Seriously; when do you think the British Isle ports will re-open?

nini

The time is passing quickly. Many of us have British Isle cruises booked 

AFTER July. Ours is in September.

For you who maybe live here, what are your thoughts and perceptions on

when the cruise ports may actually open as well as the countries be ready

for tourists again?

Final payments will creep up on all of us.

John Bull and others... thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by nini
to correct spelling
  • Like 1

British ports are not closed - to cruise ships or anyone else.  There are no lines sailing at the moment - and with our lockdown restrictions travelling to board a ship would be "non essential travel" but we are not closed.  When cruising returns the UK will be there.

• Thanks 1

There's an embargo on cruises out of Southampton - and the rest of the UK? -  before 15th May (that's not the same as the ports being closed).

But I don't think there's any doubt that the date will be put back - possibly several times, depending how soon the virus is brought under control both in the UK & the rest of the world.

Currently I've also noticed very very few cargo ships entering or leaving Southampton.

I'm presuming that it's because of very little production or demand for imports / exports - Southampton handles mainly container ships, Ro-Ro vehicle carriers and oil tankers, but very little foodstuffs.

Also very very few ferries between England & Normandy, a skeleton service mainly for trucks.

Still a fair number of ferries between Dover and France / Belgium. Those + the Channel Tunnel are the routes for the bulk of the UK's food imports, and we're still seeing European-registered trucks on our roads. Perhaps Phil knows more detail on Dover.

JB :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

It's so hard to say. In theory we're a few weeks behind other European countries in the progress of the virus, so it is encouraging to see Spain starting to relax the rules on certain businesses (I understand that they have said that some factories and construction sites can re-open). 

I think, like everywhere, it really depends on a better understanding of the virus - can you catch it twice, is there a reliable test to show you've had it, etc., plus obviously the holy grail of a vaccine. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think the UK is much different from anywhere else, and the other big thing is restrictions on travel imposed by foreign governments. It's all very well the UK being open for business, but if the USA puts restrictions on travel or insists on returning people going in to quarantine then it may be a moot point for some. 

Seeems like a huge downturn of ships to and from Dover lately (we can see them in the channel from our house) but there are still a few. The ferries are still running but only for freight (still a lot of European lorries on the roads - at least when I go out to get the shopping and have to travel on the A20) and for European residents only, not for any other sort of travel. The tunnel is also open, but again, only for freight and residents. My friend has a house in France but was stuck over here for a month, managed to get her paperwork stating France was her main residence and was able to get the tunnel back last week. Apparently, after that day the prices rocketed for non-freight travellers, of which I believe there are very few.  

The Dover cruise port has a few ships 'resting' there for now. Our local cruise company (Saga) is staying positive that there will be cruises in the future, mainly booking for next year at the moment.

We are due to sail out of Southampton on 27th July on Regal Princess so don't see that happening. Final payment changed to end of May but no loss either way if we cancel or Princess. 

We haven't yet cancelled our private excursions as the Crown is sailing the same route next year so we'd swap out for that. Our government are the only ones who can decide where we go from here. They will review our lockdown on Thursday.

We are all healthy and that is what counts even if we are all stuck at home......

I did cancel my September British Isle cruise before the final payment was due. Even if the cruise does sail, I don't expect it would be the same experience that it would have been prior to COVID-19. The fact that Wimbledon and The Military Tattoo in Edinburgh (August)  were already cancelled tells me that it's going to take a long time to get back to normal. There is also a distinct possibility that the virus will come back in the fall/winter. It was a special trip to celebrate my wife and my 50 year anniversary but our health and well being are much more important. We will take this cruise but it will be in 2021 or 2022 depending on where we are at with overcoming this virus.

2 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I did cancel my September British Isle cruise before the final payment was due. Even if the cruise does sail, I don't expect it would be the same experience that it would have been prior to COVID-19. The fact that Wimbledon and The Military Tattoo in Edinburgh (August)  were already cancelled tells me that it's going to take a long time to get back to normal. There is also a distinct possibility that the virus will come back in the fall/winter. It was a special trip to celebrate my wife and my 50 year anniversary but our health and well being are much more important. We will take this cruise but it will be in 2021 or 2022 depending on where we are at with overcoming this virus.

Congratulations on your 50th anniversary.

If and when you finally take this cruise, I would recommend you do it in August so as to be able to attend the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh. It is well worth it.. 

• Like 1

I understand that the Military Tattoo is outstanding but I also understand the tourists and crowds are horendous in July and August throughout the British Isles. On our September 2020 cruise, we were the only ship in port at every stop except one. When I do rebook, I think we will aim for mid to late May or September because I value the less crowded agendas

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Bob, given the choices of Mid May or mid September what would you recommend and what are the considerations. I'm retired so I am extremely flexible.

Both dates are good for minimising crowds.

And on average the climate is similar, but "on average" is about as accurate as you'll find. :classic_rolleyes: 

Our fickle weather has been ideal for sight-seeing this April, even late March. And we can have "Indian summers", glorious weather through to early October.

It'd be good to get opinions from our Scottish members - it can be glorious here on the south coast but wet and windy in Scotland, especially up around the Orkneys & Shetlands. That said, there's been times when exactly the reverse is true.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.:classic_wink:

Next September will of course be further away than next May -  hopefully less infection, a vaccine, and overall less likely to be impacted by the current pandemic

8 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Both dates are good for minimising crowds.

And on average the climate is similar, but "on average" is about as accurate as you'll find. :classic_rolleyes: 

Our fickle weather has been ideal for sight-seeing this April, even late March. And we can have "Indian summers", glorious weather through to early October.

It'd be good to get opinions from our Scottish members - it can be glorious here on the south coast but wet and windy in Scotland, especially up around the Orkneys & Shetlands. That said, there's been times when exactly the reverse is true.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.:classic_wink:

Next September will of course be further away than next May -  hopefully less infection, a vaccine, and overall less likely to be impacted by the current pandemic

18 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Bob, given the choices of Mid May or mid September what would you recommend and what are the considerations. I'm retired so I am extremely flexible.

One thing that I will note is that the days are longer in May than in September.

I've already consoled myself to not going to England this year. When I retired three years ago, we took our first trip there for a British Isles cruise. We went back the next two years for transatlantic cruises. I was hoping for a third transatlantic cruise this fall. DH may have stayed home. He's an only child and feels guilty when leaving his mother for long periods of time. I went to Alaska and the Panama Canal without him last year.

I think it depends on whether you prefer Spring -  "When proud-pied April, dressed in all his trim, Hath put a spirit of youth in everything, or Autumn -  "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun."

• 1 month later...

A quick data point on the “country ready for tourists” aspect of this question from April.

Major West End producer Delfont Mackintosh Theatres has announced today that they will not reopen their London shows until 2021 - this includes Hamilton, Les Mis, Phantom and Mary Poppins. 

The UK hospitality industry (hotels, pubs, restaurants) essentially remains closed until July at the earliest, although some outdoor attractions have now reopened. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

NYC Broadway says they re-open on January 3, 2021

I am SO glad we did not purchase our Les Mis tickets for

our Sept. cruise. However, I am sure they would have refunded.

On 4/14/2020 at 12:49 PM, nini said:

Thank you all for your answers and observations. The British Isles

was the main destination we wanted to cruise. Maybe we will need to reschedule.

Stay safe!

Nini,

, did you reschedule?  If so, for when?

On 7/4/2020 at 11:13 AM, dog said:

Nini,

, did you reschedule?  If so, for when?

No, we did not. The same sailing did not have the same itinerary, it was an older

ship and 2K more for the same cabin category. We will consider 2022 or just

exploring Great Britain on our own on land.

• Thanks 1

Another general update. Many of the restrictions on UK businesses were lifted this weekend. The hospitality sector can now reopen, including pubs, restaurants and accommodation, as can many visitor attractions. 

Not all have done so, by any means, and those that have are operating in new ways, usually involving much reduced capacity and booking systems (eg many pubs are operating booking for tables). 

Travel restrictions are due to be eased also, so that travellers arriving from many countries will not be required to go into quarantine for 14 days. This does not yet include the United States. 

Theatres sadly remain dark, with no clear timetable for the resumption of live performances. 

• Thanks 1