NCL at it again... love to hear all the NCL lovers weigh in on this one.......

Theboss17

ok another fact..... So NCL does not register in the US ( as do the rest) as I am sure you know this.. well hope you know this..  SO the CDC has no control over what they do (I'm sure you know It is a United States federal agency) and that is why they do not have the right to come to a US port and drop off the crew to send them home. But I'm sure the US Gov would let them as we care about human safety.. NCL need to go dock at their home port of Bahamas.  Those calling  it nonsense or saying I work for another cruse line... well not so much.  Again no one have backed any the facts just a personal thoughs about what I post. And I thing the is great..  Just to be clear not looking to start trouble just looking for some clear answers to all this. After all this is the Norwegian board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Theboss17 said:

ok another fact..... So NCL does not register in the US ( as do the rest) as I am sure you know this.. well hope you know this..  SO the CDC has no control over what they do (I'm sure you know It is a United States federal agency)

So then explain why the CDC can issue a no sail order and the cruise line has to shut everything down...

• Like 1

US ports. They are being asked by the CDC and complying. also the main office is in Miami so it make sense to do what the CDC is asking... HA well one thing they are doing good..  see Iam not a hater.. 

Edited by Theboss17

So a small fact about the no sail order. The No Sail Order applies to all cruise ships,  The Order applies to all cruise ships operating, or seeking to operate, in waters subject to US jurisdiction, including those that have previously voluntarily suspended operations. I'm sure there is more to it but that us what come to mind. 

Right, and the no sail order included not being allowed to even debark crew in US ports.  If they comply with some strict guidelines they COULD debark crew, but it would be quite difficult and still up to the individual port actually allowing it to happen as well.  So, they're working logistics (just as other cruise lines are) to repatriate the crew using a couple of the ships in the fleet.

Lets be clear, the CDC or US government has not prevented crew from disembarking. In fact, it has outlined in great detail the procedure for  disembarking crew in the US. The CLIA has called the procedure impractical and cost prohibitive. Many cruise lines, NCL included, have correctly chosen to repatriate crew by using their ships. This is the correct call if they are not going to meet the CDC requirements. Holding non essential crew onboard, stranded at sea, for this length of time is a bad idea.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, julig22 said:

Just curious - are any of the employees on the ships employees of the NCL entity out of Miami and therefore subject to US labor laws?  I'm thinking of the administrative staff for example.

Everyone on the ship has an employment agreement with the Captain, not NCL directly, and since his authority derives from the flag state, then they are subject to flag state laws.  The only NCL employees that are subject to US labor laws are those who actually work in the US, like at the Miami headquarters, and the POA crew, of course.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Theboss17 said:

NCL need to go dock at their home port of Bahamas.

The Bahamas has shut down all airport and seaport operations, indefinitely, so not only can the crew not change out there, but no ships of any kind are entering port.

• Like 1

Well I am not allowed to say anything negative about my employer, (actually I dont think I am allowed to say anything positive either, just dont talk about them).  Dont know the rules at sea but seems to be that if an employer cant get you home (and getting you home is part of your contract) then you should be paid.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

Dont know the rules at sea but seems to be that if an employer cant get you home (and getting you home is part of your contract) then you should be paid.  

can I get an aaaaamen

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Everyone on the ship has an employment agreement with the Captain, not NCL directly, and since his authority derives from the flag state, then they are subject to flag state laws.  The only NCL employees that are subject to US labor laws are those who actually work in the US, like at the Miami headquarters, and the POA crew, of course.

Yes sir.. I know there was more to it..  now we are getting somewhere .....

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The Bahamas has shut down all airport and seaport operations, indefinitely, so not only can the crew not change out there, but no ships of any kind are entering port.

and that Is where all NCL tax money goes.. yes???  

7 hours ago, Theboss17 said:

can I get an aaaaamen

Yes sir.. I know there was more to it..  now we are getting somewhere .....

and that Is where all NCL tax money goes.. yes???  

Actually, it doesn't, since the Bahamas has no corporate income tax.  But what is your point about taxes, when the thread is about crew and social media?  Not sure what "now we are getting somewhere" means?  Care to explain?

• Like 2

If I understand this correctly NCL crew cease being paid when their contracts expire. That seems tautological. Crew members who find themselves with expired contracts find themselves in a predicament: they are free to go home at company expense per their contract but due to covid19 the company cannot provide the usual travel arrangements.

Are crew on expired contracts being held onboard against their will by NCL?

I doubt that.

Are crew on expired contracts required to perform regular duties as it they were on contract but are not getting paid?

I doubt that too.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, Theboss17 said:

So in the news again "Crew stuck for weeks on board Norwegian Cruise Line ship threatened with 'prosecution by shoreside authorities' ..  here is the article .. Lets hear it NCL defenders .. lol..  

https://news.yahoo.com/leaked-audio-crew-stuck-weeks-212320510.html  ......

What prosecution?  Methinks someone is lying again

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

They are talking about the contract. Not some agreement with another employee. 

Are we now pretending the US is the only country preventing ships from docking just to keep this argument going?

"Just go dock in the Bahamas".....who knew it was that simple?  🙄     Someone should send NCL an email that they solved the issue.....

Edited by ray98

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, it doesn't, since the Bahamas has no corporate income tax.  But what is your point about taxes, when the thread is about crew and social media?  Not sure what "now we are getting somewhere" means?  Care to explain?

Correct tax information.  Also other lines have their own sweetheart country of registry, incorporation etc.; all such authorized by the US Law and Tax Code for off-shore registrations that are utilized by some of the largest multi-national corporations in the world.

Re: Care to explain, as the thread was about crew?  Purely intentional irritant singling out NCL and those that cruise NCL.

13 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

They are talking about the contract. Not some agreement with another employee. 

You obviously don't know how maritime employment works.  All crew, on any type of ship, do not have a "contract" with the shipowner, but by law sign an employment agreement ("contract") with the Captain as the shipowner's legal representative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Formula280SS said:

Correct tax information.  Also other lines have their own sweetheart country of registry, incorporation etc.; all such authorized by the US Law and Tax Code for off-shore registrations that are utilized by some of the largest multi-national corporations in the world.

Re: Care to explain, as the thread was about crew?  Purely intentional irritant singling out NCL and those that cruise NCL.

Actually, the US is one of the few nations that will tax a multi-national corporation on the income generated within the US, regardless of where the corporation is incorporated.  However, income generated in the US by foreign ships and aircraft are the only exceptions to this taxation.

8 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, the US is one of the few nations that will tax a multi-national corporation on the income generated within the US, regardless of where the corporation is incorporated.  However, income generated in the US by foreign ships and aircraft are the only exceptions to this taxation.

Correct for income generated in the US.  I was referring more broadly to the move by almost all major US international entities that have set up subsidiaries off shore (various tax friendly countries) for their non-US income.  It has left trillions off shore as current US tax dictum and politics continues with punitive repatriation taxation.  Just trying to note the moving goal posts by the OP regarding crew.

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You obviously don't know how maritime employment works.  All crew, on any type of ship, do not have a "contract" with the shipowner, but by law sign an employment agreement ("contract") with the Captain as the shipowner's legal representative.

You said they have an agreement with the captain, not the company.  Which is it?  

50 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

You said they have an agreement with the captain, not the company.  Which is it?  

You may want to sit back and learn something instead of trying to lecture someone who has been in the industry for decades.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

8 minutes ago, ray98 said:

You may want to sit back and learn something instead of trying to lecture someone who has been in the industry for decades.

Sigh.  One more answer, and then back to ignore.  The Captain is the shipowner's legal representative on the ship, but his marine license is just like any other professionals' license, it makes him/her personally responsible for their actions, so the agreement is with the Captain, whom the company has given the responsibility to hire crew.

• Like 2

This isn't even a US issue. You have a bunch of cruise ships, none of which are registered in the US, with a bunch of people onboard, the overwhelming majority of which are non US citizens. No one onboard is reported to be sick or dying. From the US perspective, given the current battle being fought, how does this even rise to a high priority?

US has clearly outlined what needs to be done to debark passengers. If the ships don't want to follow that procedure, then they can work with Bahamas, Bermuda or wherever the ship is registered. Alternatively, the ship is fully mobile and can work with other nations to repatriate crew, as many are doing. Alternatively, they can do nothing and force crew to remain onboard and attempt to silence them. Holland, Carnival, Royal, Princess, Costa already have responded and have numerous ships anchored off Manila and have been actively working to repatriate crew.

When asked to make a comment about the situatuon, the article reports NCL did not respond.