MSC Virtuosa: Delivery postponed by several months

monsterl

24 minutes ago, sidari said:

Ja, es wurde herausgeschwommen, das erste Segeln war um den 1. November von Genua.

No, November 1st from Civitavecchia and November 2st from Genua 😉

013399548d_album.png

I myself was booked on November 1st from Civitavecchia. 😪

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There will be other new builds for all of the cruise companies which will be delayed--if not indeed cancelled--before they are delivered.  

We are booked on Seashore in July 2021 but I doubt that she will be ready in time for our cruise. MSC in Sweden has told me that they have no reports yet that she might be delayed but I'm sure she will.

I should prefer to change the booking to another ship but as long as MSC hope that there will be no delay they will not let me change the booking. 

9 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

We are booked on Seashore in July 2021 but I doubt that she will be ready in time for our cruise. MSC in Sweden has told me that they have no reports yet that she might be delayed but I'm sure she will.

I should prefer to change the booking to another ship but as long as MSC hope that there will be no delay they will not let me change the booking. 

Keep positive.   MSC Is very strong financially - the Virtuosa is being built in France whereby the Seashore is being built in Italy - it is most likely the shipyard with the delay and not the cruise line in this case.  We too are booked a Seashore.  

2 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

Keep positive.   MSC Is very strong financially - the Virtuosa is being built in France whereby the Seashore is being built in Italy - it is most likely the shipyard with the delay and not the cruise line in this case.  We too are booked a Seashore.  

I try to be positive but hasn't all factories, including shipyards, been closed in Italy for a couple of months?  

9 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I try to be positive but hasn't all factories, including shipyards, been closed in Italy for a couple of months?  

I look at it as an advantage that MSC is Italian in an Italian shipping yard.  It is also being debuted in the U.S all the more reason to finish.  

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Spoke to my friend today who works at Monfalcone, he is one member of the small workforce who returned on Monday, over the next few weeks more staff will return and by mid June the whole workforce will be back.

I asked if he thought Seashore would be delayed and he says he doesn't think so, Fincantieri have a large number of yards where they can bring workers in from to get back on track unlike Chantiers in France who are building Virtuosa.

The ship looks to be progressing well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sidari said:

Spoke to my friend today who works at Monfalcone, he is one member of the small workforce who returned on Monday, over the next few weeks more staff will return and by mid June the whole workforce will be back.

I asked if he thought Seashore would be delayed and he says he doesn't think so, Fincantieri have a large number of yards where they can bring workers in from to get back on track unlike Chantiers in France who are building Virtuosa.

The ship looks to be progressing well.

Thank you!

I think the main reason ships are delayed right now is Cruise lines do not want new ships right now , but delay as far as possible. Makes no sense to bring new ships online without sufficent planning possibilities for the next year(s). I learned cruises are planned up to two years in advance to have ports etc. ready to sail.

The ships are delayed because no one has worked on them for almost Two months meaning they cannot be completed within the contract time 

A blessing in disguise in one way for the cruise lines but not in another due to sales already being in progress and having to cancel the dates and find new ones, then they have to reschedule the ports.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

The ships are delayed because no one has worked on them for almost Two months meaning they cannot be completed within the contract time 

?????

Are you now saying that ships will be delayed because noone has worked on them for two months? (Maybe Seashore is fine because she shall be ready next year, if yes I understand what you mean!?)

Edited by sverigecruiser

I think that's fairly expected at this stage surely? I mean even with the shipyards reopening, there's the impact of cover further down the logistics line to consider. Some parts manufacturers may be facing delays, some fixtures, third parties etc.... Realistically I'm sure we will see more .

There's article here regarding ships across the industry that already have delays reported

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5334/?source=132412%2F

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

?????

Are you now saying that ships will be delayed because noone has worked on them for two months? (Maybe Seashore is fine because she shall be ready next year, if yes I understand what you mean!?)

As JP82 says it is not just about the shipyards but all the other services and trades getting started back up again and moving the supply chain along. 

Unlike Meyer -Werft in Germany who supply almost everything themselves including making their own cabins and steel , other yards don't have the same facility's plus Meyer are not at the mercy of the weather as they build their ships inside huge hanger type buildings.

Have a friend booked on the first 7 night sailing and though the person knows what is happening with the ship MSC have not actually informed the person.

Not sure how they will deal with people booked on the 3,4 and 7 night cruises in early November.