What is Your Favorite First Morning Breakfast...

BklynBoy8

23 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Maybe ham is listed elsewhere, not in Sides?  What other sections might there be?  Fruits?  Meats?  Breads and pastries?  Cereals?

Hmm, now I'm getting hungry.  Maybe some Breakfast for Supper.

The pleasure that I receive in reading menus that are posted is to see the variety of items offered.  Often, there are dishes listed that are totally new to me and I have to research to learn what they are.  When I learn about them, I almost always think I would enjoy them.  The different varieties of the same kind of "meat", such as the different hams and sausages, intrigues me.  

The cruise ship menus of today offer many choices.  But, when one compares them to the menus, particularly the First Class menus of the 1950's, today's cruise ship guests are enjoying only a small fraction of the "delights of yesteryear" on any given menu.    

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The pleasure that I receive in reading menus that are posted is to see the variety of items offered.  Often, there are dishes listed that are totally new to me and I have to research to learn what they are.  When I learn about them, I almost always think I would enjoy them.  The different varieties of the same kind of "meat", such as the different hams and sausages, intrigues me.  

The cruise ship menus of today offer many choices.  But, when one compares them to the menus, particularly the First Class menus of the 1950's, today's cruise ship guests are enjoying only a small fraction of the "delights of yesteryear" on any given menu.    

I too like to read the menus I have collected or seen on the boards to see what I may be interested to having on board. Or ask if able to tableside be made. Sort of items I would not make at home.

Even on a cold winter evening maybe with some snow, sit with a cup hot chocolate and look at menus months before to build the excitement and anticipation.

The one thing I like to avoid on board and even in regular restaurants is to get caught up with conversation and distractions when looking at the menus. I like to read the menus and study the dishes composition and what they would be like. And not make a mistake with a dish I would displease. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

The one thing I like to avoid on board and even in regular restaurants is to get caught up with conversation and distractions when looking at the menus. I like to read the menus and study the dishes composition and what they would be like. And not make a mistake with a dish I would displease. 

You just reminded me of a table we had on a cruise a few years ago.  

We were seated with a woman who talked non-stop from the moment she arrived.   Eventually I learned I could tune her out (she didn't require responses to continue) long enough to study the menu myself.  Apparently, she didn't put enough study into her choices.

Menu:  cream of chicken soup

She:  "I'll have the chicken soup."

Soup arrives.  

She:  "This Is Cream Soup!  I Don't Eat Cream Soup!"

Menu:  Lobster ravioli

She:  "I'll have this lobster dish."

Ravioli arrives.

She:  "I Ordered Lobster!!  Take This Away!"

And so on.

She never did heed my suggestion that we could all take a few moments and peruse the menu.

Normally, we love a table with lots of back and forth conversation.  We've been known to be the last table still talking at night.  Not that time.....

Now to dig out my vintage menus.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

You just reminded me of a table we had on a cruise a few years ago.  

We were seated with a woman who talked non-stop from the moment she arrived.   Eventually I learned I could tune her out (she didn't require responses to continue) long enough to study the menu myself.  Apparently, she didn't put enough study into her choices.

Menu:  cream of chicken soup

She:  "I'll have the chicken soup."

Soup arrives.  

She:  "This Is Cream Soup!  I Don't Eat Cream Soup!"

Menu:  Lobster ravioli

She:  "I'll have this lobster dish."

Ravioli arrives.

She:  "I Ordered Lobster!!  Take This Away!"

And so on.

She never did heed my suggestion that we could all take a few moments and peruse the menu.

Normally, we love a table with lots of back and forth conversation.  We've been known to be the last table still talking at night.  Not that time.....

Now to dig out my vintage menus.....

Once was at a table for 6 where there were only 4 of us.  On the 3rd evening, our Table Captain sat 2 ladies, a Mother and an adult daughter.  The 4 of us were engaged in conversation.  The Mother's bottom had not yet hit her chair's seat before she started talking and it was about nothing the rest of us were discussing.  She dominated the conversation and would have little regard for what the rest of us wanted to discuss.  All of us were "fed up" with her behavior.  We indicated our dissatisfaction to the Table Captain, who himself was very officious; he "blew us off" which made the situation worse.  After 2 more nights of this,  after dinner, I confronted him, telling him in no uncertain terms that we were "fed up" with his attitude and with these two women.  We wanted them moved!  The next night, they were gone (finally given a table for two, he informed us).  (Our table was the 3rd table that they had been seated.)  And, his attitude improved as well.  The last night, when I was distributing extra gratuities to the Steward and the Wine Stewardess, he was "hanging around".  He did not receive an envelope.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Once was at a table for 6 where there were only 4 of us.  On the 3rd evening, our Table Captain sat 2 ladies, a Mother and an adult daughter.  The 4 of us were engaged in conversation.  The Mother's bottom had not yet hit her chair's seat before she started talking and it was about nothing the rest of us were discussing.  She dominated the conversation and would have little regard for what the rest of us wanted to discuss.  All of us were "fed up" with her behavior.  We indicated our dissatisfaction to the Table Captain, who himself was very officious; he "blew us off" which made the situation worse.  After 2 more nights of this,  after dinner, I confronted him, telling him in no uncertain terms that we were "fed up" with his attitude and with these two women.  We wanted them moved!  The next night, they were gone (finally given a table for two, he informed us).  (Our table was the 3rd table that they had been seated.)  And, his attitude improved as well.  The last night, when I was distributing extra gratuities to the Steward and the Wine Stewardess, he was "hanging around".  He did not receive an envelope.  

As many know I like hosting Roll Calls on my sailings and enjoying meeting other passengers on board around the ship. Also sitting at the shows, shops and lounges but we like to always sit at a table of 2 during our sailings and enjoy a quiet meals together.

The only time we sat with a group was once at the Captain's Table on a Caribbean cruise on the QM2 and on the QE2 as a favor.

On the QE2 their was a couple that asked if they can sit with a couple being a first sailing. Our Columbia Restaurant's D'M ask if we could host this couple. We acknowledge and it was fun. They came from Qx, NYC and out of sorts on board. We socialized and helped them with the menus. Even able at that time to have several requests made for us which they were delighted to share. It was interesting to host. But again we do like a quiet time during meals together.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I wonder if the people who regularly get moved to other tables ever catch on to the fact that they are the problem.

No.  They are too "absorbed into themselves" to realize that, in my opinion.  

28 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On the QE2 their was a couple that asked if they can sit with a couple being a first sailing. Our Columbia Restaurant's D'M ask if we could host this couple. We acknowledge and it was fun. They came from Qx, NYC and out of sorts on board. We socialized and helped them with the menus. Even able at that time to have several requests made for us which they were delighted to share. It was interesting to host.

One of the things that I enjoy doing during a cruise is meeting those who are new to cruising.  My "teacher's hat" appears on my head and I delight in answering questions and providing some suggestions to these new-to-cruising.  

I am very reluctant to reveal my cruising history to a fellow guest.  If asked, I will say something like, "I have been on several".  If pressed, I will expand on that answer.  But, I like "helping people".  And, I believe, that I have provided useful information/tips to the newbies whom I have met.  Understanding their dining situation and the menus offered sometimes is an area where assistance seems to be needed.  And, I think, appreciated by those new to cruising.

Talk about thread drift from the original topic:  this is a good example of such!   And, I plead guilty to contributing to it.  But, it's interesting and, if any others reading this thread who are new to cruising, I hope they will be assured that there are those of us who are willing to give them a "guiding hand".  

Shall we drift over to ask what everyone is doing, food-wise and otherwise, for New Years Eve and New Years Day?

The two of us are having ham and eggs for dinner tonight.

We are NOT attending our city's downtown extravaganza with many thousands of people crowding the sidewalks, theaters, galleries and restaurants.

Tomorrow, Mr. S. is making a fresh ham (pork roast) to share with a good friend who is also a very talented cook.  Another nice day at home.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year to you and all of the others who participate on this Forum!  

I’m not wishing everyone a Happy New Year this time around.  I’m offering everyone A Better New Year because it HAS TO BE BETTER than 2021!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Shall we drift over to ask what everyone is doing, food-wise and otherwise, for New Years Eve and New Years Day?

The two of us are having ham and eggs for dinner tonight.

We are NOT attending our city's downtown extravaganza with many thousands of people crowding the sidewalks, theaters, galleries and restaurants.

Tomorrow, Mr. S. is making a fresh ham (pork roast) to share with a good friend who is also a very talented cook.  Another nice day at home.

We are also hunkering down tonight and tomorrow.  I made a small pizza tonight and we are having my “Christmas Dip” and a crab and seafood dip.  Tomorrow we will go easy as I have to weigh in at Dialysis on Sunday morning.  Holidays are killers when it comes to weight!  Tomorrow we will have a brunch of roast beef hash that I made out of our wonderful strip loin Christmas roast.  That will go with poached eggs and baked beans.  I know…boring but at least I won’t overeat.  I am saving a nice spiral ham for next weekend.
I’m not even having a sip of Champagne tonight…so sad…😪

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We are also hunkering down tonight and tomorrow.  I made a small pizza tonight and we are having my “Christmas Dip” and a crab and seafood dip.  Tomorrow we will go easy as I have to weigh in at Dialysis on Sunday morning.  Holidays are killers when it comes to weight!  Tomorrow we will have a brunch of roast beef hash that I made out of our wonderful strip loin Christmas roast.  That will go with poached eggs and baked beans.  I know…boring but at least I won’t overeat.  I am saving a nice spiral ham for next weekend.
I’m not even having a sip of Champagne tonight…so sad…😪

CORRECTION: DW just ordered (requested) me to make linguine in clam sauce for tomorrow…lol.  Happy (at least an improved) New Year!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New Year's Eve was spent watching football games with a favorite Cassano's Big Cheese Pizza with Black Olives ordered for dinner.  New Year's Day began with a "sinful" breakfast, according to my cardiologist, that included a half of a grapefruit.  Dinner was slow cooked Pork Country Ribs and Sauerkraut (which will provide several leftovers) with a dessert of Graeter's Peppermint Stick Ice Cream.  This day after New Year's will be leftovers.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

New Year's Eve was spent watching football games with a favorite Cassano's Big Cheese Pizza with Black Olives ordered for dinner.  New Year's Day began with a "sinful" breakfast, according to my cardiologist, that included a half of a grapefruit.  Dinner was slow cooked Pork Country Ribs and Sauerkraut (which will provide several leftovers) with a dessert of Graeter's Peppermint Stick Ice Cream.  This day after New Year's will be leftovers.  

Peppermint stick ice cream with hot fudge, marshmallow and salted nuts…my favorite!  I’ll keep trying to expand your horizons RK…lol.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Peppermint stick ice cream with hot fudge, marshmallow and salted nuts…my favorite!  I’ll keep trying to expand your horizons RK…lol.

Sounds delicious.  Just what I need!  More calories!  

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I find EB a bit bland with Canadian bacon.  Now EB made with a good smoked pit ham…yummmmmm!

I agree a better ham could do the trick.

Never tried the EB with Smoked Salmon. Maybe someday.

Crab Benedict is something that I cannot resist when I am a guest at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver.  Their version is delicious.

I tend to gravitate to ordering not normal breakfast entrees for me when I am traveling.  However, there are "limits" to that.  Congee?  Tried it; twice; not again.  I feel the same way about Grits and have tried them more than twice.