Full Refunds

This is what I see on their FAQ section and they do mention possible delays 

• For sailings departing on-or-before April 10th, 2020, once the reservation is cancelled, refunds can be expected within 30 days. Though refunds can be expected within approximately 30 days from the request submission, we appreciate your patience during this busy time as delays may occur.
• For sailings departing April 11th – May 11th, 2020, guests can elect to convert their purchases into an onboard credit (OBC) valued at 125% of the amount paid via the Cruise Planner tool. Guests and/or travel partners must opt-in to take advantage of this option on-or-before Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 – at which time the offer will expire. Thereafter, all guests who did not opt-in for the elevated OBC will automatically receive a refund to the original form of payment. Though refunds can be expected within approximately 30 days, we appreciate your patience during this busy time as delays may occur. This offer is applicable to individual reservations, as well as individuals within a Group.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is what I see on their FAQ section and they do mention possible delays 

• For sailings departing on-or-before April 10th, 2020, once the reservation is cancelled, refunds can be expected within 30 days. Though refunds can be expected within approximately 30 days from the request submission, we appreciate your patience during this busy time as delays may occur.
• For sailings departing April 11th – May 11th, 2020, guests can elect to convert their purchases into an onboard credit (OBC) valued at 125% of the amount paid via the Cruise Planner tool. Guests and/or travel partners must opt-in to take advantage of this option on-or-before Wednesday, April 8th, 2020 – at which time the offer will expire. Thereafter, all guests who did not opt-in for the elevated OBC will automatically receive a refund to the original form of payment. Though refunds can be expected within approximately 30 days, we appreciate your patience during this busy time as delays may occur. This offer is applicable to individual reservations, as well as individuals within a Group.

I sure can understand they must get the refunds accurate. You see the mess from the FCC. What if they started issuing over payment refunds. It would be hard to get the excess back. An FCC, they can tweak after issue. This all falls back on their terrible IT/Accounting system. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I sure can understand they must get the refunds accurate. You see the mess from the FCC. What if they started issuing over payment refunds. It would be hard to get the excess back. An FCC, they can tweak after issue. This all falls back on their terrible IT/Accounting system. 

Their accounting system is absolutely horrendous which is leading to the issue of refunds. When you make a payment that payment gets split up into a bunch of different buckets and then to get a refund they have to get it back out of each bucket.  Hopefully they are taking the extra time to ensure it comes back as one amount that customers can reconcile. 

Ever notice on a cruise planner purchase that for example a family of 4 bought three shore excursion and then requested a refund they get 12 refunds (1 per person per excursion) rather than the 1 amount that was initially charged. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Their accounting system is absolutely horrendous which is leading to the issue of refunds. When you make a payment that payment gets split up into a bunch of different buckets and then to get a refund they have to get it back out of each bucket.  Hopefully they are taking the extra time to ensure it comes back as one amount that customers can reconcile. 

Ever notice on a cruise planner purchase that for example a family of 4 bought three shore excursion and then requested a refund they get 12 refunds (1 per person per excursion) rather than the 1 amount that was initially charged. 

Unfortunately, it’s been horrendous since I have been cruising with them. Maybe they should take this off time to fix. 

In my opinion 

• Like 2

I was supposed to be on Grandeur OTS sailing starting March 26th and it was cancelled when Baltimore shut down their port on Friday, March 13th.     I was told it would be 7-10 days to receive refund to credit card.     I called on or about March 24th for status and was told to give it a couple more days and I received the refund the morning of March 26th.     

I have another May cruise that has been cancelled and was told to expect to receive the refund approximately 30-days after the set sail date.    i.e. sail date was May 11th - should receive refund on or about June 11th.    

As I suspected this cruise was going to be cancelled I had cancelled the prepaid items in cruise planner before they announced it was cancelled and I received that refund within 6 days.     

Now I am still waiting on a FCC for another cruise that I had cancelled - it's been 33 days and no FCC received yet.

• Thanks 1

I called this morning as the 30 days for our cruise being canceled was today. We were supposed to be on Harmony March 15th. After speaking to the agent, he placed me on hold for about 3-4 mins. Came back on and said my full refund was "processed" on March 23rd and that funds should be received 30 days from that time. I will wait 1 more week and then call back if I have not received them. This time I might not be as nice as I was today. I get they are overwhelmed but they canceled our cruise & with the way the economy is I want my almost $7k back. 

• Like 2

About a month ago they canceled my trip scheduled for JOS May 3rd. So far no refund received. 

Tonight on 1 of the 3 bookings I received a FCC email. This, after 4 calls the past few weeks to make sure all 3 of my reservations were getting the cash refund... 

The delay tactic on the refunds is typical corporate mistreatment of their most valued asset -- their customers. RCL is using us as a bank, plain and simple. It does not take 30-40 days to issue refunds in the year 2020. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonbiloh said:

About a month ago they canceled my trip scheduled for JOS May 3rd. So far no refund received. 

THEY cancelled it ?

May 3rd sailings would were cancelled March 24th. My May 2nd TA was in the March 24th announcement

17 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

THEY cancelled it ?

May 3rd sailings would were cancelled March 24th. My May 2nd TA was in the March 24th announcement

You're not correct here. I received an email notice from RCL on March 15th advising of the cancellation.

So far I am:

0/3 for stateroom refunds

0/4 pre-cruise purchases

1/0 non-requested FCC

Meanwhile RCL continues to use our money as a cash float.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mariamtzj said:

Has anyone received their full refunds yet? Our cruise was canceled about a month ago and still nothing...

Most posts say they started processing about the date of your cruise. ... whenever that was. But could be up to 90 days. They will refund slowly. 

Count 30 days from your cruise date, maybe by then if you are lucky.

The only people I have read that have received their refunds were people who canceled cruises before final payment.  

My cruise that was canceled by RC was supposed to sail April 12th.  I submitted my request for full cash refund  the day after I received the email stating my cruise was canceled.  

I know that I will receive my refund, but it will be interesting to see when.  Fortunately, both husband and I are working so we are not desperate for the money RC has tied up. However, it's annoying to know that people who had their cruises canceled 30 days before mine are still waiting on their refunds.  It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth knowing other cruise lines are issue refunds more effectively the RC.

• Like 1

has anyone contacted their credit card companies on advise on what to do?  If i were to buy a good or service that wasnt provided as is the case with a cancelled cruise, i would dispute the charges on my credit card.  

I received email confirmation on 3-24 (a Tuesday) that our late May Alaska cruise was cancelled.  The same day I used the link in the email to request a full refund- which indicated I would receive the refund in 30 days (so appx. 4-24).  After reading on the boards about people getting FCC instead of refunds I decided to call Royal to check on things.  I spoke to "John" in customer service on 4-4 and he confirmed I had a request for a refund logged in on 3-28 (ok- but not ok).  He assured me I would be refunded within 30 days of my request of 3-28.  I asked for email confirmation of my request for a refund ... he told me he did not have the ability to send me an email but that our call was recorded and he noted my request .... I'll let you guys know ....

Good news- I had cancelled all of our cruise planner items- drink packages, internet and arcade credits on 3-16 in anticipation of the cancellation.   I received credit to my credit card for all of those items on 3-20.

Not so good news- I've never been able to cruise twice in one year but this was the year I was doing it.  I have a late July cruise booked with extended family and final payment is coming up 5-5.  My family has never cruised before and are looking to me on what to do about making final payment .... I just don't know ........

40 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth knowing other cruise lines are issue refunds more effectively the RC

NCL is telling guests that it will be 90 days.  From what I’ve see most in the travel industry  are struggling with getting refunds out in less than 30 days.  Lots of All Inclusive's aren’t even offering refunds...vacation certificates only. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bucket29 said:

Not so good news- I've never been able to cruise twice in one year but this was the year I was doing it.  I have a late July cruise booked with extended family and final payment is coming up 5-5.  My family has never cruised before and are looking to me on what to do about making final payment .... I just don't know ........

In regards to this part of your post, we were in a similar situation last month for our upcoming june cruise.  Pay the final payment or cancel and loose a portion of our deposit.  We opted to cancel and glad we did based on this thread.  We are still waiting for our refundable portion of our deposit, but at least we arent trying to collect the full cruise amount.  

7 minutes ago, Bucket29 said:

Not so good news- I've never been able to cruise twice in one year but this was the year I was doing it.  I have a late July cruise booked with extended family and final payment is coming up 5-5.  My family has never cruised before and are looking to me on what to do about making final payment .... I just don't know .....

Prices have been dropping significantly within a week of final payment date passing.  I also think the odds of a July cruise happening are slim. 

March 15th, 2020 Harmony of the seas was cancelled by Royal while I was down in Florida drinking around the world in Epcot (extra drinks were had due to this). Received a cancellation email from Royal and requested a full refund on March 19 through their direct link that I screenshotted. Their e-mail said up to a 30 day refund process. Haven't heard a word since and it's near 30 days. I'm still waiting on my cruise fare, shore excursions, and drink package refunds.

2 other couples that booked with us received e-mails for refunds on the drink packages/shore excursions a few days ago, however no money has been credited to them yet.

What a ***** show this is and from reading these boards it doesn't seem like anyone is getting their cruise fare money back (only excursions/drink packages). Maybe if Royal communicated better it wouldn't be so bad. You would think they would at least send out some more emails for the delays. Isn't there a rep on these boards? At this point I'm not expecting to ever see over $4k of my money again but time will tell.

Edited by SRTcruisin
  • Like 2

Cancelled my May 11th cruise second week of March, before RCCL cancelled it. I inquired again with my TA today, and this is what I got; "in process but somehow became stuck in the system.  They are working on that now to push it through.  They are overwhelmed, as you can imagine." 

So, maybe all our refunds are somehow stuck in the system? 

I would take a few trips around Epcot right now. 🍷

Edited by TYMAN
  • Like 2