A Question About Potentially Canceling

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't really want to wade into the mask debate, so I'll just reply to this and get out.

The experts have said that homemade face coverings are primarily to protect others from the wearer, assuming he/she has the virus.  That's their point.  

Carnival can enforce any rule they care to.  Past enforcement has been either very strict or haphazard.  My guess is a mask rule would be enforced more haphazardly, but they may get the chance to prove me wrong.

I like the waiver idea and suspect Carnival will use it in some form.

No mask debate here.

Yes...they are to protect others from the wearer.  And that's why it's important for everyone to wear their mask....to protect each other.  All you need is one asymptomatic person who "thinks" Covid happens to other people....and everyone has exposure, even if they have their masks on. 

As far as enforcement....unless they can "charge your account" (smoke in your room) it would be impossible to enforce wearing a mask on a ship of 3000.  The employees can be penalized; guests can't. 

But, OP is more concerned about being forced to wear a mask etc.   He/she doesn't have to worry.  They can't force you to wear a mask or keep social distance.  That would be "personal responsibility".

The more I think about it, if they do sail....Carnival needs to cover itself with waivers because they cannot protect the well intentioned passengers from the selfish ones.

• Like 2

People know that some people will not wear masks.  Anyone who is concerned should stay away from all public areas as much as possible.  We are all responsible for our own health and cannot control the rest of the world.   If the ships aren't requiring masks, then people who are insistent on everyone wearing them should wait until there is a vaccine to go on cruises.

I would have no issue signing a waiver.  

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:39 AM, Joe817 said:

If the cruise is not cancelled, then Carnival could very well adhere to the current cancellation terms as stated in the current cruise contract. It's a valid question though, and I venture to say that no one knows what the correct answer is. Soooo.....

Why don't you call Carnival and pose that question to them?  And let us know what they have to say?

I actually just got off the phone with carnival about this same scenario kinda.....we want to book another room for august cruise for our son & wife, but are concerned about all the current issues, etc.....well pretty much they are using their standard cancellation policies...........seems NCL and I think RCCL are offering modifed up to 48 hours before cruise to cancel for at least future cruise credit. We just dont know if we want to chance spending $$$ if mask are required and son/wife dont cruise.

On 5/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

No mask debate here.

Yes...they are to protect others from the wearer.  And that's why it's important for everyone to wear their mask....to protect each other.  All you need is one asymptomatic person who "thinks" Covid happens to other people....and everyone has exposure, even if they have their masks on. 

As far as enforcement....unless they can "charge your account" (smoke in your room) it would be impossible to enforce wearing a mask on a ship of 3000.  The employees can be penalized; guests can't. 

But, OP is more concerned about being forced to wear a mask etc.   He/she doesn't have to worry.  They can't force you to wear a mask or keep social distance.  That would be "personal responsibility".

The more I think about it, if they do sail....Carnival needs to cover itself with waivers because they cannot protect the well intentioned passengers from the selfish ones.

Perhaps they amend the cruise contract to cover new CDC guidelines. Cruise at your own risk.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 5:43 PM, TNcruising02 said:

People know that some people will not wear masks.  Anyone who is concerned should stay away from all public areas as much as possible.  We are all responsible for our own health and cannot control the rest of the world.   If the ships aren't requiring masks, then people who are insistent on everyone wearing them should wait until there is a vaccine to go on cruises.

I would have no issue signing a waiver.  

There may never be a vaccine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Sadly everything is speculation and conjecture until those first cruises depart.

We are booked on Panorama in October and if they require masks when at sea, we will probably cancel and get FCC.

How do you know if you cancel in oct you can get a fcc?

3 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I don't

Ahhh. Rcl has extended its cruise with confidence so any cruise booked before august 1st can be cancelled 48 hrs before or get price drops 48 hours before, or lifted and shifted to a year away.

Rcl prices to me are sky high, carnivals much cheaper but still iffy for sure about a lot of things.

I'm probably going to either grab a last minute carnival pack n go, or wait until august 1st to see if rcl drops prices. I do have 5 booked if I cant find any smashing last minute deals.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Ahhh. Rcl has extended its cruise with confidence so any cruise booked before august 1st can be cancelled 48 hrs before or get price drops 48 hours before, or lifted and shifted to a year away.

Rcl prices to me are sky high, carnivals much cheaper but still iffy for sure about a lot of things.

I'm probably going to either grab a last minute carnival pack n go, or wait until august 1st to see if rcl drops prices. I do have 5 booked if I cant find any smashing last minute deals.

How close can you book Pack n Go before a cruise? I've never done that.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just spoke to my wife as she is our official travel agent. She indicated that we have not made our final payment and should we cancel, we'd lose our deposit.

BUT, we've done so many cancel and rebooks because we were going to go in May, then June, even she said she doesn't know what would happen at this point.

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

How close can you book Pack n Go before a cruise? I've never done that.

Pack n go only hit last minute, usually after final payment and are always only for gty rates, IS, bl gty etc, cannot choose room

If you sign into carnival.com and click on today's deals, often you will see pack n go last minute rates.

20200601_125210519.jpeg

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Pack n go only hit last minute, usually after final payment and are always only for gty rates, IS, bl gty etc, cannot choose room

If you sign into carnival.com and click on today's deals, often you will see pack n go last minute rates.

20200601_125210519.jpeg

Thx!  I looked up Pack N Go for me and my September 2020 cruise is there, but it's the same price.  I'll keep checking.....

2 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

There may never be a vaccine.

High risk people should take precautions until the virus is no longer a threat to them.  A person could go to the grocery store and get the virus.  Cloth and disposable masks may help keep some of the droplets in, but they aren't 100%.  It's a false sense of security for a high risk person to think they are safe just because another person is wearing a disposable or cloth mask.  They must protect themselves.  If there is no vaccine, then the high risk people should assess their own risk and proceed accordingly.  Other people have a right to go outside of their house and resume their lives.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3

We booked an October sailing and only have a deposit down. If there are not any definitive answers by the time final payment is due mid-July about masks and quarantine/disembarkation procedures in the event the ship has any positive COVID cases, then we will cancel and do a resort vacation instead.

Our state now requires masks to be worn in all public indoor places and I have to wear one in all common areas at my office. Wearing a mask causes me anxiety due to a trauma many years ago, but I am dealing with it and wearing one as required. However, I have no desire to wear one on a cruise, as that is my opportunity to relax and decompress.

I have also heard the cruise lines are working on procedures to get passengers off ships in the event there is an outbreak onboard, but there will need to be a guarantee in place by our final payment due date to ensure we don't get stuck on the ship for weeks. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

High risk people should take precautions until the virus is no longer a threat to them.  A person could go to the grocery store and get the virus.  Cloth and disposable masks may help keep some of the droplets in, but they aren't 100%.  It's a false sense of security for a high risk person to think they are safe just because another person is wearing a disposable or cloth mask.  They must protect themselves.  If there is no vaccine, then the high risk people should assess their own risk and proceed accordingly.  Other people have a right to go outside of their house and resume their lives.

Well stated. 

• Like 2

We have just moved our cruise to 2 weeks later because our fellow travelers cancelled on us and we decided to change to a more convenient time for us. We had a $150 deposit down, supposedly have to pay $100 service fee and/or ? being penalized $150 for cancelling the cruise.

What I had wanted to do was move the date and pay the extra deposit required as per the new date and offer on that sailing.

The rep I spoke to had little idea of what she was doing.

Anyway, this is my experience of trying to cancel/move/rebook a new date on the same ship 2 weeks later....good luck.

BTW, we will ware a face mask as required in busy public places where the 6 foot distancing recommendation is difficult or impossible to achieve, otherwise the mask will be off !!!

Email from Carnival -

RE: Non-Refundable Cancellation Confirmation.

We are sorry that your reservation has cancelled. As you know, your cruise fare carries a non-refundable deposit.
However, we’ve extended a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50 pp service fee.

The future cruise credit must be redeemed within 24 months from the date of cancellation, for bookings available
under the same currency, and can only be applied to your cruise fare. The future cruise credit is non-refundable, non
-transferable, and any unused portion will be forfeited. After you have booked your cruise, please use the link below
to provide us with the new booking information so we can process your cruise credit.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/RequestForms/ReimbursementForm_CC.htm

Please note ,should your new reservation cancel at anytime, applicable cancellation penalties will be assessed and
the offer will be forfeited. If you receive a refund or any other compensation from any party or travel insurer, this offer
will be void.

Booking Ref: ABC123D
CARNIVAL ELATION
08/27/2020
Guest Names  
KEV
KIM
Cancellation Date
06/01/2020
06/01/2020
Penalty Assessed
USD 75.00
USD 75.00

20 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

High risk people should take precautions until the virus is no longer a threat to them.  A person could go to the grocery store and get the virrus. Other people have a right to go outside of their house and resume their lives.

I guess I'm in the high risk group and not doing anything radical but not staying home either. My mom needed thread yesterday which meant one of the large Walmarts. I looked online and found one with 5 of the cylinders in stock. No walmart has any white plain cotton in stock. I went for my mom who is higher risk. She makes quilts. So I need to pay quadruple and get it shipped or drive and get it in person.

My 81 year old brother in law went to church as soon as allowed. His church is tiny and no tech to broadcast. With my high risk sister. Hes worse than me. I was avoiding food drive thrus for a while but gave in and doing them now too.

None of us really cook. My elderly parents live alone. Lol my dad has trouble making himself eat dinner and it's often midnight so my mom isnt cooking a scratch meal.

I think we all have to live and do what we feel comfortable with. If I get sick I get sick. I have to have a life. I took my mom thru the drive in at her bank and she was reluctant to even do that much, first time she has been out of the house since shelter in place started and seen the sun. But she really wanted that thread, she is a quilter. I said no, I'll go, that's pushing it too far.

I dont like it said younger have the RIGHT to go out but not if you are higher risk. I think higher risk also have the choice. ... though braving a large walmart might not seem risky to you, it's about the most I've done lol. I intend to have a life. This virus will be around a while. Everyone has the RIGHT. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont like it said younger have the RIGHT to go out but not if you are higher risk. I think higher risk also have the choice. ... though braving a large walmart might not seem risky to you, it's about the most I've done lol. I intend to have a life. This virus will be around a while. Everyone has the RIGHT. 

Yes, everyone has a right to do what they think is best for their own health and the health of their family members.  People who are higher risk can decide for themselves.  I would never think of telling my dad what he should do to keep himself safe.  He's an adult and can decide for himself.

I've been grocery shopping for him for two months because he does not want to do it himself.  I told him that I will do anything to help him.  He goes for drives every day and also to his small office.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Thanks 1