Guess The First Itinerary to Sail (No Betting)

There are 331 itineraries currently on Regent website.  Why don't we each put in an imaginary $20 and select which itinerary we believe will be the first to sail an unmodified itinerary.  For reference I recommend we use the Voyages to Explorer July 2020 through May 2022 book as website can be changed at any time.  If multiple people choose the same cruise, they split the imaginary pot.  If multiple people say NONE (i.e., Regent will never sail any of the itineraries in the book) they split the imaginary pot.  

Anyone interested?

I will start off with an aggressive "guess:"  Splendor 7 Dec 20 seven day Miami round trip.

Might be tough since many won't have that book.  But anyways.  And of course speculation about the possible sale of one of the ships would make it difficult to choose Navigator. If not for that, I would have picked Navigator, Montreal to New York, October 18th, 2020.

So I'll pick:

LOS ANGELES to MIAMI, Mariner, October 29th (circumnavigation, or its first segment, to Lima.)

35 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

April 1, 2021

Which ship and itinerary?  Or, is this an attempt at an early April Fool's Day joke?

Wendy, don't worry about the book, there are 331 itineraries (which includes a number of combo cruises) to choose from.

Edited by mrlevin

Well, I am going to make this more confusing.

I think Regent is going to lay up VOY, MAR and NAV and combine everything onto EXP and SPL. 

And I don't think a cruise is going to go until April, 1.

So...not sure who to vote.

Pcardad, we are on same page.  Explorer and Splendor in Caribbean; however, I said "unmodified" itinerary and Explorer doesn't have any Caribbean itineraries currently scheduled through May 2022 which means it could only be Splendor.

1 hour ago, barko4441 said:

I'll guess October 12th.............Los Angles to Los Angles. Mexican Rivera 

And I plan to be on it!  But my guess is for Mariner Oct. 5, LA to LA.  They can test out the safety of basically the same itinerary repeated on Oct. 12 & Oct. 22.

I agree. Explorer and Splendor.......

We are booked on the November 28th. MIA - MIA on Splendor. 
I think that will be the first to sail on its scheduled itinerary!

There maybe earlier sailings but not on a scheduled itinerary. 
That’s my bet!

sheila

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for starting this - it should be fun.

My bet is July 8th (2020) - Seward to Vancouver

Jackie I sure hope your right since we are booked on the July 15 cruise butt on  our booked cruises page that listing has been removed. I think we should give you a second chance/choice .

3 minutes ago, captjohn said:

Jackie I sure hope your right since we are booked on the July 15 cruise butt on  our booked cruises page that listing has been removed. I think we should give you a second chance/choice .

Thank you!  I knew that one was iffy but it would not require a change of itinerary while our November cruise would require that change.  

Disagree that only two ships will be sailing since there will likely be no more 75% capacity allowed on the ships.  This would not allow many passengers to be onboard (and taking them out of commission for a year or longer would affect Regent's ability to make money.  They may not need 5 ships but they need more than 2 IMHO.

IF I get a 2nd guess based on what captjohn posted, it would be September 23, 2020.  

Note:  It is difficult to find a cruse that will likely not have port changes (which leaves out most of the summer).

• Haha 1

I'll have to think about a specific cruise to "bet" on, but I think the characteristics will be starting and ending from a US port like many of those have already "bet" on.  Because of the uncertainty which will exist any time before there is a vaccine or, possibly, wide-spread antibody testing and certification, as a requirement for boarding, I think they'll want to keep the ships close to home.  Harder to deny allowing a ship with (per Regent demographics) a mostly US passenger manifest to return to port if there is an on-board problem.  Much riskier IMO to be sailing between foreign ports.  And, yes, I'm aware that these aren't American ships by flagging, but the principle of repatriation persists.

I also think that the earlier poster who predicted only Explorer and Splendor will sail, at least initially, is on to something.  First, since these ships have the best space per passenger ratio, they beat the others for distancing.  Second, and purely speculative, since they represent 15+ year improvements in ship design over the others, they are (possibly) more efficient to operate(?).

Since we have a Splendor cruise booked Miami to Miami starting January 14th, that fits the "requirements" described above.  We'll see.  The big decision for us won't be settled if the cruise operates.  It'll be that either there is a vaccine by then (not very likely) or that we get antibody tested and discover that we had it without knowing (extremely unlikely so far because we are being VERY cautious...largely due to being the support system for a 99-year old MIL/mother).

Realistically, I think it is likely that our first cruise on Regent after the pandemic declines will be in March 2022 (Explorer, R/T Tokyo).  That'll be after cancelling 2 prior cruises (one which was to sail in 2 days, and the January 2021 cruise).  Depressing to think of waiting nearly 2 years away. 

What fun!

I looked at all 2020 cruises; decided to bet MOSTLY with my heart and only a little bit with my head.

I pick Mariner, October 5th from LA to LA. because it's to/from a Western U.S. port, short (7 days), only 3 stops, relatively inexpensive and high public area per passenger several attractive following cruises. I loved this cruise before COVID19.

Otherwise, my head says that it's unlikely to have a 2020 Regent cruise except for the Caribbean just after hurricane season (about Thanksgiving).

21 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Yes, this changes everything--good that there's no money on the line here, ha ha.  We'll see if the other two biggies follow suit.  It will also be interesting to see where Carnival thinks it can sail.