addition to questionnaire, including temperature checks as well as train processing staff to observe and identify anyone that seems unwell (coughing, sneezing, etc.) to identify for discussion with medical staff prior to boarding.

6. Require appropriate vaccinations prior to boarding depending upon area and season.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 3

They really don't have to do anything.  I have a cruise planned in October and if it goes, I'll go.  I'm actively booking cruises right now when I see a deal I like.  As a Carnival and Royal share holder, the more they have on the books, the better.

• Like 2

I can appreciate the many valuable improvement suggestions listed here (especially given the current circumstances)....but if they were all implemented, the substantial cost and inconvenience would make cruising a much more challenging experience. I think doing so would make the much hoped for cruising recovery boom, a likely bust.

The cruise lines suddenly have way, way too many ships. Expect a lot will head to the scrappers. Floating hotels would be a nice idea in a normal economy, but we probably won't see that again for years - if even then. As it is, hotel chains can't close down their flagship buildings fast enough. 

You're seeing serious investment houses and Fed Reserve people talking about unemployment north of 30 percent. That's 5 percent higher than during the Great Depression.

Even if the coronavirus magically disappeared in June (and no, there's no rational & grounded reason to believe that would happen) ... the psychological and financial damage is being done to the consumer right now. The mass market that sustained an endless fleet of more and bigger ships is collapsing around us. I fear even with bridge loans and other aid, a frightening number of shutdown small businesses won't be coming back.

So my projection: At least one if not two of the major cruise lines goes under. Altogether under. The surviving line(s) are still financially crippled and will have no choice but to drive up ticket prices; they'll be sacrificing still more volume, but that's unavoidable. A whole bunch of ships become next year's Pepsi cans, and new builds can just sit in the yards for a few years.  Cruising largely returns to being a rich person's indulgence (the top-tier lines will survive this just fine.) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The cruise lines suddenly have way, way too many ships...

Excellent post.

The bubble of the mainstream cruise industry's recent 'arms race' has burst due to the perfect viral storm exposing its vulnerabilities.

Many have still failed to come to grips with this reality.

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Coffee 'cards' are no longer a card but added to your on-board folio. It can only be used on the cruise on which it is purchased.  

The cards that people here cry about are the paper cards that preceeded the more automated system.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I realize that, but I have recently read, and seen, that old unused coffee cards are no longer honoured.

Exactly what people are crying about.

They had unused punches on one or more cards, princess discontinued the cards, and they

were unable to collect their drinks.

Seems trival to me, but some posters here were really bitter about it.

Edited by Roberto256

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We haven't seen the health forms used for a few years prior to our cruise in February this year.

On the ships I have been on n the last couple of years, there has been a hand-washing station at the entry to the buffet with a staff member making sure everyone used it. If someone started to walk by, they would politely refer them to the sinks. It would probably be more difficult to have hand-washing stations at the entry to the dining rooms.

Which cruise lines have you been using? We have never been on a cruise without the health question form! Our last cruise was Celebrity in October.

Maureen.

On 4/1/2020 at 12:00 PM, Cruiseathoning said:

Sanitation should be improved particularly in crew areas.

Can you give specifics of poor sanitation in crew areas?  Most I've been in, and I did crew cabin inspections monthly, were spotless, and better kept than many pax cabins.

The hotel model allows passengers to embark, drive out a few miles, see a pretty view, enjoy the entertainment, food, and camaraderie and then leave according to more personalized schedule.

The ship would have to leave the 12 mile limit.  This would essentially be a "cruise to nowhere", and would require either US crew or foreign crew who have the more difficult to obtain, and more costly US work visa, rather than their crew visa.

If a ship does not leave port, or at least american waters, then it is my understanding that the passenger has not left the country itself and thus has not given up an automatic right to re-enter the port. 

Nope, not correct.  Every ship, every time it enters a port, must make a declaration to the USCG (or whatever other national agency is involved in the port nation) of the health of passengers and crew.  This applies to all ships, even US flag ships, with US crews, on strictly domestic voyages.  If there is notification of infectious disease on the vessel, then the USCG can quarantine the ship, and not allow anyone to get on or off, and can deny docking at that port.  This is universal for all nations, and is the origin of "quarantine", the practice of sequestering a ship and crew (or plague victims outside the city) for "40 days" (quaranta giorni in Italian).

"Mini hospitals" onboard may be great, but unless the staff routinely deal with the kinds of problems that you are foreseeing with viral outbreaks, then even with all the whiz-bang equipment in the world, they won't be optimal at handling things.

I stand by my continued defense of cruise ship HVAC, and would like to see evidence where it has been shown to promote any diseases onboard.

And, honestly, trying to get all the signatory nations of the IMO to agree to set up a new agency to manage your "repatriation" fund, or even to agree that mandatory repatriation is required will be many years down the road, if at all.  Currently, they can't agree whether used cooking oil from a deep fryer (MARPOL Annex V, garbage) can be mixed with used engine oil (MARPOL Annex I, oily waste), in a long running debate, so less important (sarcasm) decisions like epidemiology responses will take even longer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Level six said:

I saw the same practices on the Sky in February and complained to the buffet supervisor. He said it was company policy to preset the tables because it provides faster service.  I was shamed here on CC for being anti-Princess.

How's that policy working for you, Princess?  Is it still OK to leave unused drinkware on the tables and wipe the table off with a used cloth napkin?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

Which cruise lines have you been using? We have never been on a cruise without the health question form! Our last cruise was Celebrity in October.

Maureen.

Used Royal, Celebrity, Princess and Holland recently without questionaires.  The questionnaires were popular until about 3 years ago, then they vanished, only to resurface recently.  Did not have them on our last Celebrity cruise, last June.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1