WHATEVER you do, ROYAL...don't......

22 hours ago, dplusd said:

Suggest you look for other vacation options for the foreseeable future.  Cruising will not be the same for a long time, if ever...

Sad but true!

2 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Yeah, it'll probably be a while, we'll just wait it out rather than cruise again. We have friends we'd be staying with, and a cool tour guide we met two cruises ago....the Aussies are very friendly people. Except one I just replied to on here.

It will open up, just a matter of when. Been there several times. A land tour in '98. Then several times via cruises. Most recent in 10.18 from Seattle to Sydney. That was a great cruise. But I enjoyed our NZ to Sydney cruise the best. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

It will open up, just a matter of when. Been there several times. A land tour in '98. Then several times via cruises. Most recent in 10.18 from Seattle to Sydney. That was a great cruise. But I enjoyed our NZ to Sydney cruise the best. 

Thanks. We've not been to Australia yet, it was going to be Christmastime 2021 originally. We might have to roll with that given the circumstances. We'd be touring the eastern part.

11 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Thanks. We've not been to Australia yet, it was going to be Christmastime 2021 originally. We might have to roll with that given the circumstances. We'd be touring the eastern part.

2021 Christmas may work out better for you.  We are very locked down here and almost everyone here is happy with that as we want to suppress the virus and minimise the death rate.  There is talk that in a few months we and New Zealand will open tourism with each other but even that is being done carefully.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-05/national-cabinet-coronavirus-travel-bubble-nz-ardern/12215316   

I don't think people were being unfriendly - just telling the truth about the response here.  At the moment we cannot even leave most of our states to visit other states - Western Australia was one of the first states to implement this.  The vast majority of Aussies understand why - to stop the spread and allow us to open up sooner.   

Hope you do get to come here soon.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Economies of scale? 1/3 of the staff required, 1/3 of the venues open, 1/3 of the tours offered, 1/3 of the product needed to be ordered and delivered to the ship on embarkation day, etc.

The fixed costs are port taxes, fuel costs, etc... these will have to be made up for.

You are missing the most expensive component.

You cant have 1/3 of the ship.

Bond payment on ship does not get reduced just because ship is full only 1/3.

You are talking about 1/3 of costs which are peanuts compared to huge fixed costs that can not be reduced by taking 1/3 passengers.

22 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would rather suffer by getting Covid than have to deal with anything on that list.  I'll stay tuned to see what really happens once cruising starts up again. I wouldn't sail for free under those conditions.

Strongly support you in that.

Problem with COVID is that harmful impacts of one's bad choices ("preferences") are NOT limited to that person.

Many innocent, rules abiding people, will become victims of irresponsible "freedom" crowd.

I sincerely wish that RCL make policies even more stricter (and make them public upfront very loudly) to deter people like you to wait out until things are "normal again".

Sincerely hope that you remain strong in your conviction and do not come aboard a cruise ship until things change enough for you to really feel free. Good decision on your part and our sincere thanks.

• Like 4

Endangering yourself is certainly your right.

Endangering others is certainly not. - could be a crime  depending on the context.

Look, we have gone over this line of arguments many times in our lifetime.

Right to throw beer bottle out of my pickup in 50's to recent, my right to smoke.

Eventually, when only basis of argument is "liberty" and the opposite side has "greater good for all", the latter crowd usually end up winning the argument.

If and when cruising returns, some "inconvenient" rules are inevitable.

Millions of people obediently take off shoes, get patted down and get personal space invaded every day.

Unthinkable before sept 2001.

Edited by hal2008
changed uncomfortable to inconvenient
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

If and when cruising returns, some uncomfortable rules are inevitable.

Millions of people obediently take off shoes, get patted down and get personal space invaded every day.

Unthinkable before sept 2001.

Not sure about "uncomfortable", however there will certainly be more rules in place to help prevent the possible spread of disease, and not just Covid-19.

These may be "inconvenient", such as reducing the number of tables in dining areas to allow spacing, or extra screening at check in that means longer lines and wait times, but at the end of the day, they will be for the greater good, and will at least allow cruising to actually happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Not sure about "uncomfortable", however there will certainly be more rules in place to help prevent the possible spread of disease, and not just Covid-19.

These may be "inconvenient", such as reducing the number of tables in dining areas to allow spacing, or extra screening at check in that means longer lines and wait times, but at the end of the day, they will be for the greater good, and will at least allow cruising to actually happen.

Agree. Corrected as you suggested.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:58 AM, johnjen said:

...get into police mode and start enforcing:
- Where we can go, or when....ZONING areas at certain times;
- Tell us constantly when to wear the mask or when we can remove it;
- Remind us of social distancing by prodding a stick in between us;
- Wait for us to board and tell us our favorite venues are closed (or events) due to lack of staffing
Now, the surveys and questions about our health status pre-boarding is fine. Just let everyone enjoy the vacation we paid for. We don't want to be constantly policed or bothered.
If THIS is the future of cruising, count us out.

Great post, I agree 100 percent!

• Thanks 1

Sadly...there is always a % of the population that believes deeply that rules are meant to be broken, rules don't apply to them, and/or rules shouldn't exist. Often they are among the most vocal people in public. It's now become a selfish and mindless "right" for some of those folks.

Rest assured, most people have self-dignity, calm, and common sense.  Hopefully the few that lack those traits don't spoil the joys of cruising on the many who do the right things without imposing on others.

• Like 1

I think perhaps there was a misunderstanding from this thread. Maybe I should've worded it better. 

I've long been an ardent supporter of rules and regulations; I am not known as a rule breaker. I just don't see the added inconvenience of going through those "added steps" where I'd feel like I'm further being regulated, monitored closely....I think this changes the game of cruising for us. Maybe we will return to cruising when things calm down a bit. This whole virus thing has turned into a disaster not only for my area where I live, it's shattered live music, which I normally thrive in on most weekends. Small businesses, horrible. And now the cruises. Unthinkable to all of us.

I wish all the sincere best for everyone on here, I hope that our future in cruising truly does not become a hassle. For now, all I hope for is this upcoming cruise to be cancelled next month...sad I am even thinking this way. Normally a month out, we are pumped and ready to go! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

I think perhaps there was a misunderstanding from this thread. Maybe I should've worded it better. 

I've long been an ardent supporter of rules and regulations; I am not known as a rule breaker. I just don't see the added inconvenience of going through those "addeWd steps" where I'd feel like I'm further being regulated, monitored closely....I think this changes the game of cruising for us. Maybe we will return to cruising when things calm down a bit. This whole virus thing has turned into a disaster not only for my area where I live, it's shattered live music, which I normally thrive in on most weekends. Small businesses, horrible. And now the cruises. Unthinkable to all of us.

I wish all the sincere best for everyone on here, I hope that our future in cruising truly does not become a hassle. For now, all I hope for is this upcoming cruise to be cancelled next month...sad I am even thinking this way. Normally a month out, we are pumped and ready to go! 

All the best to you too johnjen.  My husband also loves live music and when we travel we seek out the iconic places to visit (mostly but not exclusively jazz clubs).  He has a number of programs on community radio where he features local and international acts.  He is now making his programs at home.  We can adapt and hopefully will get back to travel eventually.  💙    

edit: perhaps you could get involved with your local community radio stations (don't know who they are) 

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Thanks 1