Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

So let me tell you about pandemic life in Georgia.  In 2 days we have received 42 (no exaggeration) phone calls from voter action and political pacts.  I apologize to anyone who is truly vested in the outcome of the elections, but I am so sick of this and couldn't care less who wins anymore.  Best part, I voted by mail 2 days ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Mike had to fly to Port-au-Prince yesterday. While they were loading the plane the fork lift driver hit the antenna and scrapped plane which is carbon fiber. $$$$$  Maybe they need to have recurrent training every year like the pilots do. 😁

Okay, that is a new one.  I often think (like anyone who flies a lot), I have seen it all.  But then, fork lift driver tears off a part of the plane.  Reminds me of when we had 60 minute delay on Delta because a bee got on the plane.  They were afraid someone would get stung, so we waited until they could hunt it down and swat it. 

• Haha 1

Many, many years ago (about 1970), I was lucky enough to have saved the money needed to take a school trip to Europe.  We spent 3 weeks there, ending up in London.  When we left to fly home we were on a 747.  They were new and not yet common.  The caterer had forgotten something and opened a door to sneak it in.  Unfortunately, the door was an escape with the big orange slide which inflated.  We waited 4 hours for a replacement slide.  Stuck in narrow economy seats.  Of course at 16 it was an adventure.  So, I agree, anything can happen to a plane.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Needless to say they were delayed about 2 hours since they had to get another plane and reboard the passengers.

It happened a few times when I worked at Heathrow, usually the catering or baggage trucks. As we were an outstation  it would usually end up rebooking everyone on other flights 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Yeah, it's a nice perk of living in the area...along with what used to be a cruise port.  😪

I still miss the Shuttle launches though...and always the big sonic boom when that came home!  

Was a few hits and misses for Musk for awhile on the landing on the barge at sea at first...but damn...after he got is act together...wow.   They make it look easy.  Tiny little barge bouncing around in the middle of the ocean...and they pin point land that booster...upright in the bullseye.  Amazing!!  

This was an early morning launch we watched staying at the beach one day, the rocket pushing an Aura in the dawning light, and the red dot was the booster coming down to land on the barge.  Was sooo cool!

20200613_052808.jpg

This was landing number 70 overall and the 5th for this booster. Crazy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I make them for my daughter, she loves all things lemony.  Notice the empty space on top left, it was the only one she let me eat!!!

Limoncello 🍋

Laura makes a lemon ricotta cookie that is pure awesomeness 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Mike had to fly to Port-au-Prince yesterday. While they were loading the plane the fork lift driver hit the antenna and scrapped plane which is carbon fiber. $$$$$  Maybe they need to have recurrent training every year like the pilots do. 😁

20201218_131321.jpg

20201218_131324.jpg

20201218_131334.jpg

20201218_131338.jpg

Dreamliner?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Would she share the recipe?  My kid loves anything lemony,I love ricotta.

Marietta, 

I'm sure John will post theirs.  

Typed this up from my moms recipes

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks (1 cup) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened

425 grams sugar (about 2 cups)

1 ¾ cups ricotta cheese (15 ounces), preferably fresh

Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon

4 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 large eggs

480 grams all-purpose flour (about 4 cups)

10 grams baking soda (2 teaspoons)

4 grams fine sea salt (about 3/4 teaspoon)

450 grams confectioners’ sugar (about 4 cups)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

¼ cup to 1/2 cup milk, as needed

Cream 2 sticks butter with sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add ricotta, lemon zest and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and beat well. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in flour, baking soda and salt. Cover dough and chill for at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape tbs of dough into balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets (lined) and bake until pale golden on the bottom, about 15 minutes.

Melt remaining tablespoon butter. Whisk confectioners sugar, then whisk in melted butter, lemon juice, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and enough milk to make a spreadable icing (add a little at a time). Spread icing on cooled cookies, then let set for at least 20 minutes before serving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Marietta, 

I'm sure John will post theirs.  

Typed this up from my moms recipes

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks (1 cup) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened

425 grams sugar (about 2 cups)

1 ¾ cups ricotta cheese (15 ounces), preferably fresh

Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon

4 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 large eggs

480 grams all-purpose flour (about 4 cups)

10 grams baking soda (2 teaspoons)

4 grams fine sea salt (about 3/4 teaspoon)

450 grams confectioners’ sugar (about 4 cups)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

¼ cup to 1/2 cup milk, as needed

Cream 2 sticks butter with sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add ricotta, lemon zest and 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and beat well. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in flour, baking soda and salt. Cover dough and chill for at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape tbs of dough into balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets (lined) and bake until pale golden on the bottom, about 15 minutes.

Melt remaining tablespoon butter. Whisk confectioners sugar, then whisk in melted butter, lemon juice, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and enough milk to make a spreadable icing (add a little at a time). Spread icing on cooled cookies, then let set for at least 20 minutes before serving.

Very similar. I need to work Limoncello in, though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Very similar. I need to work Limoncello in, though

Of course.  That could be your signature cookie.  I'm sure there is a place you can order a custom cookie cutter shaped like Bella.  Then you could sell them to all of us. I will take a dozen.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Thank you for sharing.

I have not made these in 3 or 4 years.  When I pulled it up, I was thinking about how my mother measured everything with her hands.  When she gave me the recipe, we made a batch and I had to convert everything to a measure.  I don't know if she owned a measuring cup or spoon.  She is in a nursing home now, and it was a nice little memory.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Domino D said:

I have not made these in 3 or 4 years.  When I pulled it up, I was thinking about how my mother measured everything with her hands.  When she gave me the recipe, we made a batch and I had to convert everything to a measure.  I don't know if she owned a measuring cup or spoon.  She is in a nursing home now, and it was a nice little memory.  

Those are the best recipes.  I tend to make my mother's recipes at holiday time, many of which came from her mother who used her hands also.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Those are the best recipes.  I tend to make my mother's recipes at holiday time, many of which came from her mother who used her hands also.

It is really funny to see someone cook like that, and yet things always come out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Limoncello 🍋

Laura makes a lemon ricotta cookie that is pure awesomeness 

We had breakfast at a restaurant in Napa in August 2018, and I have been making it ever since.  I had lemon ricotta pancakes and properly made they are to die for.  

Since K is wheat allergic, I have to make them with King Arthur’s Gluten Free flour.. Not quite as good, but still pretty tasty.

jc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ATG said:

Many, many years ago (about 1970), I was lucky enough to have saved the money needed to take a school trip to Europe.  We spent 3 weeks there, ending up in London.  When we left to fly home we were on a 747.  They were new and not yet common.  The caterer had forgotten something and opened a door to sneak it in.  Unfortunately, the door was an escape with the big orange slide which inflated.  We waited 4 hours for a replacement slide.  Stuck in narrow economy seats.  Of course at 16 it was an adventure.  So, I agree, anything can happen to a plane.

I think he said it was baggage they were loading. The 787's have only been in Miami I think for about 6 weeks (at least for AA) so the driver obviously misjudged the distance. 😁

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Dreamliner?

Yes, I think it's only his 5th or 6th time to fly one. He was on the 767's. He normally flies the South American routes so I thought it was odd he flew to Haiti, but there is very little flying compared to pre-covid. 🛩

• Like 1