Norwegian does it again

Nametag

Norwegian does it again, i had a cruise on the Norwegian  Epic that was supposed to be out from April  4th until April 11th.  I would like to have gotten a full refund, but they say i fall/fell under their peice of mind policy, which means only FCC.  For cruises as of April 12th and on they are giving full refund.  What is wrong with an across the board policy.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Nametag said:

Norwegian does it again, i had a cruise on the Norwegian  Epic that was supposed to be out from April  4th until April 11th.  I would like to have gotten a full refund, but they say i fall/fell under their peice of mind policy, which means only FCC.  For cruises as of April 12th and on they are giving full refund.  What is wrong with an across the board policy.

Did you cancel the trip, or did they cancel it on you?

NCL is giving the refund option to all cruises they cancelled after March 13th so if they cancelled your cruise you will be entitled to a refund.  They will convert it to FCC before the refund though.  Peace of Mind is for people who cancelled before NCL did.  If you cancelled the cruise, you will get a FCC.

4 hours ago, Nametag said:

Norwegian does it again, i had a cruise on the Norwegian  Epic that was supposed to be out from April  4th until April 11th.  I would like to have gotten a full refund, but they say i fall/fell under their piece of mind policy, which means only FCC.  For cruises as of April 12th and on they are giving full refund.  What is wrong with an across the board policy.

If you unilaterally cancelled the cruise yourself (which it sound like you did), you get the FCC under the Piece of Mind.

If you allowed NCL to cancel the cruise, you would have got an email with a link to request a cash refund of 100%. Most people waited for NCL to cancel the cruise so they had the option of a cash refund. 

Guests who were booked on suspended cruises will automatically receive a 125% or 150% refund of their cruise fare in the form of a Future Cruise Credit which can be applied towards any Norwegian Cruise Line voyage through December 31, 2022. Future Cruise Credits will be applied to your account by April 1, 2020.

EMBARKATION DATES
FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT
March 13 to March 17, 2020 150% of cruise fare
March 18 to May 10, 2020 125% of cruise fare

We’re also giving an additional 20% discount when you book by April 14, 2020 using your Future Cruise Credit on cruises embarking July 1, 2020 - December 31, 2022! The discount will be automatically applied when you make your reservation, including when you book online.

Guests who prefer to not take advantage of a future cruise credit can elect to receive a lesser refund to the original form of payment 90 days after submitting the Refund Form below. Refund requests must be submitted by April 27, 2020 for all suspended sailings.

Please note that if your suspended sailing was scheduled to embark between April 12 - May 10, 2020, you will be able to request your refund through this form starting April 13, 2020.

Edited by BirdTravels

Not sure how the first round of cancellation emails went but I was in the second round, 4/19 departure.

Nowhere in the email I got is the word Refund mentioned. Just FCC has automatically been applied to my account. If you only went off what Norwegian sent you would have no idea there is a process for getting an actual refund.

I cancelled right before they cancelled and rebooked the same day, using their PeaceofMind ( been using the same NCL rep for 5yrs ). Got 125% credit + some kind of new booking discount ( maybe total 30% off new cruise ) then he found an additional $1000 off.

Ended up paying $500 more for a longer cruise ( 2 xtra days )/ 1 more island / and all perks.

If you don't ask - you don't get

Sorry you feel this way.  It's an unprecented time we're living in right now.  NCL did nothing wrong; had you waited and allowed NCL to cancel the cruise, you would qualify for a cash/CC refund. I cancelled my cruise as well, however, I had 3 other cruises already booked and, with the FCC I rec'd I'm quite happy with the outcome of my arrangement with NCL.  

It's really up to you how you deal with this, stay angry and upset or.... look for a cruise you could take to use the FCC you've been given.  

Cheers, feel better 🥂

• Like 1

To the OP,  I was in a similar situation.  I cancelled under POM before they cancelled the cruise we were to go on.   Had I waited, the cruise was cancelled a couple of days later and passengers were offered FCC at 125% or an actual refund.  I received FCC at 100%.  But I also made a decision at the time with the information I had.  

Let's hope you (and I) get to use the FCC.  Will NCL file for chapter 11 and we're SOL?  Maybe but we can't worry about it.  If we lose the FCC, it's a lost vacation which will totally suck (I get it, I will stand to lose quite a bit), but hopefully that is the worst possible outcome from this for me and my family.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Near Philly said:

Not sure how the first round of cancellation emails went but I was in the second round, 4/19 departure.

Nowhere in the email I got is the word Refund mentioned. Just FCC has automatically been applied to my account. If you only went off what Norwegian sent you would have no idea there is a process for getting an actual refund.

Second round of cancellations sent out an email with a generic letter with details of the second round of cruise cancellations. Followed a week later by an email your specific FCC deal (and specific dollar amounts). The generic letter (dated and sent on 3/30/20) with the link to the cash refund looked like:

image.thumb.png.fe68a22cb65f6974fc30712c5fb6dde8.png

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, Near Philly said:

Exactly.  Another example of NCL's slimy, unethical business practices.

For your convenience of course....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Love my butler said:

The NCL water carriers on this board is what I don't understand. What do they get out of it?  I am so happy I'm getting a do over and hopefully my money back.

• Like 2

I guess we all have different opinions and maybe I should not have even entered into this topic , however, when my wife& I decided to cancel, we called our NCL guy and stated " guess you know why I'm calling ". It was March 12th. I believe the official came out March 13th. On March 12th , I rebooked . My original cruise was for March 26th.

Please see my post #8. Never had a problem with my NCL rep in transferring cruises plus finding some additional discounts floating around.

Just hope we ALL stay well to enjoy our next cruises....

18 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Instructions for a cash refund were in the letter sent to people.... if they took time to read the letter.... See letter above.... nothing slimy or unethical

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Instructions for a cash refund were in the letter sent to people.... if they took time to read the letter.... See letter above.... nothing slimy or unethical

You mean the letter sent to some people.  Very slimy, very unethical.

16 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

What do you mean sent to "some" people?  Maybe I'm losing the plot here, but I don't understand what you mean.

37 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

It was sent to the people that qualified, meaning those that waited until NCL cancelled their cruise.  As has been noted several times - the people that cancelled themselves before NCL pulled the plug qualify for the cancellation offer NCL had on the table at the time.

It's the exact same argument when it comes to fare changes - if the changes went in the opposite direction and favored NCL would you expect NCL to go and pull back the more customer-friendly offer from those it had been offered to?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hallux said:

It was sent to the people that qualified, meaning those that waited until NCL cancelled their cruise.  As has been noted several times - the people that cancelled themselves before NCL pulled the plug qualify for the cancellation offer NCL had on the table at the time.

It's the exact same argument when it comes to fare changes - if the changes went in the opposite direction and favored NCL would you expect NCL to go and pull back the more customer-friendly offer from those it had been offered to?

If only it was that easy.

Edited by Love my butler

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This is my letter in full. The only change I made was to block my reservation number. No mention of refund. That's slimy and unethical. And I believe that to be true of anyone that carries their water.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. Due to current challenges as a result of COVID-19, your cruise (reservation ID xxxxxxxxxxxx) has been cancelled.

We appreciate your understanding and loyalty to Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming you on board very soon.

A future cruise credit in the amount of USD 2,220.93 has been issued to your account. To reflect our appreciation for your business, we will also provide you a BONUS credit of 25% in the amount of USD 555.23. If you purchased our Essentials, Book Safe Standard or Platinum travel protection plan you will receive an additional future cruise credit, worth the value of your travel protection plan.

These future credits are valid for one year from the issue date and applicable to all published sailings through December 31, 2022.

When you are ready to book your next cruise, please contact Personal Cruise Consultant directly or 1-866-882-0074.

As a special thank you for choosing Norwegian, and for a limited time only, we are pleased to offer you an additional 20% DISCOUNT on any sailing from July 1, 2020 through December 31, 2022 when you book by April 14th, 2020.

The future cruise credit, 25% BONUS and 20% DISCOUNT are combinable on our current Free For All promotion http://www.ncl.com/.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next Norwegian cruise.

Sincerely,
Norwegian Cruise Line

• Like 1

I got that same mail too, in there theres no mention of it, because that mail is only to tell you that the FCC has been added to your account and how to use it and its benefits.

Previously, you got another mail saying all cruises were cancelled up to May 11, thats where it tells you about the refund, how to do it and gives you the link.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Waquoit said:

This is my letter in full. The only change I made was to block my reservation number. No mention of refund. That's slimy and unethical. And I believe that to be true of anyone that carries their water.

#onlytellinghalfthestory

My mom received her email about the health waiver and cancellation policy I did not. I’m assuming it’s an age thing and they already determined my dad won’t be allowed on. Not sure how they can determine that but that’s my theory. It’s easy to search and find emails and I definitely did not receive anything other than an upgrade bid email or come sail NCL.  There website is a joke with very little information on it so it’s not surprising there is deficiency’s in there email system as well.

32 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Yes, how dare they only send the letter to *checks notes* the people who it applies to!

The nerve of them!

There policy’s apply to everyone sailing before January according to piece of mind  but only people who sail in the next 30/45 days get emails. I use 30/45 days because NCL says May 11th.  So yes “the nerve or them”.