Italy will stay closed to tourists till the end of 2020...

TroubleT

14 minutes ago, SingBill said:

I wish I knew how to delete this post but I don’t. If anyone can politely tell me how to I will

It's too late for you to edit its contents and there is no way in which you can delete a post yourself. Your best bet is to click on "Report Post" and ask the moderators to do so. They may, but are under no obligation to do so.

26 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It's too late for you to edit its contents and there is no way in which you can delete a post yourself. Your best bet is to click on "Report Post" and ask the moderators to do so. They may, but are under no obligation to do so.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I appreciate it.  I will try that so that people will stop replying to my original post

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

It's not an official announcement yet, as far as I can tell from that article.

In any event, it really doesn't take an announcement to conclude that cruises this fall, especially involving hard-hit countries, aren't in the cards.  I wish I were wrong, but there is very little chance there will be a safe and effective vaccine by then, let alone one that has been widely available.   And given how badly the U.S. has been hit, why do we even think other countries will allow Americans to enter freely? 

Vaccine trials have started over here but even if they find one which they seem confident they will the licensing will take a prolonged period of time. To be fair they are stating they have made progress in a matter of weeks that normally takes years. The educated consensus from those in the know still think it’s going to be into next year before mass vaccination.

Funny when I look at todays’s news sources (U.S. and Great Britain) this Pakistani article is not showing.   What does show is that Italy will begin lifting the COVID 19 restrictions in the next two weeks.   Great Britain announced that for now anyone traveling to Britain must quarantine for two weeks.   Many of the European states have the same rules.   Does anyone on this board regularly read this publication?

10 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Time for a cruise to nowhere and repeal the Jones Act?

Just a courteous FYI, the Jones Act covers cargo vessels, the PVSA act of 1886 covers passenger vessels:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

Safe sailing to all, whenever that may be!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pushka said:

If schools are in lockdown until September then I can't see tourism happening. ABC is an Australian government funded news source

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-27/italy-plans-to-ease-coronavirus-lockdown/12187896

This only means that schools will be closed for the rest of the currenty school year. Summer holidays in Italy are three months and school usually restarts for the next year in September.

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

This only means that schools will be closed for the rest of the currenty school year. Summer holidays in Italy are three months and school usually restarts for the next year in September.

steamboats

Yes. That’s what I posted. If schools can’t go back until Sept then it’s hardly likely they will want cruise ships yet. 

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Yes. That’s what I posted. If schools can’t go back until Sept then it’s hardly likely they will want cruise ships yet. 

Cruise ships won’t be back this summer in Europe. As the poster above though the School return is just in line with their normal summer holidays. Lockdown is going to start getting eased right across Europe in the next few weeks including Britain. I’ve still absolutely no doubt  that cruising will return and maybe sooner than one or two think. 

12 hours ago, az_tchr said:

How is some museums opening like Pompeii and the Colosseum confusing?  Places where social distancing possible will open first. Duh.

They also will open first to Italians.

Edited by farawayatsea

49 minutes ago, yorky said:

Cruise ships won’t be back this summer in Europe. As the poster above though the School return is just in line with their normal summer holidays. Lockdown is going to start getting eased right across Europe in the next few weeks including Britain. I’ve still absolutely no doubt  that cruising will return and maybe sooner than one or two think. 

Agreed. Planned phase 2 is that Italians  may first travel within their own region, restaurants and beauty salons to open 1st June.  It is quite possible that the whole of Italy may be open to Italian residents for July and August subject to social distancing and I wouldn't rule out international travel recommencing some time before the end of the year.  But air travel and large cruise ships certainly remain problematic for the short to medium term.

20 hours ago, dabear said:

Were did you get that Spain and France will follow and close borders to tourist? Is it only your opinion? The article is only for Italy.

Plan for Italy will likely eventually apply to nearby countries which were also hit very hard by the pandemic. You can accept a very logical opinion. But since you asked,  here is an article saying hotels in Spain will be closed until the end of 2020. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/11434941/spains-hotels-shut-end-year/

Edgee:  I do not disagree with the logic of Spain & France following similar policies as Italy. I just recommend that posters identify their opinions & not stating them as facts. 

29 minutes ago, dabear said:

Edgee:  I do not disagree with the logic of Spain & France following similar policies as Italy. I just recommend that posters identify their opinions & not stating them as facts. 

Fair point, dabear. Even opinions from government officials projecting that far into the future are indeed, just that...opinions albiet more informed than opinions from CC posters....Time will tell.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, TroubleT said:

Italy will stay closed to tourists till the end of 2020. Spain will follow. France will do the same.... 

We already know it well: No cruising (Europe/TA) till April 2021 at best...

https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2020/italy-to-remain-closed-for-tourism-until-end-of-year

Sorry, but when I saw the same information elsewhere, I searched the internet and the only other post I came up with was yours, which is very unreliable. It is a Pakistani website sharing a Sputknik (=Russian propaganda) article which reports in English what an Italian Tourism Minister said in Italian to an Italian Newspaper.

There is no other verification that he said this, although I agree that it has been rumored for weeks.

Edited by NJ Cruiserman

5 minutes ago, NJ Cruiserman said:

Sorry, but when I saw the same information elsewhere, I searched the internet and the only other post I came up with was yours, which is very unreliable. It is a Pakistani website sharing a Sputknik (=Russian propaganda) article which reports in English what an Italian Tourism Minister said in Italian to an Italian Newspaper.

There is no other verification that he said this, although I agree that it has been rumored for weeks.

And here is another Sputnik article debunking the first one, this one from an Indian website.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/italian-embassy-claims-tourism-minister-did-n-904954.html

4 minutes ago, drlucy12 said:

I don't think anyone knows right now.  The situation changes on a daily basis.  

I know that neither of those sources are reliable. Sputnik is a Russian government owned propaganda instrument, and appears to be the primary source of both articles. Which are from Pakistan and India, not Italy. Time to search for an Italian language news outlet, in someplace like Rome.

I saw that the Nation (a US entity?) reported on an article in la Repulicca (an Italian paper) stating that theIr borders would remain closed for the rest of the  year. While they are beginning to loosen local restrictions, it makes sense that they would do what is necessary to prevent the reintroduction of new cases from outside. 

36 minutes ago, NJ Cruiserman said:

And here is another Sputnik article debunking the first one, this one from an Indian website.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/italian-embassy-claims-tourism-minister-did-n-904954.html

7 minutes ago, mom says said:

I saw that the Nation (a US entity?) reported on an article in la Repulicca (an Italian paper) stating that theIr borders would remain closed for the rest of the  year. While they are beginning to loosen local restrictions, it makes sense that they would do what is necessary to prevent the reintroduction of new cases from outside. 

The Nation is an Pakastani news outlet, quoting a Russian source.

To make it even better, TASS, the Official Russian news agency, has an article quoting the Italian Ambassador to Russia that the reports are false, from yesterday...

https://tass.com/world/1150363

Those, by the way, are the only Google hits on Italy closing its borders through the end of the year.

4-Pinocchios

Edited by markeb

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

"The Nation" site being linked to is Pakistani.

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

The Nation is an Pakastani news outlet, quoting a Russian source.

To make it even better, TASS, the Official Russian news agency, has an article quoting the Italian Ambassador to Russia that the reports are false, from yesterday...

https://tass.com/world/1150363

All 3 articles are sourced from Russian propaganda sites. Now if we only had an Italian here who has a subscription to "La Republicca" we would know the facts!

1 minute ago, NJ Cruiserman said:

All 3 articles are sourced from Russian propaganda sites. Now if we only had an Italian here who has a subscription to "La Republicca" we would know the facts!

If there's anything either way in "La Republicca", it'll be in the Guardian and/or FT in English by tomorrow...

• Like 1