Upgrades

Tedferg

Light hearted humor: I heard that Upgrades are generated automatically by computer 'loading' algorithms. I also see that our cancelled Sept cruise still shows as 'Active' on my Princess sign in. So just wondering if I might still get an Upgrade ???? I keep checking 🙂

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Light hearted humor: I heard that Upgrades are generated automatically by computer 'loading' algorithms. I also see that our cancelled Sept cruise still shows as 'Active' on my Princess sign in. So just wondering if I might still get an Upgrade ???? I keep checking 🙂

Can't help you with the automatic upgrade question specific to your cruise (though we DID get a free upgrade given to us on our last trip,  November 2019, without any request on our part). Re September 2020, you should keep an eye on your cruise through  the Princess website. We recently re-fared our September California Coastal, (scheduled for 26 September though admittedly unlikely to sail) and upgraded ourselves from a Std. Balcony to Mini at pretty much much no cost.  Prices for some 2020 cruises seem to be dropping, though pricing for next year sure ain't.

we also 'self-upgraded' on our late November cruise … went from a high up inside to an Emerald deck (8) deluxe OB - cost about $ 25 per day for both of us  … got a little concerned about having an inside … we will see if it goes … 🍻  next upgrade would be to regular balcony, I guess … 🦄🐬⛱️

• Like 1

I always book the minimum I'll consider. Although I've gotten a number of upsells and a few upgrades I need a balcony because I'm claustrophobic (currently have a BW as a solo and a B4 with kids booked) 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I always book the minimum I'll consider. Although I've gotten a number of upsells and a few upgrades I need a balcony because I'm claustrophobic (currently have a BW as a solo and a B4 with kids booked) 

My minimum category has definitely changed. My hubby is claustrophobic, so we usually book some kind of ocean view or obstructed ocean view. I've always said that I'd be fine in an inside, and I would have been until all those poor people were quarantined on ships. I think that's unlikely to happen again, but I won't take the chance. From here out, it's a minimum of a balcony for me.

Edited by Sea Hag
  • Like 2

On our first cruise, Alaska 2012, local TA said Ocean View would be fine however once she had had a Balcony she was spoiled. So we booked a Balcony. Interestingly she said 'Book lowest level and you will be upgraded'. We were skeptical but followed her advice. We were upgraded to better location and a week before sailing were upgraded to a mini-suite.

In 8 subsequent cruises we have never seen a peep about upgrading. We are always linked with another couple, so don't know if that affects upgrades.

Edited by Tedferg

7 minutes ago, deepcman said:

I needed my decoder ring to read this. OP, OF, BW, etc. I simply book a room with a WC . 🤔 (Water closet or toilet for the N. Americans) 😂

Cute, I almost wrote OV but decided on Ocean View for clarity 🙂

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

If our 18 day in May actually happens I'd love an upgrade. We're booked in a Premium OV. I'd like a balcony upgrade. Not likely.

Did not know there was such a thing as Premium OV, is this on a specific ship ?

9 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

There are some premium OV cabins that I've seen.  For example, the Grand has a few premium OV cabins, forward on the Lido and a few at the very aft on the Aloha deck.  

The ones on the lido are a bit larger and have floor to ceiling windows and the ones on the Aloha deck have a view of the wake.  I think a few of the grand (and maybe crown) class ships have the aft ones.  But, maybe (repeat, maybe) the Grand is the only one with the Lido premium OV cabins as described above.  I think they are balcony cabins on other grand class ships.  

First two cruises on Princess, we booked ocean view and were upgraded to a balcony.  Loved it!!!  Then with a small child, we wanted ocean view.  Now that small child is a teen, and we "NEED" a balcony again.  We are trying a mini-suite in the spring to have a little more space.  We thought about booking the balcony and hoping for an upgrade to a mini-suite, but when it came time to commit, we booked the mini-suite instead of relying on hope and luck.  Probably no upgrades in our immediate future! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

It's on Island. They are all the way forward on Emerald and Dolphin decks. Like Coral, Island also has some Window Mini Suites forward on Baja and Caribe. All the room of a Mini Suite but the balcony area is actually part of the cabin and there is a window. We sailed in one of those only other time we were on Island - the 7 day southbound portion of an Alaska cruise tour. After experiencing the ship on that short cruise I wouldn't normally choose to sail Island again but it has the Itinerary my wife wants - 18 day Fire and Ice out of FLL and ending in Southampton.

Edited by Thrak