Will COVID mean that people prefer smaller ships?

Presto2

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Trouble is with that, which we have done in the past on Caronia is that modern ships dont have just lifeboats but also life rafts that inflate on being operated and aalso what happens due to some form of incident such as what happened to Concordia where one side of lifeboats due to listing were unavailable so assigned lifeboats do not work.

Same ship. She was the Vistafjord when I sailed on her.

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

How many refused to Cruise because there wasn't a SARS,MERS vaccine. Not many I suspect.

Neither of which caused the worldwide shutdown that this virus has done,i wonder what Govt's around the world really know about this virus and are not telling us because they are all going to a Hell of a lot of trouble and crippling expense to control it.

Edited by Chrisdriving

Just now, Chrisdriving said:

Neither of which caused the worldwide shutdown that this virus has done,i wonder what Govt's around the world really know about this Virus and are not telling us.

That's a scary thought. Isn't this how The Walking Dead started. Did you see the BBC drama "the survivors" about 50 years ago. What do they know that they aren't telling us?☠️.

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That's a scary thought. Isn't this how The Walking Dead started. Did you see the BBC drama "the survivors" about 50 years ago. What do they know that they aren't telling us?☠️.

Gosh I remember seeing The Survivors as a child. Your post has really spooked me now, but do believe that it will all come under control eventually...……………………. notice the emphasis on 'eventually' as Manuel used to say on Fawlty Towers !

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Gosh I remember seeing The Survivors as a child. Your post has really spooked me now, but do believe that it will all come under control eventually...……………………. notice the emphasis on 'eventually' as Manuel used to say on Fawlty Towers !

This is all too spooky. My DW and I earlier had out 1 hour ( it actually took 1 hour and 5 minutes,no cops, so we got away with it ) on Horsell Common in Surrey( we live there so location ok) . There is a sand pit. I said " that's where the martians landed in war of the world's". The World could be coming to an end,well the people on it anyway. Looks like we should go on any old cruise. May be the last time.🤒

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

This is all too spooky. My DW and I earlier had out 1 hour ( it actually took 1 hour and 5 minutes,no cops, so we got away with it ) on Horsell Common in Surrey( we live there so location ok) . There is a sand pit. I said " that's where the martians landed in war of the world's". The World could be coming to an end,well the people on it anyway. Looks like we should go on any old cruise. May be the last time.🤒

As long as you don't watch 'The Day of the Triffids' you'll be fine :-)

38 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

As long as you don't watch 'The Day of the Triffids' you'll be fine 🙂

Funny you should say that. Did you look up into the sky last week to see the meteor showers. I didn't. You can guess why , can't you? Living in H G Wells country puts you on your guard😁

Edited by zap99
Added

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Funny you should say that. Did you look up into the sky last week to see the meteor showers. I didn't. You can guess why , can't you?

Anything like here it was cloudy :classic_smile::classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

Will have to wait until August for the Persoid Meteors I suppose and pray for clear skies ;-)

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

The survivors left few people alive, so the survivors had plenty of stores and petrol stations to forage. We might find our economies are no longer able to sustain our survivors, which could be even more frightening

21 hours ago, Presto2 said:

As long as you don't watch 'The Day of the Triffids' you'll be fine 🙂

It's amazing to think that John Wyndham wrote Day of the Triffids in 1951 and foresaw artificial satelites, genetic engineering and the potential for orbital weapons years before they became a reality.

• Like 1

We regularly cruise with P and O and was due on Ventura this March 17th, we have done 8 Pand O cruises 1 on Viking and 1 on Seabourn. We spent nearly 2 weeks on Viking and it was quite an eye opener how much space we had. Never queued for anything rarely was the bar more than 25% full and there was always tables or sunbeds available away from others. Last year on Seabourn it was the same even in the theatre, due to our previous experiences on P and O we would rush to the show a good 15 mins before the start to find we was the only ones there and at most it would end up 33% full. I asked the cruise director about this and he said it was the norm. So I think these smaller luxury lines will be at an advantage post CV19 if they survive, but if there are significant changes to enable cruising to continue I think the appeal will be limited and many will seek alternative holidays. I hope not and I think the real economic impact that cruising generates especially on some of the locations whose income is heavily dependent on cruising will help to temper the restrictions and willingness to welcome us back. I also think that our government should be looking to post CV and encouraging some of the operators to take up registration in the UK as the offshoring is really working against them at present not only from the support side but the publicity.

It won't make any difference to me (I hope) as I generally only sail on the smaller ships.  Around 2000 pax is my limit but I often sail on ships with less than that.  With P&O's inexorable drift to the larger ships, I am more likely to sail on the smaller ships of Fred Olsen and CMV in future.  I said at the beginning that I hope it won't affect me as, if people do start preferring smaller ships, the demand might price me out of cruising - especially when I sail solo!

As a poster mentioned earlier in this thread, I think they will sail the large ships first when cruising does resume because that will give them more viable options to sail with reduced passenger capacity.  I still do however feel that ultimately things will go back to pretty much what it is now - but it will take at least a year or two to get there.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It won't make any difference to me (I hope) as I generally only sail on the smaller ships.  Around 2000 pax is my limit but I often sail on ships with less than that.  With P&O's inexorable drift to the larger ships, I am more likely to sail on the smaller ships of Fred Olsen and CMV in future.  I said at the beginning that I hope it won't affect me as, if people do start preferring smaller ships, the demand might price me out of cruising - especially when I sail solo!

As a poster mentioned earlier in this thread, I think they will sail the large ships first when cruising does resume because that will give them more viable options to sail with reduced passenger capacity.  I still do however feel that ultimately things will go back to pretty much what it is now - but it will take at least a year or two to get there.

Problem is will there be a market for larger ships and what companies will be in the market to buy them.