Has anyone received a cash refund for cancelled overseas flights?

32 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Whereas mine was the other way round Marion - refund from Virgin and credit from Qantas - both domestic flights.

Leigh

That is funny, Leigh.  Qantas actually wrote to me offering a refund in lieu of credit already granted.  Virgin has said credit all the way.  I am frequent flyer with both. 

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

That is funny, Leigh.  Qantas actually wrote to me offering a refund in lieu of credit already granted.  Virgin has said credit all the way.  I am frequent flyer with both. 

I must say I was surprised to get a refund from Virgin - I'm also a frequent flyer with both.

Leigh

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good news that you got a refund from Virgin.  I wonder if that was because your flights went to the US.  I read somewhere on CC that people in US got refunds because of US laws.   I got a refund for domestic flight from Qantas, but only a credit from Virgin. 

It was a refund from a frequent flyer cancellation for the tax component. VA has been refunding those from the beginning.

I believe yours was a regular purchase of a flight (non-FF). Those were handled with travelbank, depending on the booking conditions of the fare purchased e.g. Fully refundable fares could be refunded.

Thanks for the recent information on this thread.

We had to cancel our PE seats to the USA with AirNZ in March when our 3 B2B cruises were cancelled on us- with only 24 hours notice. Air NZ would only give us a credit for the $6600 after some haggling because we were due to fly out of Australia that very morning that Princess had informed us that our cruise was cancelled and initially they said that we would lose all of the money!! We had to rebook with AirNZ by March 2021. We just didn't know what to do or where to go on AirNZ's very limited flights.

The good news is that we phoned AirNZ (after I read this thread) and they said that we can now get a refund. An excellent outcome for us.

The annoying thing is that AirNZ did not get in touch with us to tell us that we could now get a refund. I wonder how many other people with large amounts of credit with AirNZ are unaware of this new information and will be scrambling to find some way to use this air credit by March 2021.

Thanks again,

Jenny

My Mum just got her airfare Etihad and cruise Azamara refunded ...after 160 days  sydney to singapore cruise...

A long wait....... We on the other hand are waiting for deposits from Princess  ( not in a hurry... but missing out on all the bank interest......lol )

Cheers Don

I had already received my refund for our Emirates flights to Europe and had a flight booked with BA, for a flight in Europe, I rang them awhile back to see if I could cancel the flight and they said if I did I would loose my money, the girl told me to wait till near the flight time and see what happens. Well last Saturday I received an email from BA saying my flight had been cancelled so on Monday I rang them and was told I was entitled to a refund and they did the request for a refund and two days latter the money was in my credit card.So I was a happy about that, I think myself lucky when I read how others are have lot of trouble getting there money back.

On 6/16/2020 at 11:07 AM, bazzaw said:

Air Canada AC0519 on 12 Jun to Honolulu and Hawaiaan Ailines HA0443 0n 16 Jun to Brisbane.   Money arrived in my CC account this morning. So basically got all hotel and airline costs back - "just" still waiting for Cunard!!! 😞 

Hi again @bazzaw,

Could you please give me any other info on how you got your Air Canada non-refundable flights refunded. FC are telling me the Air Canada are not refunding any non-refundable tickets 😥

15 hours ago, phoenixx said:

Hi again @bazzaw,

Could you please give me any other info on how you got your Air Canada non-refundable flights refunded. FC are telling me the Air Canada are not refunding any non-refundable tickets 😥

Our cruise was meant to sail in May ,many months after it was actually cancelled in February. When it was cancelled , I went to FC to find the TA who we dealt with was on holidays so another TA looked it up and simply commented that they were non-refundable flights ( and it was me who wanted to cancel the flights) - but that she would refer it to the actual TA when she returned from holidays. I heard no further for a few months and did not even bother to chase it up because I thought it would be  a waste of time/effort. In the meantime, there had been a lot of Hoo-Haa about FC and cancellations on the News and in the Press and so about 4 months after my enquiry about cancellation, I did call them to see if there was any chance of a refund (expecting to be told "no") and my TA said " I was just about to call you - your refunds have just come through" !!  I was VERY surprised as I really didn't think I would get these and was more concerned about getting my $30,000 refund from Cunard. You should tell them that you KNOW that people have received refunds for non-refundable fares. 

I received a refund for non-refundable air fares. They were for international QANTAS flights booked through Princess EZair. Maybe that was why the refund process was so easy.

I also received a refund for 5 nights in a London hotel (end June) that was 'non-refundable'. I booked through QANTAS hotels who said it would not be refunded, but that I should check back with them in a couple of months. Lo and behold! I got a full refund. The cost of the cruise and independent shore tours were all refunded. With the latter, someone I know missed out getting a refund because by the time they asked for it, the company had closed down.

3 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Our cruise was meant to sail in May ,many months after it was actually cancelled in February. When it was cancelled , I went to FC to find the TA who we dealt with was on holidays so another TA looked it up and simply commented that they were non-refundable flights ( and it was me who wanted to cancel the flights) - but that she would refer it to the actual TA when she returned from holidays. I heard no further for a few months and did not even bother to chase it up because I thought it would be  a waste of time/effort. In the meantime, there had been a lot of Hoo-Haa about FC and cancellations on the News and in the Press and so about 4 months after my enquiry about cancellation, I did call them to see if there was any chance of a refund (expecting to be told "no") and my TA said " I was just about to call you - your refunds have just come through" !!  I was VERY surprised as I really didn't think I would get these and was more concerned about getting my $30,000 refund from Cunard. You should tell them that you KNOW that people have received refunds for non-refundable fares. 

Thanks @bazzaw, was your AC from Vancouver to Honolulu? 

We where supposed to have flown out to Europe last Friday for our holiday, a river cruise followed by an ocean cruise with a stay in London in between, have been so lucky that after all the cancelation we are only out of pocket $70, so I am just happy that we got back the money that  was non refundable.

14 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

We where supposed to have flown out to Europe last Friday for our holiday, a river cruise followed by an ocean cruise with a stay in London in between, have been so lucky that after all the cancelation we are only out of pocket $70, so I am just happy that we got back the money that  was non refundable.

Well done with refund!  Sounds like a wonderful trip - river cruise - London - ocean cruise.  I didn't realise just how many fares I bought, which were non refundable, until cruise lines started cancelling cruises or changing itineraries.  I knew I wasn't going to cancel, but I didn't dream cruise lines would cancel.  It changed my whole purchasing pattern to last minute travel!  

The only things that I booked through a TA where the cruises, had no trouble getting money back, the rest of the holiday I booked myself and I thought I would have had trouble getting it back ,apart from waiting about 80days to get my Emirate flight money back all the rest came back pretty quickly, the quickest was British Airways which really surprised me, even made money on that as the exchange rate changed in my favour.