Deposit Refund for a Non-Covid Related Cancellation

donaldsc

In February we cancelled an Oceania cruise that was scheduled for August 2021.  We received a confirmation from our TA about the cancellation.  We have not yet gotten the refund.  I realize that Oceania is dealing w a lot of problems but almost 3 months to receive what should be a simple deposit refund for a cruise that is more than 1 year out seems unreasonable to me.  I have not bothered my TA because I know that she did cancel the cruise for us, she is very busy dealing w other stuff and I know that we will get it eventually but Oceania is holding $3000 of our money.  This was going to be our first Oceania cruise and I am not pleased with their service.  Is this typical of them?

DON

8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

In February we cancelled an Oceania cruise that was scheduled for August 2021.  We received a confirmation from our TA about the cancellation.  We have not yet gotten the refund.  I realize that Oceania is dealing w a lot of problems but almost 3 months to receive what should be a simple deposit refund for a cruise that is more than 1 year out seems unreasonable to me.  I have not bothered my TA because I know that she did cancel the cruise for us, she is very busy dealing w other stuff and I know that we will get it eventually but Oceania is holding $3000 of our money.  This was going to be our first Oceania cruise and I am not pleased with their service.  Is this typical of them?

DON

Nothing is typical these days from Oceania or any other line. They are ALL holding onto their cash.

That said, this is most unusual as it is "only" for a deposit and it happened before the great rush of cancellations - you should have gotten your money by now. 

?Maybe file a dispute with your CC just in case?

Better check with your TA.

Definitely dispute with your credit card company!  You'll get a credit right away and let Oceania, Travel agent, and credit card company figure out who does what to whom and when.  Forget the "problems" that Oceania and TA are dealing with.  Remember you paid the $$$ and deserve the refund ASAP ---- not when they get around to it.  Stick up for yourself --- no one else will.

Don - Unfortunately (now) for you, and many thousands of other (including me), these are not "typical times".  Are you following the stock market and watching what's been happening to "O's" parent corporate company?  NCLH is not "floating" on top of the water.  It's waaaayyy under water!  In the last 4 months, NCL Holding has lost 4/5ths of it's total market value and is looking in all directions for a funding "lifeline" of much needed (and immediate) cash.

They are going to try to hold on to every single dollar they now currently have in their "piggy bank".  They "could have" returned your (and my) deposits to us immediately.  But certainly not now.  They will stretch refunds out as long as they possibly can.  And that assumes they don't file for bankruptcy or "reorganization" before then.  Sorry to sound like a "spoil sport", but nothing compels them to rush your money back to you.  For those considering "suing" to get their money back....stand in line!  Regards. 

27 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Not typical at all

usually we get a refund within a week under normal conditions

i would "bother" your TA  so she can follow up on the issue

Agreed.  We haven't often had to cancel but when we did it was always well before the final payment date and our deposit was returned promptly.  I don't doubt the delay is because they are dealing with so many refunds these days.  Do let your TA know what's going on.  Your refund may must have fallen through the cracks.  After all it can be a simple mistake as opposed to a deliberate delay.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Not typical at all

usually we get a refund within a week under normal conditions

i would "bother" your TA  so she can follow up on the issue

We canceled in March for a September cruise and had our deposit back in about four days. I don't care how busy the TA is I'd contact them.

I am in the same situation. We cancelled on February 23 and were told 4-6 weeks (which in my opinion is excessive for a regular deposit refund). I called at the end of 6 weeks and was told it was overlooked and would be expedited to be received in 7 days. Of course, that didn’t happen, so I called yesterday and spoke with a supervisor. I was basically told too bad, I’ll need to get in line and wait 90 days.

I have a rescheduled cruise on the Pride of America that I’m hoping we get to go on, but that will probably be my “one and done” with any of the lines under the NCL corporate umbrella. I haven’t been impressed with their policies or customer service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

I contacted my TA who contacted Oceania re my refund.  Oceania said that it might take 90 days to get the refund.  My TA pointed out to Oceania that the refund request was put in before everything went to pieces and Oceania's response was essentially TS.  So much for service.  This was going to be my first Oceania cruise.  They are really making a good impression on me.  You get better service on the Staten Island ferry.

DON

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I contacted my TA who contacted Oceania re my refund.  Oceania said that it might take 90 days to get the refund.  My TA pointed out to Oceania that the refund request was put in before everything went to pieces and Oceania's response was essentially TS.  So much for service.  This was going to be my first Oceania cruise.  They are really making a good impression on me.  You get better service on the Staten Island ferry.

DON

I meant to say that they are NOT making a good impression on me.  

DON

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

We canceled back in March and had our deposit (only) within about four days. That really is too bad 😞

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I meant to say that they are NOT making a good impression on me.  

DON

You should check the threads on other lines.  Celebrity and  Viking are two that I looked at, and you will find threads with  the same complaints, so it's not just Oceania.  True, you's should have been at the head of the line, depending when you requested the refund, but every cruise line is stressed. 

I will add  Carnival Corp & RCL    the 3 biggies  are all  saying 90 days  for refunds

even the some of the UK independent  lines are taking  a lot longer

People have to remember  this is NOT  the same World  it was 2 months ago

We  never lined up to get food shopping  before   nor wore masks when leaving home  etc..

These are extraordinary times we are in   as long as the banks  do not collapse  we may survive  all this

• Like 1

I had two cruises for 2021 that I canceled back in early March. Both were expensive cruises that we no longer have the money for.  I was told at the time 10-14 days.  I received the one deposit back in 4 days, the other...... Still waiting.  I did contact my TA at 14 days and she double checked that it had been submitted properly.  Now I just assume it will take 90 days. Not happy, but it is what it is.  I have not received my money back for a UA flight that was canceled  two weeks ago.  Normally you see that credit the same day.  I had a land based tour through Rick Steves for June.  They canceled  and I received my money back within the week. Extremely pleased with that.  

I got the same 90 days today.  It's a race for a refund vs bankruptcy.    We  had a hi end suite which we cancelled, so if we lose the money, this is the last cruise on Oceania and maybe all others.   We've been most everywhere except Asia and that region is not on my wish list anymore.