passport delays for those cruising soon.

seaman11

1 minute ago, pmd98052 said:

OK if you want to ignore a Level 4 Do Not Travel advisory and do so without insurance godspeed to you.

I personally think its selfish to travel from a COVID-19 hotspot (USA) to any other nation given the risk of asymptomatic spread. USA has 25% of the worlds deaths and 4% of the population. Any nation allowing USA citizens into their country without a life or death reason is taking a big risk.

I think if the country is open to it and know the risks. , im ok with it.  I may even self quarantine before a trip also.  Certainly if i have any symptoms i wont go.  Im also sure they will vet with temp checks and such.  

Just now, seaman11 said:

I think if the country is open to it and know the risks. , im ok with it.  I may even self quarantine before a trip also.  Certainly if i have any symptoms i wont go.  Im also sure they will vet with temp checks and such. 

How do you maintain quarantine getting to the airport, on the plane, you don't need to have a temp to have COVID-19 so temp checks don't catch everything.

I get you're ok with it.

Its others I think about when I think of my plans during this time period.

Not me me me.

Hi s you know from our chat on another thread - we have a quarantine in the UK for all new arrivals to the UK (with exceptions). 

I do not think it irresponsible to travel without insurance - personal choice. It is not compulsory in the UK for travel  with insurance but advisable 

BTW Seaman did you get your passport yet?

5 minutes ago, bmwman said:

I do not think it irresponsible to travel without insurance - personal choice. It is not compulsory in the UK for travel  with insurance but advisable 

Of course. Its definitely a personal choice. What I am saying is that choosing to travel in this time period without insurance that would cover COVID-19 especially (and most don't) is irresponsible and unfair to the locals of the nation you are visiting. Doubly so during a US State Department Level 4 Do Not Travel notice.

And even more so when most nations have tax payer funded healthcare systems that unlike the USA don't turn you away if you cannot pay - nor will make you declare bankruptcy to pay. In effect by taking the risk, by making that "personal choice" you are saying to others that you're fine with them ending up paying their tax dollars for your coverage. I find that selfish. Its me me me personified.

Edited by pmd98052
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pmd98052 said:

Can someone explain the desperate need for a passport renewal outside of a family death? Latest travel advisory is still this:

The Department of State currently has in place a ‘Level 4: Global Health Advisory,” which advises that U.S. citizens avoid all international travel because of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This means most travel insurances won't even cover you if you did travel.

I see talk of people wanting to go to the Caribbean or Dominican Republic? Did they have a death in the family there? You can still get passports for those events.

Actually the reason is pretty simple.....

The advisory etc will be lifted soon and international travel will be allowed. If everyone follows your reasoning and they choose to do nothing because there's an "advisory"...... there will be a ginormous backlog of applications and potential issues for future travel (Canada is considered international as well).

That's why I applied for the Global Entry during the COVID shutdown - because while everyone was freaking out about hoarding toilet paper I took care of things. I have a July TTP interview because no one was paying attention and now the wait is out to December. I'm not travelling anytime soon but it will have been done and I'm not freaking out about expediting or not having it in time.

You don't run out to get batteries as a storm is approaching for power loss..... you get them on a sunny day when you don't need them.

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

Actually US Dept of State should just stop issuing passports (aside from life/death cases) while a global level 4 advisory is in place. My kids passports run out in Oct 2021 so that will be a fun one for us as well soon.

So, your advocating no international travel at all for the foreseeable future .....  Based on that, your kids passports expire in 16 months......  why are you projecting "fun" for something so far out???

Get their passport photos done now and submit their renewal now.......I have confident they will be processed by 2024 when you will feel comfortable travelling again.😀

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Based on that, your kids passports expire in 16 months......  why are you projecting "fun" for something so far out???

No they expire in Oct 21. To travel you need 6 months. So come next April they will have effectively expired for any actual travel. So if it is taking months to get renewed need to apply now. 

7 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

No they expire in Oct 21. To travel you need 6 months. So come next April they will have effectively expired for any actual travel. So if it is taking months to get renewed need to apply now. 

Nope.... the 6 month requirement is based on the country you are visiting.  For example, you can travel to Canada, Bermuda, Mexico, Caribbean with a valid passport on the date of entry (months not required). Always read the requirements for the host country.

The reason it's taking months now is because of a pandemic and government services are not working at full capacity.  Read the posts in this thread where pre-shutdown renewal turnaround was weeks not months.

18 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

The US State Department Level 4 Do Not Travel notice will be lifted soon? It will? Source?

Please provide your source that the Level 4 is permanent and the sky is falling and we should all be paralyzed in fear and stop living. 

Businesses, City, Town, state, US Government agencies, NHL, etc are beginning to open up systematically...... that is my source: common frickin sense

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Please provide your source that the Level 4 is permanent

The person you quoted isn't saying that it's permanent, they're just questioning the "soon" part of your statement.  What's your definition of "soon"?  1 day?  1 week?  1 Month?  2 months?

9 minutes ago, hallux said:

The person you quoted isn't saying that it's permanent, they're just questioning the "soon" part of your statement.  What's your definition of "soon"?  1 day?  1 week?  1 Month?  2 months?

i cant speak for the op however i would think it will be changed this month as some countries are willing to accept tourism travel. 

13 minutes ago, hallux said:

It's a fluid environment we are in so it could be 1 week or 2 months but certainly waaaaay before their kids passport expires

Edited by esm54687

14 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i cant speak for the op however i would think it will be changed this month as some countries are willing to accept tourism travel. 

The State Department doesn't change its travel warnings just because a foreign country says it's fine and dandy to visit there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

Yes but not from the US, you are the new ground zero.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The State Department doesn't change its travel warnings just because a foreign country says it's fine and dandy to visit there.

No but they can and most likely will update it since that advisory is from march. 

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2020/06/12/us-airlines-schedule-33-flights-to-santo-domingo-for-the-first-week-of-july/

Edited by seaman11

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Aren't you the op ? You created the thread...

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Aren't you the op ? You created the thread...

26 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

No but they can and most likely will update it since that advisory is from march. 

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2020/06/12/us-airlines-schedule-33-flights-to-santo-domingo-for-the-first-week-of-july/

Airlines scheduling flights to the DR are the result of that country opening its borders, not the result of the State Department changing its travel warnings. 

COVID-19 aside, are you aware that are  numerous other State Department Level 4 warnings in place? Mexico has a number of areas under Level 4 for years. That doesn't mean US citizens are prohibited from traveling there or that airlines and cruise lines don't go there. It just means that the State Department believes it's dangerous to do so.