Drydock - ZAANDAM

47 minutes ago, GeriatricNurse said:

Since the ZAANDAM is scheduled for Drydock in Freeport, Bahamas, April 7 to 20, 2020, will it proceed or be canceled/rescheduled?

I would think it unlikely to proceed, as all passengers would need to be disembarked quite soon to get to Bahamas.  If they can transfer those quarantined onboard to another ship and sanitize the ship completely by 6th April, then it is possible.  (I think the current plan is that those who are 'unwell' are being kept onboard, but that may have changed!).

Zaandam was due to receive 'Billboard onBoard', 'Lincoln Center Stage' and 'Fuji Wonder Photo Shop' during this dry dock.

Amsterdam is due to dry dock on 12th May but she is still at sea and only due into Durban, South Africa on 5th April, so she will not be able to take Zaandam's spot.

Rotterdam is due to Dry Dock in December and possibly they will put Rotterdam into Dry Dock on April 7th (she was also due to receive 'Billboard on Board' in her December dry dock), and move Zaandam's dry dock out to December.

Are the Dry Docks open and working?  Would the Bahamanian authorities allow ships to dock?

Just a few random thoughts this morning! 

• Like 1

I think a more pressing question would be if CCL wants to spend the CapEx for the work at this time. Now if its inspection time then the drydocks will have to proceed, but they might not do the refurb work. 

6 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I think a more pressing question would be if CCL wants to spend the CapEx for the work at this time. Now if its inspection time then the drydocks will have to proceed, but they might not do the refurb work. 

There was some discussion of that with reference to the Crystal Symphony and apparently the materials must be purchased and payment made in advance so I would assume the work would be done.

Roy

19 hours ago, drowelf said:

CCL has already said that it wants to reduce Capital Expenditures.  Does a drydock or wetdock qualify under the definition of a Capital Expenditure?

19 hours ago, rafinmd said:

There was some discussion of that with reference to the Crystal Symphony and apparently the materials must be purchased and payment made in advance so I would assume the work would be done.

Roy

That's what I have learned as well.  Orders made many months in advance with at least a down payment for those materials made.  

It will be interesting to see what develops with regard to these drydocks.

My two cents is that the drydock will continue as planned b/c it has been paid for and custom materials there.

Pure speculation here.....but it would not surprise me if Zaandam is deployed to Europe some time after drydock. I think HAL has given up on the first half of the Europe season (May-July) but they may think that they be able to salvage some of the Aug.-Oct. sailings and a ship fresh out of drydock, completely scrubbed down might be the lure

Again....I have no inside information, and this is just a hunch.