23 ships that could be laid-up, sold or scrapped

3 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I think for smaller ships you will have move to Azamara or Celebrity in the future 

at least your status will follow you 

they really should roll the loyalty status under one umbrella for all their cruise lines 

There is already talk of some of the older smaller Celebrity ships leaving the fleet as well. We expect our 2022 Celebrity cruise to disappear because of this. Thankfully the shiny new objects, Edge and APEX, are smaller ships. We love that class, just don't ask the old school Celebrity crowd, I think they want them moved over to RCCL or to the scrapyards. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BND said:

Out of Baltimore we've done Southern, Eastern, Western Caribbean, Mexico, Bahamas, East Coast from FL to Maine, Canada, and Bermuda.   Only had to go to FL to do the ABC islands.  We love the 2-3 sea days we get on each end of the trip and Baltimore is the easiest port we've ever been out of.  Quick parking, check in and boarding. 

Same here.  For us it's about a 2 hr drive to baltimore or cape liberty but we prefer baltimore port because of the ease.  From the time you see the ships to actually being on the ship is much less time than cape liberty or any ports in florida.

And if we want to add a hotel stay right there at baltimore harbor is much nicer than any hotel near Cape liberty port.  Unless you want to go into nyc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

There is already talk of some of the older smaller Celebrity ships leaving the fleet as well. We expect our 2022 Celebrity cruise to disappear because of this. Thankfully the shiny new objects, Edge and APEX, are smaller ships. We love that class, just don't ask the old school Celebrity crowd, I think they want them moved over to RCCL or to the scrapyards. 

I like the Mclass ships , not as nice as the S class 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here.  For us it's about a 2 hr drive to baltimore or cape liberty but we prefer baltimore port because of the ease.  From the time you see the ships to actually being on the ship is much less time than cape liberty or any ports in florida.

And if we want to add a hotel stay right there at baltimore harbor is much nicer than any hotel near Cape liberty port.  Unless you want to go into nyc.

We just drive up the morning of since we live just about one hour away.  For NJ, we go up on Amtrak, stay in Newark and get a car service to CL.  We usually add a few days on in NYC after.  

6 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

It would be interesting to see how many would be in favor of ditching the larger ships instead of the smaller sips. While I totally understand it won't happen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Oasis class made smaller and they keep the smaller ships. Also wish the new builds would include some smaller ships too. One can dream I guess. Assuming profit margins are driving the bigger ships vs the smaller ships.

The consumer behaviour also changes over time and I can't see the trend to continue to only build ships for 5'000 or 6'000+ passengers even in the mass market sector. Yes, you need the Oasis or soon Icon Class but there will also continue to be demand in the RCL brand for more destination driven itinararies. Hece eventually I will not be suprised if RCL will replace the Radiance Class in aprox 10 years with ships the size between Radiance and Voyager Class that will enable them to reach ports currently only reached by Vision and Radiance Class ships.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I've truly gone from stepping out of car to stepping off gangway in under 15 minutes in PC.  Several times. Really.

Biggest delay is getting Laura wanded because she wears LOVE bracelets. 

Nice to be a Pin in PC

Edit - we once did 25 minutes from front our front door to Majesty. Neighbor dropped us off.

Edited by John&LaLa

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

The consumer behaviour also changes over time and I can't see the trend to continue to only build ships for 5'000 or 6'000+ passengers even in the mass market sector. Yes, you need the Oasis or soon Icon Class but there will also continue to be demand in the RCL brand for more destination driven itinararies. Hece eventually I will not be suprised if RCL will replace the Radiance Class in aprox 10 years with ships the size between Radiance and Voyager Class that will enable them to reach ports currently only reached by Vision and Radiance Class ships.

Maybe Royal passes off the destination driven demand to Celebrity.  Personally I'm surprised they haven't done it already.  Its been around 15 years since acquisition 

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Maybe Royal passes off the destination driven demand to Celebrity.  Personally I'm surprised they haven't done it already.  Its been around 15 years since acquisition 

Maybe, but the vibe is so different on Celebrity, including the Edge.They tried to bring in a younger crowd with the Edge, and us being in our mid 40s were some of the younger people onboard. I would guess 80+% were older than us. The best was when a couple dining next to us jokingly asked what its like to be one of the younger couples onboard. The music when we were on was very now sounding, I have heard that they are now catering to the tastes of the older crowd more now:(.

So I don't think Celebrity would fit that purpose very well. To be fair we love both lines for different reasons and have no problem sailing on either. I would guess without massive changes to Celebrity younger families would likely not like the atmosphere.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:35 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

But as @John&LaLa mentioned, it’s only a few hours to other ports like PC, Ft Lauderdale, and Miami. He is correct. It’s a fact. Actually, you could make PC in a couple of hours. 

M8

I have Cruised from Miami Port Everglades, Port Canaveral (about 2 hours) and Tampa (90) minutes. Tampa is closest followed by Port Canaveral Everglades and Miami at 3 hours and 30 minutes drive even Miami is not a ad trip

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Maybe, but the vibe is so different on Celebrity, including the Edge.They tried to bring in a younger crowd with the Edge, and us being in our mid 40s were some of the younger people onboard. I would guess 80+% were older than us. The best was when a couple dining next to us jokingly asked what its like to be one of the younger couples onboard. The music when we were on was very now sounding, I have heard that they are now catering to the tastes of the older crowd more now:(.

So I don't think Celebrity would fit that purpose very well. To be fair we love both lines for different reasons and have no problem sailing on either. I would guess without massive changes to Celebrity younger families would likely not like the atmosphere.

Who wants to travel with young kids in the Med , Baltic Sea or on Transatlantic 

the less kids the better 😁

Edited by Airbalancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1