Cruising without a passport

On 5/26/2020 at 5:33 PM, Tracey.kinney425 said:

So I applied for and got my passport March 19th, the next day they stopped issuing passports. My passport is wrong as it listed the wrong state of birth for me. Since I can't get this fixed and don't know if I will be able to prior to my August 29th cruise, what do I need to take with me instead? I've read I will need my birth certificate but since I changed my name when I got married do I also need my marriage license?

There's a passport agency in Tucson that is open and can do the correction for free, you might want to call them and confirm, but it says you don't need an appointment for a correction - it's a bit of a drive, but at least then you know you'll have your passport back in your hands immediately.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/western.html

You may also come into a passport agency if we need to correct a printing error in your recently-issued passport. No appointment is necessary and no fee will be charged.

If you have a life-or-death emergency, please see Life-or-Death Emergencies.

If you don't meet the requirements, please see Where to Apply for other options.

Edited by Jobeth66

So I'm responding to the original post.  I believe many of you have offered excellent advice in "normal" times.  But here is some updated language from the state department:

"If you are thinking about applying for or renewing a U.S. passport now for international travel, please read the Department of State's current international travel advisory. Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have extremely limited U.S. passport operations. If you apply or renew now, you will experience significant delays of several months to receive your U.S. passport and the return of your citizenship evidence documents (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificates). Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to apply for or renew your passport."

And as for going to an office in person right now:

"We are only able to offer in-person service at our agencies or centers for customers who need to travel internationally within 72 hours due to a qualified life-or-death emergency. Learn more below to see if you qualify for a life-or-death emergency appointment."

So for this unusual time of COVID, I would rather travel with a passport with the wrong state of birth (that is the only error mentioned by the original poster, which no one reviewing a passport at the dock would have any way of knowing was in error).  The state department says the error can be fixed free of charge, but would require the passport to be returned.

Are you really sure you weren't born in Arizona?  😉  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sanger727 said:

She can’t use an expired passport to board the cruise. She can use a current drivers license with a birth certificate and marriage license to bridge the name change. It wouldn’t hurt to bring the expired passport and may help get an expedited replacement if you needed to fly home. But I don’t think anyone will accept it as is as a boarding document so wouldn’t even show on ship.

Oh I agree 100% that she can't use the expired passport to board the cruise.  She's thinking along the same lines that she may take it just in case.  In fact, I think she's planning on take all items to cover her backside to insure she gets on the ship.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coevan said:

The only use for an expired passport is to send it back for a new one

If you have a visa in your expired passport for countries such as China or Brazil that are good for several years, they normally don't require you to pay for a new visa if you bring your expired passport with the valid visa in it.

• 2 weeks later...
So I applied for and got my passport March 19th, the next day they stopped issuing passports. My passport is wrong as it listed the wrong state of birth for me. Since I can't get this fixed and don't know if I will be able to prior to my August 29th cruise, what do I need to take with me instead? I've read I will need my birth certificate but since I changed my name when I got married do I also need my marriage license?

My last passport had the wrong place of birth. I was born in NY state, and it was listed on my passport as New Caledonia. I never heard of that place until then. At that time, they had just made changes to travel requirements, and getting a passport was taking 12 weeks. I never corrected it, and only one time has anyone ever questioned me about it. The agent just said “Oh, that’s a real place?” I just shook my head and smiled. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 hours ago, GoldnGrl98 said:

My last passport had the wrong place of birth. I was born in NY state, and it was listed on my passport as New Caledonia. I never heard of that place until then. At that time, they had just made changes to travel requirements, and getting a passport was taking 12 weeks. I never corrected it, and only one time has anyone ever questioned me about it. The agent just said “Oh, that’s a real place?” I just shook my head and smiled. You’ll be fine.

New Caledonia Island looks awesome!😎

The passport offices have started opening but they're working the applications based on when they came in and the backlog goes back to February.  We just applied for passports for my 4 daughter's. 2 in Florida and 2 in Texas. My wife's passport expires in November,  was told to wait until after our scheduled cruise in August to renew. Our youngest daughter is going on the August 1st Magic sailing with us and we're not expecting her passport in time.  The 3 others are going to the Bahamas in September and they were all told it's possible but not likely that the passports would done in time. 

Edited by regoodwinjr

3 hours ago, regoodwinjr said:

The passport offices have started opening but they're working the applications based on when they came in and the backlog goes back to February.  We just applied for passports for my 4 daughter's. 2 in Florida and 2 in Texas. My wife's passport expires in November,  was told to wait until after our scheduled cruise in August to renew. Our youngest daughter is going on the August 1st Magic sailing with us and we're not expecting her passport in time.  The 3 others are going to the Bahamas in September and they were all told it's possible but not likely that the passports would done in time. 

Well at least we should know in the next 2 weeks if carnival august cruises will sail

I'm waiting in the same boat as you, just want to know. Telling myself one thing at a time.

• 1 month later...

Passports are being processed again. My daughter sent hers in for renewer on March March 19th or 20th and finally received it July 18th. Too late for the trip to Europe she was supposed to take but no biggie, it was cancelled anyway. 

8 minutes ago, HeidiHo said:

Passports are being processed again. My daughter sent hers in for renewer on March March 19th or 20th and finally received it July 18th. Too late for the trip to Europe she was supposed to take but no biggie, it was cancelled anyway. 

Good to know! Thank you! 

My two cents.  I would not leave the country without a valid passport right now.  If a country locks down or there is an out break on a ship, it could result in being forced to disembark in a foreign country.  Also, if there is a sudden Covid problem, the embassy might not be open in whatever country you are in.  I know it would all probably work out, but the amount of hassle and insecurity of not knowing would drive me nuts.  I know it is improbable, but what if they disembarked you into a country for quarantine for 14 days.  Then, you had to do a flight home.  You cannot visit an embassy while in quarantine.  Too many "what if's" right now.  For me, no passport, then I just don't go.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Barry ATL said:

My two cents.  I would not leave the country without a valid passport right now.  If a country locks down or there is an out break on a ship, it could result in being forced to disembark in a foreign country.  Also, if there is a sudden Covid problem, the embassy might not be open in whatever country you are in.  I know it would all probably work out, but the amount of hassle and insecurity of not knowing would drive me nuts.  I know it is improbable, but what if they disembarked you into a country for quarantine for 14 days.  Then, you had to do a flight home.  You cannot visit an embassy while in quarantine.  Too many "what if's" right now.  For me, no passport, then I just don't go.

^^^^^   This! Spot on Barry! 

7 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

Absolutely correct! As an aside, I renewed my youngest 2 children (18 and 20) in December (they were due to expire in April). My son had a college trip to Spain and Africa in April. We received them the last week of February. I know some people go to the last minute and some forget. I have dates on my Google calendar to renew licenses, passports...and it reminds me 6 months in advance for passports and 1 month for drivers licenses. I do it for med refills 7 days out. I know people argue about if you need it. Just get it and stick in your safe when onboard.  Its not hard.

Edited by jean87510

So glad this thread popped up!!  My passport expires in September and we're due to cruise in March.  I've been holding off renewing because I also need to get my driver's license switched over to a Real ID.  My DL isn't due until December 2023, but I'll need the Real ID for other planned trips since I won't have my passport in my possession.  Lots of things to take into consideration!

20 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

"don't leave home without it"