passport delays for those cruising soon.

seaman11

You are in the10 year renewal period many people have to renew this year. If people waited until last minute to renew shame on them.

We renewed 6 months before ours expired knowing there might be a problem.

Renewing 6 months before is also what the State Department recommends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Property tax offices are not open here in Maryland.

“Customer Service Announcement - Please be advised that effective 3/16/2020, SDAT's Real Property Offices will be closed to the public and the offices will only accept telephone and written appeals. All in-person real property assessment appeal hearings will be suspended until further notice. All site visits have been suspended until further notice.”

Well they are in va at the offices working. I had mine settled by phone. . Also dmv is open in nc.  

Edited by seaman11

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Renewing 6 months before is also what the State Department recommends.

It's also what's recommended here in Canada.  I've always renewed my passport at least 6 months ahead.  Just gives you peace of mind, no rush, no worries. 

1 minute ago, All-ready2cruise said:

It's also what's recommended here in Canada.  I've always renewed my passport at least 6 months ahead.  Just gives you peace of mind, no rush, no worries. 

Yes mine as well was good till sept however if they take 5 months to process it. I am without one all that time.  A lot of countries want you to have at least 3 months validity left on the passport at the end of a trip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

You are in the10 year renewal period many people have to renew this year. If people waited until last minute to renew shame on them.

We renewed 6 months before ours expired knowing there might be a problem.

I did do it 6 months before it expired. I got unlucky with the timing of things shutting down. 

Edited by seaman11

36 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

seaman11, I wonder if they'd extend the expiry date under the circumstances?  Can you call or contact them online and ask that question? 

Good luck

Funny you said that. I did ask via twitter (travelgov) and got no response. I take it they wont.  

Just add since this thread is not exclusive to cruising.....  Homeland Security had suspended interviews for the Trusted Traveler Program (Global Entry, TSA Pre-check, etc) until July 6th.  Since there aren't alot of interview locations, the earliest appointments in CT, RI or MA are in December.

So I would expect similiar type delays in processing renewals of passports. 

Just add since this thread is not exclusive to cruising.....  Homeland Security had suspended interviews for the Trusted Traveler Program (Global Entry, TSA Pre-check, etc) until July 6th.  Since there aren't alot of interview locations, the earliest appointments in CT, RI or MA are in December.

So I would expect similiar type delays in processing renewals of passports. 

That is for new applicants. A Global Entry renewal might or might not need an interview. For Global Entry they will take renewal applications a year or less before the expiration date. If you have an expiring GE go ahead and do your renewal application if you are a year or less out. I did my renewal application last week and my renewal was approved the next day without needing an interview. My new expiration date is five years from the old expiration date.

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is for new applicants. A Global Entry renewal might or might not need an interview. For Global Entry they will take renewal applications a year or less before the expiration date. If you have an expiring GE go ahead and do your renewal application if you are a year or less out. I did my renewal application last week and my renewal was approved the next day without needing an interview. My new expiration date is five years from the old expiration date.

Correct, that's why I said interviews are suspended and not applications or renewals are suspended. 

Also, the great state of NY has passed legislation that now prevents TPP from being applied for or renewed (something to do with privacy and the security background check being too invasive)

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

Also, the great state of NY has passed legislation that now prevents TPP from being applied for or renewed (something to do with privacy and the security background check being too invasive)

This is purely in jest.  Have you heard the line:  Never trust a New Yorker.

10 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

seaman11, I wonder if they'd extend the expiry date under the circumstances?  Can you call or contact them online and ask that question? 

10 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Funny you said that. I did ask via twitter (travelgov) and got no response. I take it they wont.  

The expiration date is always "floating," it's not like your DL. The issue date on my passport was 4 days before I received it. Expiration is 10 years minus one day from there.  (Is that what you're asking?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

The expiration date is always "floating," it's not like your DL. The issue date on my passport was 4 days before I received it. Expiration is 10 years minus one day from there.  (Is that what you're asking?)

Thx i wasnt sure if they were going by when they recieved it and processed our checks.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is for new applicants. A Global Entry renewal might or might not need an interview. For Global Entry they will take renewal applications a year or less before the expiration date. If you have an expiring GE go ahead and do your renewal application if you are a year or less out. I did my renewal application last week and my renewal was approved the next day without needing an interview. 

My DH and I submitted renewal applications for Global Entry this past February.  His was approved in one day, and I am still waiting for mine.  The only rationale I can see is that he is over age 75 and I am under 75.  I read on their web site that they are extending Global Entry expiration dates.  I am not likely to go in an airplane for a long time anyway. 

My DH and I submitted renewal applications for Global Entry this past February.  His was approved in one day, and I am still waiting for mine.  The only rationale I can see is that he is over age 75 and I am under 75.  I read on their web site that they are extending Global Entry expiration dates.  I am not likely to go in an airplane for a long time anyway. 

I am under 75 so age is not the reason. They probably have a question about something in your renewal application that they want to verify. Also it is possible they might want to interview you.

Can someone explain the desperate need for a passport renewal outside of a family death? Latest travel advisory is still this:

The Department of State currently has in place a ‘Level 4: Global Health Advisory,” which advises that U.S. citizens avoid all international travel because of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This means most travel insurances won't even cover you if you did travel.

I see talk of people wanting to go to the Caribbean or Dominican Republic? Did they have a death in the family there? You can still get passports for those events.

Edited by pmd98052

7 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Can someone explain the desperate need for a passport renewal outside of a family death? Latest travel advisory is still this:

The Department of State currently has in place a ‘Level 4: Global Health Advisory,” which advises that U.S. citizens avoid all international travel because of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This means most travel insurances won't even cover you if you did travel.

I see talk of people wanting to go to the Caribbean or Dominican Republic? Did they have a death in the family there? You can still get passports for those events.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/12/which-countries-are-open-for-summer-travel-after-coronavirus.html

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

Which country do you live in? I am making (perhaps a bad assumption) that it is the USA. The USA Department of State has a Level 4 advisory which is DO NOT TRAVEL (see link above). It is irrelevant which countries are open.

2 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Which country do you live in? I am making (perhaps a bad assumption) that it is the USA. The USA Department of State has a Level 4 advisory which is DO NOT TRAVEL (see link above). It is irrelevant which countries are open.

That is an advisory. Not a do not travel order.  

ad·vi·so·ry
/ədˈvīzərē/

adjective
  1. having or consisting in the power to make recommendations but not to take action enforcing them.
    "the Commission acts in an advisory capacity to the government

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

That is an advisory. Not a do not travel order.  

ad·vi·so·ry
/ədˈvīzərē/

adjective
  1. having or consisting in the power to make recommendations but not to take action enforcing them.
    "the Commission acts in an advisory capacity to the government

Yes a Level 4 advisory to not travel internationally at all.

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period."

So you'd choose to ignore it? Your insurance company won't ignore it. Why would you ignore such an advisory?

1 minute ago, pmd98052 said:

Yes a Level 4 advisory to not travel internationally at all.

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period."

So you'd choose to ignore it? Your insurance company won't ignore it. Why would you ignore such an advisory?

That was placed in march btw. And as the article says many countries will be open for tourism in june or july.  So that was a response to your question why anyone would need a passport this summer.  Yes i would travel without insurance.  

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

That was placed in march btw. And as the article says many countries will be open for tourism in june or july.  So that was a response to your question why anyone would need a passport this summer.  Yes i would travel without insurance.  

The advisory was issued in March and has not changed. Do you think they automatically age out and the USA State Department just forgot to update it or something? Could be. Call them and check I guess.

Isn't it incredibly irresponsible to travel without insurance. What if you get sick? Where is your personal and fiscal responsibility? Doesn't feel like the tax payers of the Dominican Republic should cover your healthcare costs.

Edited by pmd98052

4 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

The advisory was issued in March and has not changed. Do you think they automatically age out and the USA State Department just forgot to update it or something? Could be. Call them and check I guess.

Isn't it incredibly irresponsible to travel without insurance. What if you get sick? Where is your personal and fiscal responsibility? 

Politician's running the  govt have recommended we inject bleach and take a drug not even fda approved . So ill take their recommendations with a grain of salt.  Yes i know the risks.  There is always one. Covid or not. 

Edited by seaman11

4 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Yes i know the risks.  Their is always one. Covid or not.

OK if you want to ignore a Level 4 Do Not Travel advisory and do so without insurance godspeed to you.

I personally think its selfish to travel from a COVID-19 hotspot (USA) to any other nation given the risk of asymptomatic spread. USA has 25% of the worlds deaths and 4% of the population. Any nation allowing USA citizens into their country without a life or death reason is taking a big risk.

I also think its unfair that others might end up paying for your healthcare costs other nations don't have "for profit" healthcare - you would be a burden on their tax payers.

Edited by pmd98052

Actually US Dept of State should just stop issuing passports (aside from life/death cases) while a global level 4 advisory is in place. My kids passports run out in Oct 2021 so that will be a fun one for us as well soon.