Port Adelaide transport options

Hi everyone, 

I am hopefully going to be cruising on the Sea Princess next February with a stop in Adelaide and am looking for suggestions of how previous travellers have gotten themselves into Adelaide.  The closest car hire is 25 minutes away from the port... so apart from Uber's or taxis, can anyone let me know if there are shuttle buses etc?  

Thanks - stay safe all! 

Cheers, Vickie. 

51 minutes ago, V_icki_e said:

Hi everyone, 

I am hopefully going to be cruising on the Sea Princess next February with a stop in Adelaide and am looking for suggestions of how previous travellers have gotten themselves into Adelaide.  The closest car hire is 25 minutes away from the port... so apart from Uber's or taxis, can anyone let me know if there are shuttle buses etc?  

Thanks - stay safe all! 

Cheers, Vickie. 

Good to see someone thinking about their next cruise.  My friends are all talking about their cancellations/refunds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

There is a train service from the port into town.

Yes, the train is by far the easiest unless you are toting a barge load of baggage.

The station is about 100 meters from the port and if you are a senior they will even give you a free ticket at the station for off-peak travel on all public transport, good for several weeks.

• Thanks 1

The outer harbour station is well positioned for cruise ships, as mentioned seniors get a free ticket which is good for any off peak travel, it includes train, trams and buses.

If you are not a senior, the cost was $10 for travel for the day on the trains, trams or buses and it doesn't have to be off peak either.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

It will depend on the cruiseline if there is a bus into the city. The train is pretty easy though. Wondering when the cruise is though?

The only cruise line we have been on where we visited Adelaide is Princess. Maybe other lines have a shuttle bus.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

The only cruise line we have been on where we visited Adelaide is Princess. Maybe other lines have a shuttle bus.

Yes, QM2 had one. They often provide shuttles where the port is a way from the action. They even put on a bus from Melb port into the city. 

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Melbourne has the bus service put on for every cruise now so that the tram is not overloaded, $16 pp or $8 concession.

That makes sense. I remember there were issues with one cruise as people tried to use the tram to get back to port just as schools had finished for the day. Bedlam. 

Hi,

March 2020, RCI did not have buses but the train as stated is there, plenty of taxis also rocked up once the ship landed.

As stated $10 for the day tripper ticket on the train for adults (can't verify senior price) and the train was made up to 3 cars instead of the usual 1 or 2.

Port Adelaide/enfield council also run a hop on hop off bus for $20 I think. https://australianelements.com/port-adelaide-semaphore-hop-on-hop-off-bus/

• Thanks 1