FDR Says He Expects NCLH To Resume Cruising In Late 2020

njhorseman

Final payment for our Aug 8 cruise is due today. TA contacted Oceania Friday to see if cruise had been cancelled or final payment date extended. No and No.

It seems unethical to me to collect final osymygir an August cruise if FDR says cruises won't resume until LATE 2020.

11 minutes ago, Andee said:

Final payment for our Aug 8 cruise is due today. TA contacted Oceania Friday to see if cruise had been cancelled or final payment date extended. No and No.

It seems unethical to me to collect final osymygir an August cruise if FDR says cruises won't resume until LATE 2020.

Did you cancel?

i would not make the FP  now & have to wait for  a bigger refund

39 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

No matter. Even a "few" vessels by the end of the fourth quarter 2020 doesn't give me much confidence that all vessels by the beginning of the second quarter 2021 will be in service. If by next Feb it looks like Regatta is a go, I'll start packing my snorkel gear and buy air. But not counting on it especially with the caution FP is taking in allowing cruise ships to visit.

Besides "measured pace" is dependent on the CDC, the interest people have in cruising, the ports who'll allow cruise ships, the vaccine and a host of other pieces that would need to fall into place. That's a lot of stuff. I still hope like anything that those who have cruises in the fall and late 2020 will be able to go.

Caution is the watchword.  But, as you have decided, caution doesn't mean one should not pursue careful and thoughtful planning with the appropriate exit strategies.  I'm cheering for you.  Stay positive and safe.

2 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Caution is the watchword.  But, as you have decided, caution doesn't mean one should not pursue careful and thoughtful planning with the appropriate exit strategies.  I'm cheering for you.  Stay positive and safe.

I just love you 1985 Polar Bear.

You are always so encouraging and positive. Thanks for your kindness.

24 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I just love you 1985 Polar Bear.

You are always so encouraging and positive. Thanks for your kindness.

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." -Mark Twain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

I don't know how to copy from another board so I hope I'm not breaking a rule here. This came from @Hlitner

"I do not think "imagine" will have anything to do with it!  There is a reality to viruses and bacteria.  Put a few thousand souls together in relatively tight quarters and the odds strongly favor a few folks getting sick.  And consider COVID-19 testing.  One lady in the White House (an aid to the Vice President) was tested every day and always negative.  That was until a few days ago when she tested positive (and she also has symptoms).  The point is that she was negative day after day until one day when she was positive.  There is no telling how many days she was carrying (and possibly shedding) COVID-19 until she finally tested positive.  And therein lies an age old problem for ships.  You can theoretically test everyone for COVID-19, do temperature checks, etc.  and folks may all be fine.  But among those thousands the odds favor one or more who might have been exposed to that virus while traveling to the cruise port.  They will not test positive, will have no symptoms, and no temperature.  But 2-14 days later that virus will show its ugly side.  This is similar to the Norovirus dilemma where the virus is generally carried aboard by one or more passengers/crew who likely got that bug while in transit to the port city.  

So my question is actually simple.  What happens when you are on a future cruise and one or more folks get COVID-19?  Until the cruise lines can develop a favorable outcome under those circumstances a good argument can be made that a cruise ship is among the worst places to be.  But as of today, the entire ship would likely go into isolation in their cabins, ports would refuse to accept the ship, and some kind of quarantine period (likely at least 14 days) would begin.  It will not be a question of "will this happen" but the question is "when will this happen?"   And based on what we saw in Feb and March we can assume, with a very high level of reliability, that it will happen within a few days of the resumption of cruising."

So with this in mind, and I agree 100% with what you say why would anyone want to cruise again? I am not willing to take the chance that I will be locked down for 14 days and then thrown off the ship somewhere in the world that would be hard to come home from.  Need to wait a few years to see how this turns out.

Edited by RJB
spelling
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Agree. Failure of REN was mostly b/o 9/11 as well as some other unfortunate circumstances - a perfect storm.

We’ll see who can make it past this crisis.

I believe that Ren. overbuilt too many ships in a short period and also remember hearing that they started to sell directly and to cut out the T/A's.  Correct me if I am wrong but I see that the T/A's are the driving force for selling cruises.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question, but in case it's not, the answer is the CDC for cruises operating in US waters, even if that just means embarking or disembarking passengers without any port calls , and the approval of any other countries that may either be ports of call or embarkation/disembarkation ports .

Definitely not rhetorical so thanks. So CDC or its equivalent can require social distancing (like removing half the dining tables), closed venues (like bars), masks on staff, reservations for all dining, etc? I honestly believe that's the only way anything positive is going to be accomplished. Leave it to the cruise lines?  Not in my opinion. Or leave the industry shut down until/unless there's a proven vaccine. The US meat packing industry has kinda proved to me that leaving it to the discretion of the industry hasn't worked.

1 hour ago, Andee said:

And then you'll wait months to get your likely significant $$$ back

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

So with this in mind, and I agree 100% with what you say why would anyone want to cruise again? I am not willing to take the chance that I will be locked down for 14 days and then thrown off the ship somewhere in the world that would be hard to come home from.  Need to wait a few years to see how this turns out.

I will also be factoring how unprofessional/unethical the cruise lines seem to be. Like as mentioned above, not extending final payment deadline while also alluding to it being unlikely they'll sail.

48 minutes ago, clo said:

Definitely not rhetorical so thanks. So CDC or its equivalent can require social distancing (like removing half the dining tables), closed venues (like bars), masks on staff, reservations for all dining, etc? I honestly believe that's the only way anything positive is going to be accomplished. Leave it to the cruise lines?  Not in my opinion. Or leave the industry shut down until/unless there's a proven vaccine. The US meat packing industry has kinda proved to me that leaving it to the discretion of the industry hasn't worked.

The CDC's No Sail Order effective April 15, which can be found here:  https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other states that in order for cruise lines to receive permission to resume operations in US waters they must submit plans to "prevent, mitigate, and respond to the spread of COVID-19 on board cruise ships". The order outlines numerous areas that these plans have to at a minimum address. A cruise line will only receive permission to operate in US waters after those plans are approved by the CDC. It's certainly conceivable that different cruise lines will have different ways of addressing the No Sail Oder's requirements.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I will also be factoring how unprofessional/unethical the cruise lines seem to be. Like as mentioned above, not extending final payment deadline while also alluding to it being unlikely they'll sail.

Their loss.  We canceled a crossing last week because they would not extend the final pay deadline.  Was not giving many thousands of dollars for them to hold on to and then tell us it will take 90 days for our refund to come back to us.  I think this policy will come back to haunt them in the future At least with us it will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clo said:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

Read the  hoops  that the cruise lines must jump through before they sail again

25 minutes ago, Andee said:

clo and LHT28, thanks for making me feel like a fool by your comments. That is unkind of you.

I was actually supporting the fact that they have treated you and others in your situation quite poorly.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

This really makes you think. Cruising I’m afraid to say has forever has changed. So many people can’t let go of not being able to cruise again as it has always been. In a sense they are deniers.....they the cheerleader guests and CEOs. 

Edited by JVNYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Andee said:

clo and LHT28, thanks for making me feel like a fool by your comments. That is unkind of you.

I am just surprised you did not cancel  in light of the current situation  World wide

It is your choice 

clo Your comment did not feel at all supportive.

LHT28 Perhaps you could have expressed surprise in a nicer way than "Seriously".

It's always wise to consider how your posts might come across. I don't think either one of you did that, and now you're just backpedalling.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Andee said:

clo Your comment did not feel at all supportive.

LHT28 Perhaps you could have expressed surprise in a nicer way than "Seriously".

It's always wise to consider how your posts might come across. I don't think either one of you did that, and now you're just backpedalling.

OKEY DOKEY

• Like 1