A glimpse into the future....

gardenbunny

The E.U. has made great progress in crushing the virus; U.K. and Canada are also doing well.  I am not clear if they doing as well as the E.U. but they are certainly doing better than the U.S.  I am very pessimistic about when the U.S. will finally take virus suppression seriously.

I think cruises can start up within a few months with itineraries that exclude U.S. ports.  Those of us from the U.S. will be unable to participate or even get to the departure ports.  But our Canadian and U.K. friends can probably go.

it is important to think about recent infection rates, not total infection rates.  Statistics on the former are harder to get.  But search on cnn.com for “graph shows stark difference in US and E.U. responses to Covid-19” and you will get the point (I wish I knew how to cut and paste a link on my IPad).

So, to my Canadian friends (in half jest): would you take a Caribbean cruise that began in Halifax!  Think of all the sea days!

5 hours ago, chloe45 said:

How do you go down the aisle the wrong way in a supermarket?

I'm not the person who originality posted what you're referring to, but grocery stores where I live have aisles marked 'one way' with signs and arrows so that shoppers don't come face to face with one another.  This keeps people moving along the same direction and helps with social distancing.  

Frankly I thought everywhere was doing this.  I personally have been primarily using grocery pickup services and haven't been in many stores.  Hopefully you are doing the same, or maybe you just weren't paying attention at your local store.

23 hours ago, chloe45 said:

How do you go down the aisle the wrong way in a supermarket?

I guess your stores have not implemented one way shopping. Florida Publix and NC Food Lion have. Walmart has been doing it for weeks. A lot of people ignore it. The idea is to prevent people from standing/passing each other as much as possible.  It can be annoying when you are in a hurry  but the rule is the rule and there for benefit of all. There is always someone who could not care less and are too selfish to consider the big picture! I would hope the percentages on a cruise ship would be better as the older set should have more sense!!

3 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

I guess your stores have not implemented one way shopping. Florida Publix and NC Food Lion have. Walmart has been doing it for weeks. A lot of people ignore it. The idea is to prevent people from standing/passing each other as much as possible.  It can be annoying when you are in a hurry  but the rule is the rule and there for benefit of all. There is always someone who could not care less and are too selfish to consider the big picture! I would hope the percentages on a cruise ship would be better as the older set should have more sense!!

Sure is the case up here, pretty much nobody seems to even realize there ARE directional lines on the floor in the supermarkets. That being said, Relativity being what it is, it's probably better to pass someone by going in the OPPOSITE direction than to pass someone in the SAME direction as your contact time is reduced ;o)  Personally I just turn my face away and move past them quickly.... 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2020 at 5:17 PM, rocklinmom said:

As a lifelong cruiser I can't imagine cruising again with those kinds of restrictions. It wouldn't be worth the money in my opinion. I am still hoping that one day we can cruise like it was before, whenever that might be. 

I totally agree with you. If I had to wear a mask for the entire cruise it would make me crazy. So for me I will only be cruising on my Rowboat.

13884504-5EA2-4CD1-92F5-DDC99AD18899.jpeg

Edited by Lucky TGO

13 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

There is always someone who could not care less and are too selfish to consider the big picture! I would hope the percentages on a cruise ship would be better as the older set should have more sense!!

Unfortunately, there have already been people here telling us a mask is a muzzle.

In public, there are some people who do not wear masks.

I assume that I will see the same on cruiseships.

Unless cruise lines do some serious enforcement...

...which they might be motivated to do.   

If they get an outbreak of corona virus on a ship, it is a huge negative for them.

On 6/24/2020 at 4:20 PM, DaisyRose said:

This is the case on Long Island, too.  Many supermarkets have made aisles one way so that you don't have to pass someone.  

Same up here upstate from you, but not only do some shoppers ignore the signs, but also the employees sometimes walking in small groups.

And I shop at an early hour and day designated for senior citizens and those at risk. But because it is an hour before the store usually opens, there are often employees stocking shelves who cannot be passed while still social distancing.

Just got back from our local ( Publix ) 

95% of shoppers wearing masks, including me

of course, one of the "5%" not wearing a mask was walking the "wrong way" down the isle...

meh

kinda, sorta getting used to wearing a mask, but only for 30 or so minutes at a time ...

may get one of the 'neck gaitor' type face coverings ... tried on one of my son's and it's actually 

a lot more comfortable ..

We are in NC for the summer and the Gov here has mandated masks in all public places. All must wear one in grocery stores etc now, no choice.  That should be nation wide if we are going to stop this virus.

we're also headed up that way in a couple of days to stay a week - beach house, so no hotels or anything, driving, no flying

got a box (50) disposable masks, plus various cloth masks my wife made ... and a "couple of gallons" of hand sanitizer, 

plus enough cleaning supplies to clean a 'hotel' for when we first get there ...

we're both NEGATIVE ( as of Monday ) 

so we'll only have to wear the masks when we go out of the house to get groceries, etc