My 3/10 Refund Received Today

babydaryl24

I was one of the loudest complainers when all of this started. We will NEVER do business with NCL again.

I started calling for a refund about 3/5. Eventually, after using some background check software, I got the emails of Harry Sommer and Katty Byrd. I emailed them, told them my story... and by the 8th, they told me to call, asks for a refund from a particular PCC. I called... but as they were processing the refund, it was 4:55pm. By 5pm, Peace of Mind had kicked in and they were not able to give me a Cash Refund. I spent the next 5 days fighting for my cash refund. They dated it as processed 3/10.

The two deposits/early payments FINALLY showed up on my checking debit card today.

I will be calling my credit card to check on the status of the lump sum final payment as soon as my credit union opens.

Edited by babydaryl24
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So what are the steps you are suggesting that others should take?  Are you saying that e-mailing Sommer and Byrd (not sure who they are) helped expedite your refund in some way?

Glad you had a successful outcome, BTW.

Sommer is the head of NCL.

And no, his private ATT email and GMAIL is useless now because I wasn't the only person to look up the emails.

I don't really know what I suggest. I do not think there is any circumventing anything unless you have the money to file a legal action.... but since it took maybe a month and a half, not 90 days, I don't think that the price of the filing fees and headache of creating the pleadings would be worth it.

I truly think you're at the mercy of NCL.

I do not think there are any strategies beyond blowing money on legal documents that will work.

• Thanks 1

Well, I got my full refund and yours is starting to flow back. Take a deep breath and remember this is going on with every line. Hey, you could be the woman in the luxury  Seabourn Cruise forum who is waiting for her $160,000 refund. 😳

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mnsweeps said:

OP, sorry if I missed it..what date did you cancel? I am assuming before 3/5 as you mentioned you starting calling for refund from 3/5?

I started talking about cancelling on 3/5, but my penalty was going to be so huge, that I started going nuclear with Twitter, Wall Street Journal article, and emailing CEOs.... at this point they got me with a PCC on March 10th who was going to process my refund. He started the process at 4:55pm. But 5:00pm, Peace of Mind started and the system was unable to file anything. No one could do anything until the 13th. The morning of the 13, Mr. Sommer's secretary herself processed my refund at a penalty of only 20%. She backdated the refund to the 10th, but it actually was the 13th.

Edited by babydaryl24

I to have a nightmare with NCL and Emails a mile long. I have been E-mailing the CEO, VP of guest service and other. I even called the VP and she will not return my calls. Sail date 3/15 we canceled on 3/12 out of COVID 19 worries. They will not give refund or the 150% cruise credit... I get it we cancelled how ever they had to cancel the the cruise and did it with less then 24 hours from leaving the port..   we now have to go on NCL or lose our 2700.. Not gong to be a very fun vacation!!..
***** I would love to see a class action lawsuit on them. They have been investigated a few time already for lying about what they where telling customers and what they claim they do not know about COVID 19 on one of their ships!!!!

Any advice for my refund would be great

On 4/29/2020 at 6:35 PM, Theboss17 said:

I to have a nightmare with NCL and Emails a mile long. I have been E-mailing the CEO, VP of guest service and other. I even called the VP and she will not return my calls. Sail date 3/15 we canceled on 3/12 out of COVID 19 worries. They will not give refund or the 150% cruise credit... I get it we cancelled how ever they had to cancel the the cruise and did it with less then 24 hours from leaving the port..   we now have to go on NCL or lose our 2700.. Not gong to be a very fun vacation!!..
***** I would love to see a class action lawsuit on them. They have been investigated a few time already for lying about what they where telling customers and what they claim they do not know about COVID 19 on one of their ships!!!!

I am so sorry about your predicament. The timing of your cruise and subsequent cancellation could not have been more precipitous- exactly the few days when all the ports were closing up and many stay-at-home orders being given. Being under the gun 72 hours prior to sailing at a time like that should be given some special consideration. Have you tried disputing this NCL practice with your credit card company? I understand that rules are rules but this was a unique circumstance.

If you've not already I would try the credit card route. You may not be successful but it's worth a try.

Take care and good luck. I'd hate to have to sail with NCL too- if they ever sail again.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, Theboss17 said:

Similar situation. I had a "FREE" cruise for 3/15 out of NYC. I cancelled on the 12th for the same reason. I have $1700 laid out above the free cruise (drinks, gratuities, excursion, port fees& taxes, insurance, and admin fees). My choice was replace the cruise with something going out up to September 30, 2020 (not a typo). Or take FCC minus insurance and admin fees. Silly me, what was I thinking. I used a debit card, so at their mercy. And wondering what will happen if they cancel this cruise. I don't want to do this dance again.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, sammee said:

Similar situation. I had a "FREE" cruise for 3/15 out of NYC. I cancelled on the 12th for the same reason. I have $1700 laid out above the free cruise (drinks, gratuities, excursion, port fees& taxes, insurance, and admin fees). My choice was replace the cruise with something going out up to September 30, 2020 (not a typo). Or take FCC minus insurance and admin fees. Silly me, what was I thinking. I used a debit card, so at their mercy. And wondering what will happen if they cancel this cruise. I don't want to do this dance again.

Same situation but I did not take them up on the offer they extended for other cruised up to Sept 2020 as I did not feel comfortable booking that soon.  I cancelled on the 12th for a 15th cruise and took the FCC.  The FCC refund included the admin fee by the way so I did not 'lose' anything I paid out but I did not pay for insurance, I got the FCC about a month after cancellation.  I 'removed' my beverage/dining and daily service charge prior (on the 10th) and am still waiting for that to hit my credit card.  Getting money refund from NCL's hands is the challenge, sounds like they might be getting to the $$ refunds close to my 'cancel' date.

Edited by poffles

41 minutes ago, poffles said:

Same situation but I did not take them up on the offer they extended for other cruised up to Sept 2020 as I did not feel comfortable booking that soon.  I cancelled on the 12th for a 15th cruise and took the FCC.  The FCC refund included the admin fee by the way so I did not 'lose' anything I paid out but I did not pay for insurance, I got the FCC about a month after cancellation.  I 'removed' my beverage/dining and daily service charge prior (on the 10th) and am still waiting for that to hit my credit card.  Getting money refund from NCL's hands is the challenge, sounds like they might be getting to the $$ refunds close to my 'cancel' date.

Yeah, lesson learned,. I should have cancelled all the extras out, I honestly didn't know I had to that since it was a change that week. I wouldn't be out as much if I did. I didn't even care about losing the cruise itself, just wanted what I paid but they wouldn't budge. Now if they cancel the  Encore out of NYC in August, I wonder how that will play out with all the money put it. I guess I'll find out. So you just have port fees & admin charges on FCC and forfeited the cruise or did they give some sort of credit on that? 

26 minutes ago, sammee said:

Yeah, lesson learned,. I should have cancelled all the extras out, I honestly didn't know I had to that since it was a change that week. I wouldn't be out as much if I did. I didn't even care about losing the cruise itself, just wanted what I paid but they wouldn't budge. Now if they cancel the  Encore out of NYC in August, I wonder how that will play out with all the money put it. I guess I'll find out. So you just have port fees & admin charges on FCC and forfeited the cruise or did they give some sort of credit on that? 

Ya the port fees and admin fees only, the things i actually paid for (that I did not remove couple days before).  So the 'coupon' cruise is in the wind.  Sucks since it is just money tied up now and will not even come close to covering another cruise 😞 

That said, I just used the FCC to book a 2022 Panama on the Encore (no money out of my pocket now) which I may or may not actually sail; a lot depends on an April 2021 cruise I have booked on Celebrity.  Next April 2021 seems far away but might not be far enough for the industry (cruising and flying) to be normal enough so I might consider dropping that one too even though I really don't want to, but I am not ready to pay a fortune for a flight that might have 10 layovers when it has been almost direct in the past!  If the April one is dropped (by me) then 2022 one is more definite. 

Edited by poffles

13 minutes ago, sammee said:

I'm just going to have to ride this out and hope for the best. Are they going to cancel again in August and give me my actual money back or another cruise.

Good luck to you!

On 4/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, tallnthensome said:

Well, I got my full refund and yours is starting to flow back. Take a deep breath and remember this is going on with every line. Hey, you could be the woman in the luxury  Seabourn Cruise forum who is waiting for her $160,000 refund. 😳

Ouch that is a lot of clams.🤯