Cancelation fee imposed by TA

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

"Free dinner or small perk'.

I once got particular voyage, I had 2 cabins for our family of 4.

We go free gratuities = $360

Liquor package for 2 & soda package for 2.

$150 OBC for each cabin.

And if I have an issue I don't have to sit on hold for a crazy length of time waiting for someone answer.    I just let the TA do it.

And they don't have cancellation fee's....

But your method sounds like a good deal....

Gotta call BS on this one.  I can see maybe 150 OBC , but included gratuities and a liquor package for the adults and a soda package for the kids sounds mysteriously like the free at sea program from NCL.  There is zero way that a TA will rebate to you the cost of 4 drink packages, plus another 660 in gratuities and OBC.

10 hours ago, matj2000 said:

"Free dinner or small perk'.

I once got particular voyage, I had 2 cabins for our family of 4.

We go free gratuities = $360

Liquor package for 2 & soda package for 2.

$150 OBC for each cabin.

And if I have an issue I don't have to sit on hold for a crazy length of time waiting for someone answer.    I just let the TA do it.

And they don't have cancellation fee's....

But your method sounds like a good deal....

As long as you are dealing with one of the "big TA's" you might feel worth it.  But not for me.  Our daughter in law booked with a TA and was also promised nice perks, however the TA went out of business and it was a mess getting her money back!  Too risky for me-  However, who knows, some cruise lines might fold in this environment!!  Also, I check rates for my cruises at least every other day- yesterday, my August 2021 RC cruise went down $500 for our suite- called and the adjustment was made immediately- plus we book on board and get nice credits.I know you can pass the reservation to a TA and get more perks, but again, prefer to deal directly.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:05 AM, Cruise a holic said:

This is why my DH and I prefer to book directly.  Not that in this environment the Cruise lines might not go out of business!  But we also always book with a very reliable credit card.

Not worth a free dinner or small perk to loose your deposit or worse!

It's not a free diner or small perk. It's often about 10% of the cruise cost in OBC. That's not small.

Why would anyone lose their deposit or worse?

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

As long as you are dealing with one of the "big TA's" you might feel worth it.  But not for me.  Our daughter in law booked with a TA and was also promised nice perks, however the TA went out of business and it was a mess getting her money back!  Too risky for me-  However, who knows, some cruise lines might fold in this environment!!  Also, I check rates for my cruises at least every other day- yesterday, my August 2021 RC cruise went down $500 for our suite- called and the adjustment was made immediately- plus we book on board and get nice credits.I know you can pass the reservation to a TA and get more perks, but again, prefer to deal directly.

Again, picked the wrong TA.

My TA has NONE of my money.  My deposits and payments go directly to RCI.

And also my TA does not charge a cancellation fee.  And does give OBC perks.

Edited by SRF

Since I started this thread, I'll give everyone an update.  I ended up canceling the cruise in question and after some back and forth and finding a new agent to deal with, I got the $100 cancelation fee waived.  I'll also be taking my business to a new agency with no extra fees.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, akke29 said:

Since I started this thread, I'll give everyone an update.  I ended up canceling the cruise in question and after some back and forth and finding a new agent to deal with, I got the $100 cancelation fee waived.  I'll also be taking my business to a new agency with no extra fees.

Was the agency OVC?

THANKS FRANK

On 6/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

If you can find a TA that has group space you can end up with some decent OBC.  For example that booking in an inside cabin would get $100 in OBC that comes from Royal.  $50 for the group and an extra $50 for booking more than 6 months in advance.  Unfortunately the extra $50 for booking 6 months in advance is not combinable with a balcony discount.

I thought they did away with that $50 for booking 6 months  in advance a while ago?

Edited by molly361