Happy Mother’s Day

I celebrated a memory of my mother by trying to make old fashioned cheesecakes from the Edmonds Cookbook. They are a small cake with flaky pastry on the bottom, raspberry jam, and sponge on top. They didn't come out quite as nice looking as my mother's ones did but they taste just as good.

• Like 1

Thank you Kiwi Kurzer.  A lovely day with 2 Facetimes (morning and early evening) with the grandbabies.  LOL lots of blown kisses and "we love you" from both of them and a quiet "chat" with daughter.  DH cooked my favourite dinner - and it was delicious.  Cheers to all mums whether they're mum to human or fur babies.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I celebrated a memory of my mother by trying to make old fashioned cheesecakes from the Edmonds Cookbook. They are a small cake with flaky pastry on the bottom, raspberry jam, and sponge on top. They didn't come out quite as nice looking as my mother's ones did but they taste just as good.

My mum made those too, I have never been able to get them the same as Mum’s. I’ll have to try again. As a kid I just didn’t understand why Mum didn’t put cheese in them. 

Leigh

I had a different Mother’s Day not spending it with my family, although my son and granddaughters sneaked around with some beautiful flowers for me. They were out in the garden and we were inside talking through the window. Had a video call with my daughter and grandsons in the morning. 

Leigh

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

My mum made those too, I have never been able to get them the same as Mum’s. I’ll have to try again. As a kid I just didn’t understand why Mum didn’t put cheese in them. 

Leigh

I'm going to experiment a bit to see if I can make mine better. I have two different editions of the cookbook and the recipe is slightly different in each one. Also I rolled the pastry too thin this time and cut them too small. If I ever get them right I'll post my variation of the recipe. They smell just as I remember them though, that lovely jammy cakey smell.

I could never figure out why they were called cheesecakes. Maybe they were served with cheese - a sharp cheddar might go nicely with them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm going to experiment a bit to see if I can make mine better. I have two different editions of the cookbook and the recipe is slightly different in each one. Also I rolled the pastry too thin this time and cut them too small. If I ever get them right I'll post my variation of the recipe. They smell just as I remember them though, that lovely jammy cakey smell.

I could never figure out why they were called cheesecakes. Maybe they were served with cheese - a sharp cheddar might go nicely with them.

I think any sharp cheese would go nicely with them. But the only cheese we had as kids was the Kraft block. Good luck with your experimenting. i would love to see your variation of the recipe.

I have found a few recipes, and some were called Welsh cheesecakes.

Leigh

On 5/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I hadn't heard of that cook book, so I googled it to discover it is a NZ classic cookbook. I have brought NZ Cookbooks during my travels, but not that one. 

Hope all mothers enjoyed their day. 

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I hadn't heard of that cook book, so I googled it to discover it is a NZ classic cookbook. I have brought NZ Cookbooks during my travels, but not that one. 

Hope all mothers enjoyed their day. 

It’s a classic .. You will find one in almost every kitchen. Still selling strong today .

The factory ,on the front cover , was an icon of Christchurch in its day and visitors would drive past just to admire the manicured gardens . 

140F0099-22C2-43D0-AC1B-0F8744656398.thumb.jpeg.c3c65de71309dd6eb4b5c5dad7340550.jpeg

• Like 1

It's still one of my go-to reference cookbooks, as well as where so many recipes of cakes, biscuits and slices that I loved as as child came from. The editions did change over time. One if the reasons I have two editions is that after buying a new one when the older one started falling apart I discovered that the newer one didn't have a recipe I liked in it. So I kept both.

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's still one of my go-to reference cookbooks, as well as where so many recipes of cakes, biscuits and slices that I loved as as child came from. The editions did change over time. One if the reasons I have two editions is that after buying a new one when the older one started falling apart I discovered that the newer one didn't have a recipe I liked in it. So I kept both.

I have a Schauer Australian Cookery Book, which was my first cookbook, and still my go-to-reference cookbook for old favourites like pikelets, although I have a huge collection of cookbooks. 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I have a Schauer Australian Cookery Book, which was my first cookbook, and still my go-to-reference cookbook for old favourites like pikelets, although I have a huge collection of cookbooks. 

My cookbook collection is a fair size too. Although these days I often look for recipes online - they are easier to find. 

I have some great reference books including the original Stephanie Alexander, and Larousse Gastronomique. Those, and the Edmonds cookbook, usually answer any general questions I have about the basic cooking of various things.

I have a copy of Cookery the Australian Way which has been used in Australian schools since 1966, particularly in Victoria. I read the 9th edition is being printed this year. It has some great old recipes in it. I also have a copy of a recipe book put out by the Weekly Times in around 1974 which has some very old recipes in it - I use it's recipe for scones, golden syrup dumplings to name a couple.

Leigh

46 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I have a copy of Cookery the Australian Way which has been used in Australian schools since 1966, particularly in Victoria. I read the 9th edition is being printed this year. It has some great old recipes in it. I also have a copy of a recipe book put out by the Weekly Times in around 1974 which has some very old recipes in it - I use it's recipe for scones, golden syrup dumplings to name a couple.

Leigh

I must confess to having a couple of cookbooks by the Two Fat Ladies....

"Yogurt is for people with poorly tummies"...there is nothing like cream 

Regards

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I must have a look for it once bookstores open again. I don't have many Australian cookbooks and those old classics are usually great.

• Like 1