~Steakhouse on the Magic~~

topaz123

Always a head scratcher......What day to book the Steakhouse.  I know the first night out is too crazy, and don't want to miss the formal night.....too much to do on last night.  What's a good night to do the SteakHouse and not miss out on something grand in the dining room? 

I personally like to go to the Steakhouse on the first night. I like to get a free bottle of wine to go with my dinner. I've never found that the first night is crazy. Also on the first night I'm not missing out on anything that special, it's also not one for the Elegant Cruise Nights either so I still have that to look forward to when me and the DH are dressed up and take pictures. At least doing the Steakhouse on the first night gives me the rest of the week to dine in the MDR if I wish.

• Like 1

On a 7-8 day cruise we normally book the steakhouse on day 3. Day 1 is out because we usually have too much fun at bars around the ship on embarkation day. Day 2 is out because that is usually lobster night.    We have followed this schedule on countless cruises, although we have adjusted it based on the port we were at on day 3. 

4 hours ago, topaz123 said:

Always a head scratcher......What day to book the Steakhouse.  I know the first night out is too crazy, and don't want to miss the formal night.....too much to do on last night.  What's a good night to do the SteakHouse and not miss out on something grand in the dining room? 

What I do is to go to Guest Services and ask to see what the menus will be for the week. Then I look them over and see what meal that we don't particularly like. Then that will be the night we go to the steakhouse. You can make reservations after boarding the ship. This has always worked for us.

• Like 1

First night if you don't want the "free" bottle of wine, you can order any bottle of wine at 50% off (like Dom Perignon) or you could get a couple bottles of wine at 50% off and they will be kept in MDR for the rest of the cruise to have with dinners.  That was available for us a couple cruises back but YMMV.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topaz123 said:

The first night is NOT crazy at all. That is why they offer the FREE bottle of wine or 50% off of your choice. Plus the steak is excellent and a ton of food with it. We always go the first night. What a great deal and never crowded at all. The only thing. Many may not be dressed up due to their luggage may not have been delivered by then. So they are very slack on the attire the first night. 

• Like 1

We just booked it for night 4 of a 6-night cruise on the Magic.  On the first night we are too rushed after muster and sail away, and not ready to settle down to a quiet meal.  Night two is formal night, and then we wanted one night in the MDR with the regular menu before the larger, longer specialty dining.   I guess spacing out the “fancier” meals is what we want.

On 6/1/2020 at 8:50 AM, topaz123 said:

We typically eat at specialty restaurants on night 3 and/or, on the 2nd formal evening, or both. 

✌️

On 6/1/2020 at 8:50 AM, topaz123 said:

What day to book the Steakhouse...... 

We always book the last night. It is our Grande Hurrah.   Most likely, you have enjoyed everything the MDR has to offer and the last night is always a great evening of dining and reminiscing about our voyage.  

On 6/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, ninjacat123 said:

First night if you don't want the "free" bottle of wine, you can order any bottle of wine at 50% off (like Dom Perignon) or you could get a couple bottles of wine at 50% off and they will be kept in MDR for the rest of the cruise to have with dinners.  That was available for us a couple cruises back but YMMV.

This is what I was going to recommend. The 50% off the first night is a fantastic deal - you can get some amazing wine for a great price. I like to get a Far Niente or Caymus cabernet, but the FN is impossible to find lately. Last cruise I got a bottle of Stag's Leap SLV cabernet that was incredible - it's my new favorite. I drink a few glasses with dinner, then make another reservation for night 3 to finish off the bottle.  

• Like 1

It has become our tradition for my husband and I to book the steakhouse the first night.  I book the cruise, pay the deposit, then immediately book the steakhouse.

We love going the first night - the free wine and we look forward to the delicious food!  It's a great start to the vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florings said:

It has become our tradition for my husband and I to book the steakhouse the first night.  I book the cruise, pay the deposit, then immediately book the steakhouse.

We love going the first night - the free wine and we look forward to the delicious food!  It's a great start to the vacation.

How true. I can not waite for the next Carnival cruise. Halloween for us. Then December, then January for our 50th on Carnival and then one more on Carnival for February.

On 6/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, jordanaire said:

What I do is to go to Guest Services and ask to see what the menus will be for the week. Then I look them over and see what meal that we don't particularly like. Then that will be the night we go to the steakhouse. You can make reservations after boarding the ship. This has always worked for us.

I did not know this was available!  There is always 1 night when nothing on the menu appeals to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If you cruise solo do you still get a free bottle of wine the first night? 

Yep! Frequent solo cruiser here - as long as the ship has a steakhouse, that's where I dine the first night. 

4 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

Yep! Frequent solo cruiser here - as long as the ship has a steakhouse, that's where I dine the first night. 

That's good to know 

I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of cruisers with extra obc to blow. It might not be as easy to book the steakhouse until some of that obc is used up.