Now for something completely different

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Looks a generous meal.  What is veg on left?

It is a re-stuffed baked potato. the potato is baked then cut open and the flesh is scooped out then mixed with sour cream, bacon bits, cheese and green onion. Then everything is pot back in the skin and reheated. I only ate half of the steak, it was a large porterhouse. Very tasty but way too big for one meal.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It is a re-stuffed baked potato. the potato is baked then cut open and the flesh is scooped out then mixed with sour cream, bacon bits, cheese and green onion. Then everything is pot back in the skin and reheated. I only ate half of the steak, it was a large porterhouse. Very tasty but way too big for one meal.

I'd love to try that re-stuffed baked potato.  Steak looks like what you'd get at a bush pub here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I'd love to try that re-stuffed baked potato.  Steak looks like what you'd get at a bush pub here. 

I've been told you can get a dinner like that for about $20.00 down there. The raw steak cost $23.00 here. We are looking at new options for our down under adventure. We were at a "Celebrity" cruises presentation yesterday and we got a quote for one of their cruises. It was almost sold out and the only cabin we could get didn't suit our needs, we passed on that. We are now looking at a longer cruise on Holland America, Noordam. We are waiting to see what the price is. That is in late February 2024.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I've been told you can get a dinner like that for about $20.00 down there. The raw steak cost $23.00 here. We are looking at new options for our down under adventure. We were at a "Celebrity" cruises presentation yesterday and we got a quote for one of their cruises. It was almost sold out and the only cabin we could get didn't suit our needs, we passed on that. We are now looking at a longer cruise on Holland America, Noordam. We are waiting to see what the price is. That is in late February 2024.

Looks a good meal there Lyle me old mate, except for the broccoli, hate broccoli.   As for $20 for the steak meal 'down here' you mean Australia? More like $35 to $50 for a giant T bone like the pic these days, beef is expensive.

Edited by NSWP

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Looks a good meal there Lyle me old mate, except for the broccoli, hate broccoli.   As for $20 for the steak meal 'down here' you mean Australia? More like $35 to $50 for a giant T bone like the pic these days, beef is expensive.

Ahoy Les, good to hear from you. Thanks for the price correction because a dinner like that would cost $35.00 to $50.00 here as well. Good thing I cooked it on my excellent grill along with a bone in chicken breast for Lynn.

21 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

There are so many great deals around at present I'd tend to wait.  However the deals mightn't still be around in Feb 2024. Depends whether covid is still around on cruise ships then,  When I mentioned I can't consider current specials because I've made other plans.  Someone said he could have done five of the current specials for the price of his one booked cruise to NZ,  Heart breaking.  I'm going on a 7 day cruise on Carnival's Luminosa to GBR on Sunday, 4/12.  Ports of call are Airlie Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas.  No single supplement.  I miss travelling north.  

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@MMDown Under The "deal" is time sensitive. There is this thing called "Black Friday" up here and there are a bunch of sales on, they expire on the 1st of December. We will see how much the fare is and what deposit they want.

We have those sales here now, even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.  Seems the sales are bigger than our Boxing Day sales now.  We try not to get caught up with these sales, but we bought a big TV, toaster and jug yesterday, but we needed them.  My daughter is going to shop around for best speaker for TV.  As long as you do your homework you can find genuine bargains.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

We have those sales here now, even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving.  Seems the sales are bigger than our Boxing Day sales now.  We try not to get caught up with these sales, but we bought a big TV, toaster and jug yesterday, but we needed them.  My daughter is going to shop around for best speaker for TV.  As long as you do your homework you can find genuine bargains.  

I always liked the boxing day sales now we have been infected by the "Black Friday" sale out of the United States. Of course why would you wait for boxing day when you can have it right now. We bought our new UHD TV and UHD DVD player last year on boxing day. It was a good purchase and more "Canadian" for us.

22 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Congratulations to Canada for their Davis Cup final win over our Aussie men.

If we couldn't win, Canadians are my favourite team players, so congratulations to Canada!  Canadian players have really improved in recent years. 

• Like 1

I'd been considering buying a GPS sports watch for some time. Black Friday sales gave that a kickalong. I ended up buying a Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire half price at Rebel Sport - $699!

Before this I'd never paid more than $40 for a waterproof, digital, watch.

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I'd been considering buying a GPS sports watch for some time. Black Friday sales gave that a kickalong. I ended up buying a Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire half price at Rebel Sport - $699!

I think electronic goods are a good buy in the sales.

I have been checking my cruises and have found none are any cheaper than I paid for them.

in fact having a look at Norwegian where they say the 2nd partner sails  for free .   I had looked at the same price earlier this year and it is about the same price.

I think the prices may be better in the US.

EILEEN

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Do they use that awful name in OZ too? I hate it, a sale for what is supposed to be "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" called black Friday? To me (a child of depression era parents) "Black Friday" was the start of the stock market crash which signaled the beginning of a world wide depression that only ended by the horror of the second world war

I wish they would find a new name.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Do they use that awful name in OZ too? I hate it, a sale for what is supposed to be "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" called black Friday? To me (a child of depression era parents) "Black Friday" was the start of the stock market crash which signaled the beginning of a world wide depression that only ended by the horror of the second world war

Same has been said here..Black Friday has related to really terrific Bush fires in OZ.

Eileen

• Like 4

On 11/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, lyndarra said:

Sounds like a great buy.

My mob are at me to get the new Apple Watch, fall alerts, find me if I wander off and detect heart irregularities, seems the older ticker skips some beats, but ECG doesn’t pick them up. But gee they cost a ton.

On 11/28/2022 at 4:47 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Black Friday was always Friday 13th to me. Took me a few years to work out wha5 the6 we’re on about. Just another excuse to have a sale in my opinion. Though Easter eggs should be on the shelves soon.

• Haha 4

On 11/28/2022 at 4:05 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you, I wasn't aware we won. Of course all eyes are on the Football (AKA Soccer here) world cup. 

We have a few hours till a major match, vs Denmark, which will be played in the early hours of Thursday morning AEDT.  I really feel for Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (aka Australia's Mary Donaldson, originally from Tasmania, our apple isle).  She must be torn, although she has been quoted as saying she would always cheer for Australia, unless against a Dane.  Still, though.......

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Seafood chowder last night, Lyle, although not quite as robust and hearty as the one I serve in winter

07E055B8-60A9-4878-95FD-0DADBD46DF2D.jpeg

That looks a lot like one I make, although I would have a swirl of heavy cream just before serving. It looks like you used parmesan cheese. Typically I use tarragon and dill is the herb enhancement. I always have bacon and smoked salmon in the mix, usually shrinp, clams and some firm fleshed fish.

I'm going to make chowder for my mother in law for her90th birthday on the 10th of December.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Black Friday was always Friday 13th to me. Took me a few years to work out wha5 the6 we’re on about. Just another excuse to have a sale in my opinion. Though Easter eggs should be on the shelves soon.

Followed by Cyber Monday and this morning they were pushing Travel Tuesday on US Breakfast TV.  No doubt someone is working on "w" at this moment!

• Haha 1