Percentage of people dressing formally on Oasis/Allure on formal night

Wear what YOU want to wear.  If dressing up in style on your cruise on formal night is what you would like to do for your family then do so.  Don’t bother asking for opinions, you have your own mind, use it.  You can create great memories with your family and use the photographers on the ship to take some really nice photos.  The days of yesterday when everyone did this is gone, but it doesn’t mean you need to stop.  Also, you’ll get plenty of smiles from people seeing how nicely your family looks.  You’ll never see the other people again that don’t want to dress up so don’t give it a second thought.  Actually, they’ll be embarrassed once they get to your table and see the formality of your family.  So just dress how you want, wear a tux (very handsome) have wife wear her finest dress (beautiful) and if you have children they’ll be adorable.  Make your cruise a memorable cruise about YOUR family and not how others choose to do theirs.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, mpk said:

Well....    we could kick it up a few notches by making a Master Thread combining all of the following

• TA or no TA
  • MDR vs buffet
  • lounge hoggers
  • theatre seat hoggers
  • tshirts and shorts in the MDR
  • mask requirement onboard
  • no underlying conditions doctor's letter
  • emotional support animals onboard
  • ....  did I miss any?

😆

Duh, smoking

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heymarco said:

“...passengers are now checking fewer, and lighter, bags to avoid the extra fees for heavy suitcases.“ -NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/business/07bags.html

Believe it or not for me baggage is a big thing. Depending on who I fly with a suitcase can cost up to £100 each to bring. Because of that depending on the holiday we will either travel hand luggage only or one suitcase between 2. I normally travel with a bunch of shorts and t-shirts that take up no space at all. I'm ready for folks calling me a cheapskate!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James4me said:

Wear what YOU want to wear.  If dressing up in style on your cruise on formal night is what you would like to do for your family then do so.  Don’t bother asking for opinions, you have your own mind, use it.  You can create great memories with your family and use the photographers on the ship to take some really nice photos.  The days of yesterday when everyone did this is gone, but it doesn’t mean you need to stop.  Also, you’ll get plenty of smiles from people seeing how nicely your family looks.  You’ll never see the other people again that don’t want to dress up so don’t give it a second thought.  Actually, they’ll be embarrassed once they get to your table and see the formality of your family.  So just dress how you want, wear a tux (very handsome) have wife wear her finest dress (beautiful) and if you have children they’ll be adorable.  Make your cruise a memorable cruise about YOUR family and not how others choose to do theirs.  

James I think it's crazy to come on to a travel forum and tell someone to not ask opinions and to use their own mind. That's the purpose of a forum, to ask questions.

Whilst I agree in part with your comment, your advice for everyone to do what they want to make memories for their family can also ruin travel for others.

Theres alot of people on board, if everyone done what makes them happy then it shows no respect for others. Maybe for one person singing and shouting down the corridors at 2am makes their family have memories however it completely disregards everyone else so in terms of dress, yes do what you want (for me, I don't want to be in overly smart dress if no-one else is and vice versa) therefore for me to do what I want depends in part on what others do. The question was based on if 90% dress smart then I will too however if no-one dresses smart then I wouldn't either.

If dressing smart for me is that I want to wear a top hat would you be pleased if you were sitting behind me in the theatre?

Edited by amurray88
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mariefisher said:

Because of all the dining choices you have on the bigger ships you will see a big mix in the way people dress for formal night.  On the smaller ships your choices are limited and I have found more dress up except on the short weekend cruises. The one class ship where a lot more do is Radiance but I think they attract an older crowd. 
For me to say that 30% dress formal or semi formal on Oasis class would be a stretch. I have sailed on all of them and never encountered that many in formal wear. 

Thank you 👍

On 5/27/2020 at 3:36 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

very few formally dressed on a Caribbean sailing in April 2019. On Allure.

We were on the Allure November 2019 on a Caribbean cruise and a lot dressed up. I'd say about 40% formal, 35% dressy and 25% forgot to change out of there Walmart clothes. 💃👗👠💄🍹🥂

On 5/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, amurray88 said:

Interesting, we're going (hopefully) on Allure in April 2021 Caribbean....

Dress formal and enjoy yourself. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 3:34 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Yess, the cabon Stewart was named Steward and he was al so from Scott Land.  They both had relitives liveing in Englishland. This realy gives a workout to auto corect, Happy grammatically correct cruising.  

We had Stewart as a cabin steward.  Great guy and he enjoyed the irony as much as I did. 

17 hours ago, amurray88 said:

If dressing smart for me is that I want to wear a top hat would you be pleased if you were sitting behind me in the theatre?

A gentleman would not wear a top hat indoors.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, Seville2Cabo said:

Sorry, but I just think this is an excuse.  Someone pays $5K for a vacation and can bring a suit or dress due to $25 bag fee.  

I agree and they really don't take up much space either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bren61 said:

We are going on the Oasis and it's been awhile since we've sailed RCCL. Is dress slack and dress shirt ok for all of the dining venues or does he need a tie and jacket?

You will be fine in a dress shirt and slacks. Some dress formal and others don't.

Hi there 

we have been on the oasis but not the allure as yet

i have to say that  not as many people

dress up with formal wear as much any more but I think I’d say that people do go smartly dressed on formal night - but I don’t really see many men In tux or kilts - very nice -  I usually like a nice smart dress with  heels on formal night and my husband usually wears smart trousers and shirt . However royal don’t usually make it as special anymore imo. There used to be a nice champagne reception on formal nights but not so much now just like quite a few things they have stopped for cost cutting.  However if you want to dress up formally then it’s your holiday and do what makes you happy. I would always do what I would prefer and there will be people still dressed up
Enjoy 

Edited by fandash

On 5/31/2020 at 2:26 AM, bren61 said:

We are going on the Oasis and it's been awhile since we've sailed RCCL. Is dress slack and dress shirt ok for all of the dining venues or does he need a tie and jacket?

I usually wear a jacket and tie on formal nights, leave the tie in the cabin for semi and wear just a golf shirt and Dockers for casual. My wife and I always go carry-on only when we travel. I only bring one jacket, 2 ties and a couple pairs of pants for a 7-day. We're in shorts and t-shirts the rest of the time.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:34 PM, taglovestocruise said:

We have done a Oasis sailing in the Caribbean and would guess 15% are formal with another 60% of adults dressed nicely.  Kids are hit and miss. Totally different in the Med or on a Oasis class TA. Lots of formal wear from Europeans as well as a dozen or more in Kilts.  Westbound  TA on Allure, Symphony and Independence had a lot of formal dress, Eastbound TA on Oasis very different, same as a Caribbean cruise.  One big difference on a Oasis Class TA is they sail with many more older adults and sail with 1500 or so fewer kids.  

I have to say when you see a man in a kilt it is lovely

my husband wore a kilt on our first cruise and it was so nice to see. there were a few other men wearing kilts then but that was in 2005 and i dont think ive seen many since.... but they definetely should. Being a Scot myself there is nothing nicer than a man in a kilt

On 5/28/2020 at 12:47 PM, strathcona said:

The traditional formal wear is a tuxedo, it is very rare to see now, some wear suits, sports jacket but most are now casual on the big ship. Remember the days when they would rent tuxedo and do dry cleaning. Problem is someone dress up and sit beside the couple with t-shirt and rip jeans. That's the mass market now. I don't see the difference between the big ship or small ship except maybe the itinerary. Alaskan, Baltic cruises are repeat cruiser who tend to abide by the dress code. Not complaining, just the fact that Royal now cater to first time cruisers, that is where the growth is prior to this COVID. 

I have to say that has not been my experience. on formal nights you used to see a lot of formal gowns  and tuxs but id say not so much now although there are still a fair few who do. But you still see ladies wearing smart dresses and men in suits - trouser and shirt not alway a tie (my husband does not wear a tie on formal night) but the majority of people are smartly dressed and i rarely have seen jeans and t-shirt on formal night

On 5/29/2020 at 11:15 PM, Seville2Cabo said:

Sorry, but I just think this is an excuse.  Someone pays $5K for a vacation and can bring a suit or dress due to $25 bag fee.  

i only take hand luggage as i dont want my luggage to get lost. However even with hand luggage i always manage to pack a dress for every evening including formal night, so there is no excuse for not bringing a nice dress for formal night

• Thanks 1