Big Price Drop - New York to Greenland 8/17/2020

Syracusefan

remmit - Any cruise line planning to do polar cruises after 1st January 2022 just shows they are not up to the latest regulations.

Do not book those cruises that I too have seen listed because the cruise will not sail north or south of latitude 60 degrees.

If they did the vessels insurances would be invalid.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:58 PM, MMDown Under said:

I am surprised Princess is taking a cruise ship to Greenland, with its limited infrastructure, at this uncertain time due to the corona virus.

What does limited infrastructure mean, as it relates to cruise ship passengers ? 

Edited by Boatdrill

On 4/24/2020 at 6:51 AM, Level six said:

And sitting in the theater for 1 hour before the show(like we did every night) with all the sick people would be a covid night mare.  I would not go again for $100.  

Why did  you sit in the theater for an hour before the show every night ? 

(just wondering) 

14 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

(just wondering) 

On some ships the theater fills up an hour or 45 minutes before start of the performance. Happened a lot on Island Princess.

37 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

What does limited infrastructure mean, as it relates to cruise ship passengers ? 

I meant roads, hospitals, airports.  I have flown in to Greenland and cruised by small ship.  My cruise was considered an adventure cruise.

The majority of corona virus infected people in Australia are from cruise ship passengers and people flying in to Australia from overseas (including returning Australians).

New York is currently a hot spot for this corona virus.  It would be totally irresponsible for the cruise line and passengers to take this virus to a country, like Greenland.  Caribbean Princess carries 3,600 passengers!

Edited by MMDown Under

33 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The majority of corona virus infected people in Australia are from cruise ship passengers and people flying in to Australia from overseas (including returning Australians).

If you mean the origin, then wouldn't it all be from people traveling into Australia.  This would be true for every country outside of China I guess. 

Anyway, I agree the way things sit right now a cruise from NYC in August does seem kind of "iffy".  I wonder how the Icelanders view that idea.  

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

(just wondering) 

The theater on Caribbean Princess can only hold about 600 people.  The ship holds up to 3200.  So, on the cruise to Greenland last year, there were lines an hour ahead of the show.  If you wanted a seat together, you had to be there about an hour early.  It was a mess and there were always many, many mad people.  No fun and no way to "social distance". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

If you mean the origin, then wouldn't it all be from people traveling into Australia.  This would be true for every country outside of China I guess. 

Anyway, I agree the way things sit right now a cruise from NYC in August does seem kind of "iffy".  I wonder how the Icelanders view that idea.  

Australia has paid a high price for allowing cruise ships to visit Australia after cruise ships were banned due to the corona virus.  I don't think other countries have such a high percentage of people infected with the virus, as a direct result of cruise ships.  

I don't think people from Greenland would be happy about large cruise ships visiting Greenland, whilst there is no vaccine. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I meant roads, hospitals, airports.  I have flown in to Greenland and cruised by small ship.  My cruise was considered an adventure cruise...... Caribbean Princess carries 3,600 passengers!

Interesting. When I visited Nuuk during a cruise years ago, all three things you mentioned were there.  

Princess ships with high passenger capacity are a problem in many places, not just Greenland.. In July 2019, voters in Bar Harbor (Maine) banned the building of piers that would accommodate ships with more than a 500 pax count.  They want and like tourism, but the extreme amount of passengers on the mega ships strain the community and make it unpleasant for visitors.  Who can blame them ?  So ships will continue to anchor and use tenders. 

Edited by Boatdrill

On 4/24/2020 at 4:32 AM, FlorenceItaly said:

I can not imagine NYC allowing a cruise ship in their city by August.

Totally agree with that as I am watching Gov Cuomo speak about a very slow, deliberate, closely monitored re-opening of New York State and NYC.