Shopping

cmpaula

2 hours ago, clo said:

I've read more than one article aimed at us that says - you're kids don't want your stuff, get rid it. And we are with a lot. And we've told the kids in so many words to not keep a single thing unless they really really love it.

And our house (and a third - a little condo in Seattle) is filled to overflowing with things from trips. I'm guessing our living room alone has at least 20 things, from paintings to sculpture to you name it. It makes us happy to be reminded of trips.

One lesson we should have learned is not to listen to the kids :).  Our kid (pushing 40) lives in a NYC Co-op with her DH and 2 lovely children.  Like most NYC places their storage space is at a premium so DD has convinced us that we should store lots of her "stuff."  We are talking about things like more then 40 Barbies (in their boxes) and just about everything she had as a child.   We have already purged our home of much of our travel-related stuff (nobody really cares about that junk except the traveler) but DD has made it clear "you cannot throw out my stuff."   So in our case it is not that "kids don't want your stuff" but more like "we don't want the kids stuff!"  

Hank

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2020 at 12:36 PM, Hlitner said:

I thank the Gods that my DW is not a shopper :).  Other then buying a few things for the grandchildren she is happy to walk past hundreds of shops without going in the door.  At our point in life (seniors) we spend a lot more time just throwing or giving away "junk" and hardly need to be replacing that stuff.

Hank

My wife had a black belt in shopping, spent thousands on jewelry on many many cruises and pretty sure we did not get a good deal , we did get a good deal on her engagement ring in st Thomas. Luckily several years ago she said she had enough jewelry 😁

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So in our case it is not that "kids don't want your stuff" but more like "we don't want the kids stuff!"  

You could have said 'no.' Or now you could say 'you have one year from today to get your stuff out of here.'  We have nothing of our kids and never have for over 20 years!

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

One lesson we should have learned is not to listen to the kids :).  Our kid (pushing 40) lives in a NYC Co-op with her DH and 2 lovely children.  Like most NYC places their storage space is at a premium so DD has convinced us that we should store lots of her "stuff."  We are talking about things like more then 40 Barbies (in their boxes) and just about everything she had as a child.   We have already purged our home of much of our travel-related stuff (nobody really cares about that junk except the traveler) but DD has made it clear "you cannot throw out my stuff."   So in our case it is not that "kids don't want your stuff" but more like "we don't want the kids stuff!"  

Hank

We have a daughter who lives in a Manhattan apartment with her husband and their 4 legged child.They have been married 10 years and when they moved into the apartment she asked if she can store things in our house temporarily.We have her cassette rack with 75 cassettes.Her LP collection. A huge trunk full of junk and assorted other things.

54 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have a daughter who lives in a Manhattan apartment with her husband and their 4 legged child.They have been married 10 years and when they moved into the apartment she asked if she can store things in our house temporarily.We have her cassette rack with 75 cassettes.Her LP collection. A huge trunk full of junk and assorted other things.

Fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have in our house my parents photo album with over 300 pictures.I have no idea who most of the people are but I am not throwing them out.

IDK, I think it is better to let our kids decide what they want and don't want.   I'm glad I got to do that with my parent's stuff.  We did toss some stuff but most was wanted by someone in the family.   In fact, I when I visit various in-law or close friend houses I see stuff that used to belong to my parents.  We are a very tight knit (and large) family.    And, best of all, those photographs can be converted to digital files with the click of an iPhone.   

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We are a very tight knit (and large) family.

And we aren't. Bob is an only child and the kids mom (I'm the evil step!) has one brother with no kids.  I have things from my parents and grands (including a great-aunt who hid things under her house - lol).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

They'll take the money. You need to spend it now or they will later. 😉

Haha.  Kind of like spending the kid's inheritance!  I know you are saying this tongue-in-cheek.   

I hope no parent has a need to spend just to keep money out of their children's hands.  I would feel very sorry for any parent that thinks that way.  Fortunately, I think few would.  

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

IDK, I think it is better to let our kids decide what they want and don't want.   I'm glad I got to do that with my parent's stuff.  We did toss some stuff but most was wanted by someone in the family.   In fact, I when I visit various in-law or close friend houses I see stuff that used to belong to my parents.  We are a very tight knit (and large) family.    And, best of all, those photographs can be converted to digital files with the click of an iPhone.   

We have already done some of that.

14 hours ago, clo said:

And we aren't. Bob is an only child and the kids mom (I'm the evil step!) has one brother with no kids.  I have things from my parents and grands (including a great-aunt who hid things under her house - lol).

I am an only child .However,I have things such as report cards ,diplomas,yearbooks and autograph albums from every school I went to.In 1999 a NYC based magazine wrote an article about me and another guy concerning our posts on an Internet message board.

In 1990 a story about me was in a magazine related to the industry I worked in.I have several copies of that.In 2011 I was invited to write something on an Internet Blog and I have copies of that.

I have several copies of everything I have written that has been published.I have a magazine article written about myself and other players on a basketball team that won a game against a team consisting of among others a player on the Golden State Warriors and other teams who is a member of both the college and pro basketball Hall Of Fames. My children and grandkids will not throw these things out ,I am sure of this.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

They'll take the money. You need to spend it now or they will later. 😉

I am buying CD’s of my favorite singers/groups .My younger daughter has the same tastes as me in music .She I am sure will take all of my CD’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Haha.  Kind of like spending the kid's inheritance!  I know you are saying this tongue-in-cheek.   

I hope no parent has a need to spend just to keep money out of their children's hands.  I would feel very sorry for any parent that thinks that way.  Fortunately, I think few would.  

Yes, but also saying don't sit on your money and not buy or do things just to leave money for your kids.  On the flip side I've heard of kids trying to spend what they assume is their inheritance long before their parents are gone.

Anyway, that is way off topic... Shopping. My wife won't pass up a shop on any of our travels. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Yes, but also saying don't sit on your money and not buy or do things just to leave money for your kids.  

Anyway, that is way off topic... Shopping. My wife won't pass up a shop on any of our travels. 

If that is what someone wants, then why not?  

And yeah, way off track.  I agree.  

11 minutes ago, clo said:

I sometimes rode the California St. cable car home from work back in the 70s.

11 minutes ago, clo said:

I sometimes rode the California St. cable car home from work back in the 70s.

I only rode the cable cars in 1970.It was a wonderful experience.I fell in love with SF but I did not leave my heart there.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I never ate that anywhere.

LOL. I have a "famous" dish I make with it. When Bob was traveling a lot, I would make it occasionally and have it for dinner, then breakfast and lunch 🙂

On 6/25/2020 at 10:38 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I never ate that anywhere.

🎵Rice a Roni, the San Francisco  treat. Change it up a bit by adding anything you want and makes a great quick once in awhile meal. I will admit we've never ate it in SF. Way too many other yummy things offered there.  

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

🎵Rice a Roni, the San Francisco  treat. Change it up a bit by adding anything you want and makes a great quick meal. I will admit we've never ate it in SF. Way too many other yummy things offered there.  

Haha,  When we first started dating, Mrs Ldubs who is Asian, threw out my box of minute rice.  Other things too (sigh). 😬

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, clo said:

LOL. I have a "famous" dish I make with it. When Bob was traveling a lot, I would make it occasionally and have it for dinner, then breakfast and lunch 🙂

I tend to eat food from my nationality while at home as well as out of the house.

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

🎵Rice a Roni, the San Francisco  treat. Change it up a bit by adding anything you want and makes a great quick once in awhile meal. I will admit we've never ate it in SF. Way too many other yummy things offered there.  

Yep. A can of Costco chicken, saute' some onion, capers, cheese. And, no way would I have eaten that when we lived there 🙂