Question for Loyal Viking Cruisers

cabogal

21 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

TAP just announced a $1 roundtrip fare (plus about $165 of taxes and fees).  Admittedly it’s in economy but at that price, could buy a whole row per person and DIY business class! LOL

Thanks, Clay!  

Now if we can just get anything back from our Biz fares on TAP for the June cruise that was cancelled.  No word on that yet.

24 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And if at that point you decide not to cancel but to make final payment, you still have up to 24 hours in advance of sailing to cancel the cruise without penalty fees.

See https://www.vikingcruises.com/risk-free-guarantee.html and other postings on the Viking website.

Thanks!

Good reminder.  So many different things going on.  Appreciate the website.

It does get confusing with different responses from posters who talk to different Viking people!

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Good to hear from you Dobie.   Hope you are staying safe in Tucson.  Guess we are all in the same boat so to speak!

As I stated, my concern is that if we hold on and Viking doesn't cancel the cruise, but instead just shortchanges it, then where does that leave us?  Plus, all the hassles of air flights, plus ports and countries that may still be closed?   But the world has greater issues than these concerns.   I believe we have until 120 days ahead to decide.

Hi Kent,

One of the problems that I see is that if we wait to cancel until before the cruise (and if Viking doesn't cancel) we get 100% FCC, but it is non transferable. So if my husband or I die or are unable to go on the trip that we booked with the FCC and the other wanted to go alone, they'd have to pay the extra $ for single occupancy. The other FCC would be rendered useless. My TA told me this, and I then confirmed it with Viking via online chat (I took screen shots). I specifically asked Viking what would happen in that case and they said that we could apply for some kind of exception, but that they wouldn't guarantee anything. My TA had it happen to one of her clients and Viking wouldn't budge, the client had to pay the extra. She and her husband had planned to travel with another couple, and she went ahead and went, paying for single occupancy. That is a concern for me at our ages......I believe, however, that if we wait for Viking to cancel and take the 125% FCC that that one is transferable.

23 hours ago, geffric said:

Imho. The service, food, entertainment will be the same. I expect that in the world cafe, that you will be served and it will not be buffet style ...but I think everything I know and love about Viking will be the same..

Having said that, there may be changes to the self service laundry.

Perhaps tables in the MDR will have more of a separation which would be a good thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

TAP just announced a $1 roundtrip fare (plus about $165 of taxes and fees).  Admittedly it’s in economy but at that price, could buy a whole row per person and DIY business class! LOL

Only for certain dates I suppose?  I just did a test booking didn't see the $1 fare.  Tried 2020 and 2021.  Google is not helping.

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Clay!  

Now if we can just get anything back from our Biz fares on TAP for the June cruise that was cancelled.  No word on that yet.

It’s a problem. After unsuccessfully dealing with British Air, LOT, RyanAir and Vueling, I just had to dispute them with my credit card company. 

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes, but first you have to get them passports

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Squawkman said:

This is why I use the same Viking rep (been there 7+ years) as he always takes the time to check and recheck before I make any commitments. Since I rebooked and earned excess FCV, I asked how it could be used. He checked and did say the policy now is it must be applied before boarding. It’s a 2 way street as unlike SBC, excess FCV can be used for extensions and upgrades in addition to excursions, tips, and silver spirits (maybe other stuff)

That is consistent with what we received from the on-board Cruise Consultant. The FCV can be used for any pre-boarding costs, but any amount remaining is lost when you board the vessel. At present we have a pre-extension, custom air, pre-paid grats (both cruises) and drinks package (both cruises). We will use the remainder for booking optional tours, prior to boarding. We could also upgrade to Bus flights, but will use our BA points for that.

While they can only be used for a single cruise, which includes B2B cruises, they also provide some latitude for multiple cruises with a short gap between them. We have a river cruise booked Budapest to Amsterdam then after 10 days we board an Ocean ship in Bergen to London. We are on our own between Amsterdam & Bergen. Since we use the same long-haul flight for both cruises, we could book both from the same FCV.

Cruise Consultant arranged and booked everything within 1/2 hr.

On 5/1/2020 at 5:16 PM, CCWineLover said:

Hi Cabogal.  Very good question, one which we wonder about as well.

We are also currently schedule on this October Lisbon to Miami (we are also on the previous Rome to Lisbon portion).   We are torn about whether to hold out or not or take the money at the 120 day mark.   I try to be positive but I just can't see how the cruise will happen.   And even if it did, would it even be any good?  Certainly the portions on the ship would be, but I seriously wonder if many of the ports will even be open, especially Lisbon, Spain, France, and Italy.   It would become a very expensive hotel at sea for us.   If we stay the course and wait, Viking could I think keep the cruise open, but just not stop anywhere.  For us that would not be worthwhile.   I toy with the idea of cancelling and then doing this cruise at a later date (but it is not offered in 2021 so would have to pick a different transatlantic).   Decisions decisions....

Hi CCWineLover, we are also on this cruise from Lisbon to Miami but we are not sure if it will happen or if we will want to go. We have the 24 hr risk free guarantee so even if we wait until the last minute we are supposed to get our money back or a voucher and we have several other cruises booked even into 2022! I hope that they cancel it if we cannot go to ports.  Like you said I don't even know if we will be able to go to Lisbon in October.